CFZ Handle the Dak vs Rush Tension Internally, Coop Rush is a Starter in the League

Pass2Run

Reaction score
General Takeaway from the Cowboys vs. Commanders Convincing Win

Firstly, kudos to Mike McCarthy, Kellen Moore, and of course Cooper Rush, et al, and, of course, Dan Quinn, the leaders and 12th man of the Dirty Dozen.

Take Away from Game 4 - QBs & Interpersonal Tension

Tonight, I could visibly see the tension between Cooper Rush and Dak. And the media was shamelessly making a spectacle of it, because that sells. People like showing awkward, extreme moments. That's the new gimmick. Old click bait meet new bait. I hope the team ignores the media drama and click bait trash style journalism that will undoubtedly occur after this week.

Say it Fans; I Support Dak Prescott

Seriously. I will not join the hate wagon. I will not hold grudges against Dak, because he catches undeserved hate from impatient fans who don't understand that football isa team sport. I'd never take away anything from Dak. He was a fourth rounder who has accomplished a lot. But his best years have been just making simple reads and conducting the offense to victories. He's not a bad player. Get over yourself if you're arguing he is.

Reiterating McCarthy's Role in Recent Success

McCarthy has stepped in nicely and shaped up the overall state of the team. Including bringing Kellen Moore up to speed for what the future of this year entailed in the NFL. McCarthy is an orchestrator and Moore is the conductor. No need to be snide to one another. The more genuinely you respect each other on an interpersonal level, and handle this situation, together, the better the outcome because two minds is always better than one. But it's been nice seeing the team handle these issues without spoiling and making it into a spectacle that ruins people's lives. Let them all learn from it from McCarty, from the difficult situation this seasons start has put Dak and Rush in to handling it like mature, healthy adults for the sake of the overall team.

Football can teach you about life because it takes a team. Backups play a role. Starters play a role. And sometimes roles switch. And life turns out differently. We've seen this before. Dak's career is not over, and Rush hasn't necessarily won the spot as the starter. Don't play into that crap this week. Just go in and win; do the job as a team.

Rush's Success Disproves the Bus Driver Myth as "Bad Thing"

I will reiterate: being a bus driver isn't a bad thing. Bus drivers can win games. Bus drivers are smart players who stay cool, calm, and make key plays to guide the whole team to the finish line. Our team is not centered around super stars. Cooper Rush is undefeated — all he does is drive the bus, and wins. The team wins. And I like that. Everyone likes it.

Shout Out to Gallup

In fact, I like something about each of our guys down to the practice squad to be able to make plays on both sides of the ball, at every position on the team for the first time in a long time. I wrote a thread earlier in the year that Gallup was the X-factor, and I would argue he was the ultimate X-factor today, coming in after his injury.

Patience Cooper Rush; Everyone Can See You Will Start for a Team

Cooper Rush played like a top 10 NFL quarterback down the stretch. And I'd say he's not fluke at all.

The patience of Cooper Rush has paid off for not only himself but the team. I for one could see how it's better for Dak to heal on the sidelines while Cooper Rush plays the next two or so games. He has earned them, and I am proud of Cooper Rush.

False Dichotomies, and Troll-like Drama

Don't fall for the media hype. I support both players. End of story.

They are both good quarterbacks in their own right. It doesn't have to be one vs the other.

Rush will start for a team someday. He has really proven how wrong I was for thinking he couldn't get it done in 2022.

Not Matter Who Starts, Dak Earned his Support from Majority of Cowboy Fans

Never forget it. Most fans support Prescott. And it's hard not to like Cooper Rush. So, to reiterate my point, the media will try to shape this great situation into some sort of negative, tabloid-esque dilemma, because that's what sells.

It's up to McCarthy here to attend to these issues so they don't escalate and negatively impact the team's state of overall cohesion.

Last edited:

jrumann59

Reaction score
Rush's biggest issue is arm talent, he does not have a strong arm as long as you do not ask him to make the throws that require the arm talent he can be a bridge starter in the NFL for a team. He is not a frontline starter but the gap between frontline starting QBs and middle of the pack is not huge. Look at the history of the NFL guys that languished become starters Alex Smith, Kurt Warner, Rich Gannon, Marc Bulger, Trent Green, Fitzpatrick. Kosar had a long career of being noodle arm, Brad Johnson won a super bowl with a noodle arm, Brunell had a borderline arm and had a long career. If Rush is in the right system he can be decent starter that wins some games while grooming a younger QB.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I just want to say it sucks that Jerry and Son didn’t sign Cooper long-term because it doesn’t seem like they had any real intention of bringing in serious competition for a guy who has had five years to learn the systems. And I don’t mean that because we could have him as a Cowboy longer, I mean that because we finally have someone who may win a bunch of games before he sits again, and we could get a good draft pick out of him. You see it many times, that backup who kills it in his few starts and some team decides he’s the next hot thing and offers up primo draft picks.

okstateCowboy

Reaction score
I just want to say it sucks that Jerry and Son didn’t sign Cooper long-term because it doesn’t seem like they had any real intention of bringing in serious competition for a guy who has had five years to learn the systems. And I don’t mean that because we could have him as a Cowboy longer, I mean that because we finally have someone who may win a bunch of games before he sits again, and we could get a good draft pick out of him. You see it many times, that backup who kills it in his few starts and some team decides he’s the next hot thing and offers up primo draft picks.

