News: Has Jerry Jones finally lost his mind?

CCBoy

Reaction score

Has Jerry Jones finally lost his mind?

MAY 14, 1:23 pm
The Cowboys owner had some interesting things to say about his team’s running game.
Mark Lane

http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/...ready-impressed-with-undrafted-collins-051715

LSU offensive lineman La'el Collins going undrafted due to Baton Rouge police questioning him regarding the death of former girlfriend Brittany Mills nearly crushed the 21-year-old's dream of playing in the NFL. When Collins was dropped from the investigation, it created one of the biggest undrafted free agent frenzies in the past decade.

With no salary caps or other curtailments, owner Jerry Jones used his charm the the Cowboys' renown to entice Collins, who grew up a Cowboys fan, to sign a three-year deal with the club. Dallas added first-round talent to an already blue-chip offensive line for a bargain basement price.

Tight end Jason Witten, who was among many star players at the Jones residence making a pitch to Collins, is impressed with the young offensive lineman.

"What a whirlwind it was for him the week prior," Witten said. "I was impressed with the way he handled himself that night. I was impressed with the way he handled himself the next day with you guys. I thought he was real mature and handled it like a pro."

Early projections from analysts have Collins beating out incumbent Ron Leary for the left guard spot. However, Witten doesn't think it will be a slam dunk for the rookie.

"I think that has to play itself out," said Witten."Ron is a good player and played well last year. So, I think, just as I said, just to compete and see how it all plays out. I think that's really one of the reasons we had success last year is we went into training camp and everybody was competing."

According to the 11-time Pro Bowler, the reason for the Cowboys' success in 2014 was due to the competitive atmosphere created by head coach Jason Garrett. For Witten, adding Collins is a positive because it creates competition, which can only make the 2015 version that much better.

"Anytime you can make your football team better and create competition, that's what you're trying to. I think he'll create that competition for all of us and make our team better.

"It was unique to be in that situation. Obviously excited to have an opportunity to recruit him or whatever. It's good to see that he signed with us."

What exactly did the six-time All Pro tight end say to convince Collins to sign with the defending NFC East champions?

"There wasn't a whole lot to be said from our end," Witten chuckled. "There wasn't a whole lot of room to talk there. Mr. Jones was doing most of the talking."

The game tape tells the tale of Collins' talent. Even if he fails to beat out Leary or start elsewhere on the offensive line in his rookie season, his versatility at guard and tackle spots gives the Cowboys unprecedented depth on the offensive line and a myriad of options in years to come.

(I really like most of what Mark puts in print.)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny. The writer or his editor inserted the subtitle Has Jerry Jones finally lost his mind?/The Cowboys owner had some interesting things to say about his team's running game.--then proceeded to publish the article without stating anything of the sort.

Witten is quoted a few times about how competition benefits the team. Leary and Collins will (hopefully) be made better players because of it. The entire team will improve as a result. It is ironic though that Witten cannot similarly comment for how competition within his own position lacks the same motivational influence. Luckily, Witten is an all-pro tight end. Still, his commentary may not be appreciated so much by his peers when they are fighting for their jobs while he isn't.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The title is completely referencing the video and Jerry saying our running game is better. No where is anything mentioned about that in the article.

jnday

Reaction score
Jerry is showing ability to get out of the way these last couple of years and the results have been good. That has to just kill his ego to turn over the football decisions to football men. He can't help himself when it comes to being the center of attention with the media. He is the only owner/GM that stays in the news several times a week. Jerry is a great salesman and that talent helped with Collins. He has the ability to help in situations like this , but that is the only talent that he has that helps this team.