CFZ Has the front office done enough to fix run game?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We all witnessed how the run game disappeared in the 2nd half of the season. Teams started to used extra men in coverage and dared the Cowboys to beat them on the ground against light boxes, which they couldn't do. Without a run game and balanced attack, our offense went from being elite to being more of a middle of the pack threat.

There are many things we can point to, Zeke playing hurt and the coaches refusing to sit him down. Reshuffling the OL due to injuries, especially to Tyron Smith. League high penalties committed, Dak not fully healthy and refusal of taking off due to it. Moore playcalling was also a big part of the problem.

In my opinion, fixing the ground attack and becoming more balance was the team's #1 offseason priority. Question is, have they done enough to fix this weakness?

-Both Zeke/Pollard should be more healthy this season. Zeke has been one of the most durable backs since he was drafted. He may not be a homerun back no longer, but still should have plenty of juice to hurt teams on the ground.

-The draft additions of both Tyler Smith and Jake Ferguson were made to help the run game out. Smith is a legitimate power guard who has the ability to move players in the run game and is athletic enough to reach block on the move. The hope with Ferguson is that he is a better inline blocker then Shultz was last season, which will allow more 12 personnel and Shultz to play more to his strengths as a pass catcher.

-Is Terrence Steele a downgrade over Collins at RT? What we do know is that the team was undefeated when he filled in for Collins due to the suspension. Our run game was at it's peak during that stretch.

-What about the penalties? Tyler Smith was a penalty machine on the college level. The hope is that his move from Tackle inside he will do less reaching in space. He needs to work on better hand placement, but his character suggests he won't be mentally weak like Connor Williams. Him next to Biaz, should help alleviate the lack of strength with our center position.

-Tyron's Smith health. To the team's credit they have drafted tackles in back to back years to develop for the future. Question is, will one of them be ready to spot start when Tyron goes down again. Think the wise decision would be find a stop gap, bridge veteran swing tackle.

-Will MM have more influence with the playcalling this season? Reportedly he is going to get more involved. They must do a better job with what type of runs they call and sticking with it.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We all witnessed how the run game disappeared in the 2nd half of the season. Teams started to used extra men in coverage and dared the Cowboys to beat them on the ground against light boxes, which they couldn't do. Without a run game and balanced attack, our offense went from being elite to being more of a middle of the pack threat.

There are many things we can point to, Zeke playing hurt and the coaches refusing to sit him down. Reshuffling the OL due to injuries, especially to Tyron Smith. League high penalties committed, Dak not fully healthy and refusal of taking off due to it. Moore playcalling was also a big part of the problem.

In my opinion, fixing the ground attack and becoming more balance was the team's #1 offseason priority. Question is, have they done enough to fix this weakness?

-Both Zeke/Pollard should be more healthy this season. Zeke has been one of the most durable backs since he was drafted. He may not be a homerun back no longer, but still should have plenty of juice to hurt teams on the ground.

-The draft additions of both Tyler Smith and Jake Ferguson were made to help the run game out. Smith is a legitimate power guard who has the ability to move players in the run game and is athletic enough to reach block on the move. The hope with Ferguson is that he is a better inline blocker then Shultz was last season, which will allow more 12 personnel and Shultz to play more to his strengths as a pass catcher.

-Is Terrence Steele a downgrade over Collins at RT? What we do know is that the team was undefeated when he filled in for Collins due to the suspension. Our run game was at it's peak during that stretch.

-What about the penalties? Tyler Smith was a penalty machine on the college level. The hope is that his move from Tackle inside he will do less reaching in space. He needs to work on better hand placement, but his character suggests he won't be mentally weak like Connor Williams. Him next to Biaz, should help alleviate the lack of strength with our center position.

-Tyron's Smith health. To the team's credit they have drafted tackles in back to back years to develop for the future. Question is, will one of them be ready to spot start when Tyron goes down again. Think the wise decision would be find a stop gap, bridge veteran swing tackle.