It’s hard to blame Jerry on that one. Rush looked bad in camp and the preseason. Many media folks thought Grier would have won the backup position if he didn’t get hurt.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Rush's biggest issue is arm talent, he does not have a strong arm as long as you do not ask him to make the throws that require the arm talent he can be a bridge starter in the NFL for a team. He is not a frontline starter but the gap between frontline starting QBs and middle of the pack is not huge. Look at the history of the NFL guys that languished become starters Alex Smith, Kurt Warner, Rich Gannon, Marc Bulger, Trent Green, Fitzpatrick. Kosar had a long career of being noodle arm, Brad Johnson won a super bowl with a noodle arm, Brunell had a borderline arm and had a long career. If Rush is in the right system he can be decent starter that wins some games while grooming a younger QB.

Nope. But he's a top 15 QB in the league with the potential to be one of the best.

Dak is still a top 10 in my mind.

Probably around 7.

Cooper Rush right there with him.

No need for any tension, though, or personal dislike. They need all around respect and authenticity between teammates and the chemistry of the environment.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i think they'll be smart about it.
when #4 is ready,he'll be in there.
til then...no need to rush it.
just keep playin' ball.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It’s hard to blame Jerry on that one. Rush looked bad in camp and the preseason. Many media folks thought Grier would have won the backup position if he didn’t get hurt.

Shoot. I'll admit it.

I was on Jerry's bandwagon this offseason. I still am. He has made me proud for personally supporting him. At least, quietly I did.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Rush may could start on a lesser team. But that named lesser team wouldn't have the Cowboy receivers or Oline play. And most wouldn't be as conservative as Moore is. And that could be a plus for Rush:laugh:Eithier way going to new system and team would be a lot harder than playing for Dallas and the system he's grown used to.IMHO

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We shall see in offseason as he’s not under long term contract as he’s passed waivers every year.

But we’ll need to sign him to a contract or someone will pick him up as their backup and give him a shot to compete .

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
i don't know what happened with Rush from pre-season to regular season.

Possibly playing with back ups. Not enough focus. A bland playbook to not give secrets away. A distracted KM trying to put together the opening week game plan for Dak.

But I am happy to see that things are better. I do worry about the arm strength throughout this three game streak and into the future.

You have to believe some DC and secondary coach is going to challenge that arm in the near future.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Rush may could start on a lesser team. But that named lesser team wouldn't have the Cowboy receivers or Oline play. And most wouldn't be as conservative as Moore is. And that could be a plus for Rush:laugh:Eithier way going to new system and team would be a lot harder than playing for Dallas and the system he's grown used to.IMHO

He could start for this team for years, I'd say. I'm convinced. The way he plays is a formula for success.

My friend, one of the smartest people I know, was pointing out that Rush intentionally threw it directly into traffic when he noticed the defensive hold. I think he was right.

Rush is a very heady player. I don't hesitate to say he's proven himself as a starter and will start someday and have a nice career.

I just want Rush to stay humble and genuine. Same for Dak. And the media, although I already now that won't happen. Good friendships are formed through tough times, oftentimes.

We shall see in offseason as he’s not under long term contract as he’s passed waivers every year.

But we’ll need to sign him to a contract or someone will pick him up as their backup and give him a shot to compete .

He won't hit he waiver wire again. That's for sure. Not until the Cowboys get a chance to address Rush's value monetarily.

Stil, I also support Dak. Tampa was a fluke.

Say no to the media paradigm this week.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
I don’t think there is any tension. The players, coaches and front office know who the starter is. The only controversy is amongst the fans.

And Cooper Rush knows that the defense had a lot to do with the Cowboys winning 3 games. The players are supporting each other, while the media and fans are trying to create the controversy.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
General Takeaway from the Cowboys vs. Football Team Convincing Win

Firstly, kudos to Mike McCarthy, Kellen Moore, and of course Cooper Rush, et al, and, of course, Dan Quinn, the leaders and 12th man of the Dirty Dozen.

Take Away from Game 4 - QBs & Interpersonal Tension

Tonight, I could visibly see the tension between Cooper Rush and Dak. And the media was shamelessly making a spectacle of it, because that sells. People like showing awkward, extreme moments. That's the new gimmick. Old click bait meet new bait. I hope the team ignores the media drama and click bait trash style journalism that will undoubtedly occur after this week.

Say it Fans; I Support Dak Prescott

Seriously. I will not join the hate wagon. I will not hold grudges against Dak, because he catches undeserved hate from impatient fans who don't understand that football isa team sport. I'd never take away anything from Dak. He was a fourth rounder who has accomplished a lot. But his best years have been just making simple reads and conducting the offense to victories. He's not a bad player. Get over yourself if you're arguing he is.

