Harvard Business Review article on the most important member of an NFL franchise

1LoyalCowboyFan

Reaction score
Super Bowl aside, it’s hard to think of an event on the American football calendar that gets more hype than the NFL draft. When the 32 teams gather from April 25 to 27 in Nashville, they will be looking to plug the holes in their rosters and add new strength to their squads. That got us thinking: How exactly does a franchise construct a winning team?

While there are, of course, many factors, the common wisdom is that team success is largely attributable to four organizational leaders—the quarterback, head coach, general manager, and owner. But who is the mostimportant?

Most pundits say the choice comes down to quarterback versus head coach. The debate can get heated, especially when the team in consideration is the New England Patriots. The quarterback—Tom Brady, in the Pats’ case—may seem like the obvious choice. After all, the QB is the leader on the field and the position is often seen as the most important in all of sports. Over the past 21 NFL drafts, the first overall pick has been a quarterback 15 times, and there were only two drafts during this time period in which no quarterback was picked in the top three. Quarterbacks are also the highest-paid players in the game by a wide margin, both at the top and throughout the league’s talent pool.

https://hbr.org/2019/04/whos-the-most-important-member-of-an-nfl-franchise

Techsass

Reaction score
So it really was mainly Romo's fault??? I don't know if I'm 100% sold on that yet. Do we give Dak until his 2nd contract ends or is it already too late?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So it really was mainly Romo's fault??? I don't know if I'm 100% sold on that yet. Do we give Dak until his 2nd contract ends or is it already too late?

You have completely missed the point of the article. This has nothing to do with placing blame.