-Will MM have more influence with the playcalling this season? Reportedly he is going to get more involved. They must do a better job with what type of runs they call and sticking with it.
Very doubtful. Smith being a plus starter as a rookie is a total hail mary

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think he will be good in the run game, but needs a lot of work as a pass protector. Those speed twitched up defensive tackles will give him struggles.
His lack of technique will almost as likely show up in the running game too

Flamma

Reaction score
This is really a big unknown. I'm hoping the rookie makes a big impact at left guard. If he does, and Tyrone and Martin stay healthy, We should be good. But what do we have in Zeke and Pollard? I really don't know. This is a wait and see kind of thing. I gotta believe this rookie is better than Connor Williams.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
His lack of technique will almost as likely show up in the running game too
I remember Tyron Smith's feet were a mess before camp, but improved dramatically when the season started. Even Collinsworth mentioned it in their telecast of the opening game. Tyler has a few months to work on his trade, let's see if he will get better.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. They kept KM as the OC who tends to give up on the run game way too early in games.

conner01

Reaction score
I remember Tyron Smith's feet were a mess before camp, but improved dramatically when the season started. Even Collinsworth mentioned it in their telecast of the opening game. Tyler has a few months to work on his trade, let's see if he will get better.
I seen a video about his penalties
A few were from a bit too much aggression and a few was dealing with speed guys on the edge which is easier in the small space at guard. I also don’t think he really realized the impact. At the combine he was ask about that and didn’t seem to realize it was as big a deal as it really was. So hopefully with coaching he can fix that issue but guard is much easier to play. I do think these really quick DT’s will be tough and he will need to learn to handle stunts. That’s why I would only have him playing guard in this camp. Let him really work on one thing before you give him another. Next year you can work on tackle. I don’t think that’s what they will do but I would

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Big difference between Tyron and Tyler coming out. Tyron's biggest issues as a prospect were his play weight 285 at USC, and the fact that he only played RT at USC. Which didnt really matter since he was going to start his career here at RT.

Tyron wasnt raw as a blocker. I don't remember anything about his foot work being messy. But I remember that played like one of the top RT's from his first game here. I dont really see them as comparable prospects

fivetwos

Reaction score
They desperately needed some fresh legs at RB and didn't get them, which doesn't really matter because 21 wouldnt be benched anyway.....

Neither will the $11 million TE who habitually whiffs on run blocks

If the question is if drafting a rookie guard is enough to improve the run game, my answer is....maybe, but doesn't much matter because it's clear to me that they still want to feature Prescott as a passer.

My hope for this year revolves around the defense taking another step forward because I'm very worried about the offense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This is really a big unknown. I'm hoping the rookie makes a big impact at left guard. If he does, and Tyrone and Martin stay healthy, We should be good. But what do we have in Zeke and Pollard? I really don't know. This is a wait and see kind of thing. I gotta believe this rookie is better than Connor Williams.
As for the backs, think both were not healthy down the stretch last season, think they should be fine moving forward.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I seen a video about his penalties
A few were from a bit too much aggression and a few was dealing with speed guys on the edge which is easier in the small space at guard. I also don’t think he really realized the impact. At the combine he was ask about that and didn’t seem to realize it was as big a deal as it really was. So hopefully with coaching he can fix that issue but guard is much easier to play. I do think these really quick DT’s will be tough and he will need to learn to handle stunts. That’s why I would only have him playing guard in this camp. Let him really work on one thing before you give him another. Next year you can work on tackle. I don’t think that’s what they will do but I would
Agree, let him learn 1 position as a rookie.

blueblood70

Reaction score

we wont know until the real games start..thats your answer..have good day :)

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Big difference between Tyron and Tyler coming out. Tyron's biggest issues as a prospect were his play weight 285 at USC, and the fact that he only played RT at USC. Which didnt really matter since he was going to start his career here at RT.

Tyron wasnt raw as a blocker. I don't remember anything about his foot work being messy. But I remember that played like one of the top RT's from his first game here. I dont really see them as comparable prospects
He did need a lot of work with his footwork, but to his and the staff's credit, they developed that aspect very quickly.

morasp

Reaction score
Smith will absolutely be an upgrade at guard. Of course he'll have some growing pains but it's a 17 game season.
Zeke was clocked at 22 MPH recently. He also was averaging 4.8 YPC before his injury last season
Ferguson will be an upgrade to Jarwin who always seemed to be hurt
James Washington will also be an upgrade to the run game. Schultz wasn't a good blocker last season but neither were the WRs. Washington recently emphasized his run blocking in an interview.
I thought the OL played better last year when Steele was starting
Tyron will get hurt but I'm confident we'll be better at swing tackle than last year.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Has the front office done enough? Probably. I think the bigger question in the run game is schematics and tendencies. The Cowboys got beat from an Xs and Os standpoint just as much as they did physically.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Elliott has come out of the gate noticeably strong each of the last two seasons, then was clearly banged up around halfway each time.

IMO that's about the nature of the position and the amount of wear and tear on him overall.

I wouldn't anticipate that getting better as he gets older.