Reiterating McCarthy's Role in Recent Success

McCarthy has stepped in nicely and shaped up the overall state of the team. Including bringing Kellen Moore up to speed for what the future of this year entailed in the NFL. McCarthy is an orchestrator and Moore is the conductor. No need to be snide to one another. The more genuinely you respect each other on an interpersonal level, and handle this situation, together, the better the outcome because two minds is always better than one. But it's been nice seeing the team handle these issues without spoiling and making it into a spectacle that ruins people's lives. Let them all learn from it from McCarty, from the difficult situation this seasons start has put Dak and Rush in to handling it like mature, healthy adults for the sake of the overall team.

Football can teach you about life because it takes a team. Backups play a role. Starters play a role. And sometimes roles switch. And life turns out differently. We've seen this before. Dak's career is not over, and Rush hasn't necessarily won the spot as the starter. Don't play into that crap this week. Just go in and win; do the job as a team.

Rush's Success Disproves the Bus Driver Myth as "Bad Thing"

I will reiterate: being a bus driver isn't a bad thing. Bus drivers can win games. Bus drivers are smart players who stay cool, calm, and make key plays to guide the whole team to the finish line. Our team is not centered around super stars. Cooper Rush is undefeated — all he does is drive the bus, and wins. The team wins. And I like that. Everyone likes it.

Shout Out to Gallup

In fact, I like something about each of our guys down to the practice squad to be able to make plays on both sides of the ball, at every position on the team for the first time in a long time. I wrote a thread earlier in the year that Gallup was the X-factor, and I would argue he was the ultimate X-factor today, coming in after his injury.

Patience Cooper Rush; Everyone Can See You Will Start for a Team

Cooper Rush played like a top 10 NFL quarterback down the stretch. And I'd say he's not fluke at all.

The patience of Cooper Rush has paid off for not only himself but the team. I for one could see how it's better for Dak to heal on the sidelines while Cooper Rush plays the next two or so games. He has earned them, and I am proud of Cooper Rush.

False Dichotomies, and Troll-like Drama

Don't fall for the media hype. I support both players. End of story.

They are both good quarterbacks in their own right. It doesn't have to be one vs the other.

Rush will start for a team someday. He has really proven how wrong I was for thinking he couldn't get it done in 2022.

Not Matter Who Starts, Dak Earned his Support from Majority of Cowboy Fans

Never forget it. Most fans support Prescott. And it's hard not to like Cooper Rush. So, to reiterate my point, the media will try to shape this great situation into some sort of negative, tabloid-esque dilemma, because that's what sells.

It's up to McCarthy here to attend to these issues so they don't escalate and negatively impact the team's state of overall cohesion.

Rush is a backup, nothing more. We have played weak teams 3 games in a row and the defense has largely shut them down. Our offense is averaging 21 points per game against weak teams.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Rush is a backup, nothing more. We have played weak teams 3 games in a row and the defense has largely shut them down. Our offense is averaging 21 points per game against weak teams.
Yep. That’s fixing to change next couple weeks.

Maybe Rush needs to be humbled to put all of the Dak Trolls to rest. But smarter football guys would insert Dak to give us a better shot. Assuming he can play.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
And Cooper Rush knows that the defense had a lot to do with the Cowboys winning 3 games. The players are supporting each other, while the media and fans are trying to create the controversy.

You're exactly right. I want to see McCarthy to continue focusing on continuity.

If he's the backup, he's now proven himself to be the best backup in the league, until proven otherwise.

And he should be rewarded for it. That much I know.

Then again, I maintain Cooper Rush is at least a top 15 starter in the league. He's worked himself into becoming amongst the most savvy, cool-headed players in the NFL during week 1. Says a lot, for a backup's true capabilities.

Motorola

Reaction score
Pass2Run - did you really; really... really - needed to title your thread that way = the word tension - in the title?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Pass2Run - did you really; really... really - needed to title your thread that way = the word tension - in the title?

Yep, because you have to read the rest of what I said to put it into context.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You're exactly right. I want to see McCarthy to continue focusing on continuity.

If he's the backup, he's now proven himself to be the best backup in the league, until proven otherwise.

And he should be rewarded for it. That much I know.

Then again, I maintain Cooper Rush is at least a top 15 starter in the league. He's worked himself into becoming amongst the most savvy, cool-headed players in the NFL during week 1. Says a lot, for a backup's true capabilities.
I’m not sure I’d rank Rush as a better backup than Jimmy G, Nick Foles and Teddy Bridewater . Those come to mind. There’s probably others.

And there’s a couple 1st round picks in waiting like Jordon Love and Kenny Picket. And why we need to pump the brakes a little despite how impressed we’ve been with Rush.

Motorola

Reaction score
Yep, because you have to read the rest of what I said to put it into context.
I read your post. Your content about the quarterback situation is mostly fodder.
Really no reason to post that stuff.
I watched the game through a streaming service.
I did not see any interaction between the two QBs during the game.
Please elaborate on this "tension" between Rush and Prescott you saw in detail - and post times that it happened on video / tape that me and other CZers can see for ourselves.

Last edited: