Has the owner/GM changed his thinking?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
@xwalker Nolan couldn’t use Gregory because he was suspended for the first 6 games. By the time Gregory was available, the defense had already quit with their built-in excuse of Dak getting hurt.

Nolan had no chance with this defense last year. Even Belichick could not do anything with freelancers who don’t know their assignments and just wanted the season to end.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garrett provided nothing but embarrassment for anyone like you that thought he was doing a great job. LOL

The dumb reasons you make up for supporting him are inconsequential. Coincidentally, making up some dumb excuse that you thought he was "the best puppet ever" and "your shinning light" means nothing.

You defended a clown coach like Garrett. END OF STORY!!
You always interpreted my support of Garrett as though he was doing a great job. You still haven’t grasped my angle of greatest puppet.

And Garrett didn’t provide as much embarrassment as our other puppets this era and our dysfunctional organization and ownership. He was arguably our most successful puppet.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The league has become so different over the last couple of decades. It’s more of a year to year league every year. The exception was New England—the perfect storm. The GOAT QB and the GOAT HC devised a great system all at the same time, in a division with three super weak teams. Win win win.

While Jerry’s primarily responsible for our 25 year SB drought, he’s also responsible for what, 14 or 15 playoff appearances, 3 Super Bowls and the most valuable franchise? Besides, wasn’t he largely responsible for improving the NFL brand? Don’t get me wrong, I want him gone too, but isn’t that better than most? And even if you don’t agree, couldn’t it be far worse? And does it help ANYTHING to stress over it?

Hope restores.
It all comes down to you wanting to portray a more positive spin which I’ll never be able to do with him as owner. I have basically lost all hope for returning to our once glorious stature . And don’t need it to remain a fan. My hope rest in his demise.

Even when we were winning championships I couldn’t stand him. It’s about how he conducts himself running our football team.

And yes, it does help relieve the stress over our disappointing era by continually bashing him. It was the purpose of me originally joining these fan forums almost 15 years ago. And it has helped having a venue to release angst and share with others. Therapeutic .

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
It all comes down to you wanting to portray a more positive spin which I’ll never be able to do with him as owner. I have basically lost all hope for returning to our once glorious stature . And don’t need it to remain a fan. My hope rest in his demise.

Even when we were winning championships I couldn’t stand him. It’s about how he conducts himself running our football team.

And yes, it does help relieve the stress over our disappointing era by continually bashing him. It was the purpose of me originally joining these fan forums almost 15 years ago. And it has helped having a venue to release angst and share with others. Therapeutic .
While I’m just as big a fan as you are, my self esteem and emotional status doesn’t depend on the success of a football team, especially nowdays, in this age of impatience and overreaction. What’s the ultimate payoff for you? Bragging rights at the local watering hole? More cool swag? Telling your wife “hey hon, all the arguments were worth it, right?” Or do you go the Stuart Smalley route in front of a mirror with a Daily Affirmation? If nonstop mewing and misery is your therapy...um...congrats...I guess.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LMAO, death, taxes and add Booger running the Dallas Cowboys until he goes toes up. The three certainties of life.

His son does just what he's allowed to do, which is what Booger doesn't want to do. His son negotiates deals but the old man is the final approval.

I am sure the Raiders fans hoped the son, Mark, was doing something behind the scenes except making his barber laugh. Instead they saw Crazy Al, looking like a Stephen King character, granting interviews. Al Davis was picked as Booger's mentor from the beginning for a very good reason and Booger has been emulating him ever since he got in the league.

Something I have a lot of experience with is second generation businesses and I can tell you the mantle does not get passed until the father is either incapacitated or dead. It's not like the subsequent generations where the torch was used to getting passed. Self-made men are just different and that's what Al was and Booger is.

Everyone of his family members has a job to do but there is no confusion as to who is in charge until he says he no longer is in charge. Want proof? Watch Booger's reaction with the media every time this rumor of a change in management surfaces, which is nothing more than speculation from reporters that don't know. They may think they know because of what the son says but they do not know with the father thinks.

75boyz

Reaction score
I agree. They tried to cover that up by implying it was McCarthy's choice, but I don't believe that for a minute. That was Jerry's doing. Moore is Jerry's pet project just like Garrett was.

I jokingly refer to it as Jerry's Master Plan as he's still out to prove to the naysayers that he's a Football Guy.
The failed Garrett project fuels that prideful hunger to try it again on His terms again.

Imo Jerry may still be suffering from lack of credit syndrome and I believe he likened Moore to Sean McVay a couple years back so McCarthy would serve as the bridge coach for Moore's eventual takeover.

Just speculation/opinion on my part at this stage taking into account "IF" Mac were to fail in this year's attempt at coaching redemption.

That Jerry. Always a step ahead...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
While I’m just as big a fan as you are, my self esteem and emotional status doesn’t depend on the success of a football team, especially nowdays, in this age of impatience and overreaction. What’s the ultimate payoff for you? Bragging rights at the local watering hole? More cool swag? Telling your wife “hey hon, all the arguments were worth it, right?” Or do you go the Stuart Smalley route in front of a mirror with a Daily Affirmation? If nonstop mewing and misery is your therapy...um...congrats...I guess.
Nope, you obviously don’t get me. What a shame after all these years you’re not able to.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I jokingly refer to it as Jerry's Master Plan as he's still out to prove to the naysayers that he's a Football Guy.
The failed Garrett project fuels that prideful hunger to try it again on His terms again.

Imo Jerry may still be suffering from lack of credit syndrome and I believe he likened Moore to Sean McVay a couple years back so McCarthy would serve as the bridge coach for Moore's eventual takeover.

Just speculation/opinion on my part at this stage taking into account "IF" Mac were to fail in this year's attempt at coaching redemption.

That Jerry. Always a step ahead...
Yep

It’s why he was intent on retaining Moore. The last thing Jethro wants is for McCarthy to come in and receive all the credit like Jimmy did.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It was better therapy for me when I knew he was paying for the site for me to make fun of him on.

However, were it not for these forums, I would never discuss him, he's just not important to me. I cannot recall a discussion off these forums except stripper gate and that was mainly because one of those girls was from where I was working at the time. My favorite part was his defenders getting mad at me for making fun of a billionaire caught drunk by a couple of strippers.

In fact, I have noticed that with my long time East buds, we do not discuss the NFL much at all and that used to be the focus and the arguments were based on that. it's just not as important as it once was and it isn't coming back for us.

As far as the younger generation, the one 8-18 now, will they ever be as rabid? When I was 12 years old, if I had what the 12 year old boys have available today, I am not sure I would have ever been a fan. Don't know if even I would have ever played the game. The girls all go for the guitar players now, not the QB's. Musicians don't get concussions, they just go to rehab.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
LMAO, death, taxes and add Booger running the Dallas Cowboys until he goes toes up. The three certainties of life.

His son does just what he's allowed to do, which is what Booger doesn't want to do. His son negotiates deals but the old man is the final approval.

I am sure the Raiders fans hoped the son, Mark, was doing something behind the scenes except making his barber laugh. Instead they saw Crazy Al, looking like a Stephen King character, granting interviews. Al Davis was picked as Booger's mentor from the beginning for a very good reason and Booger has been emulating him ever since he got in the league.

Something I have a lot of experience with is second generation businesses and I can tell you the mantle does not get passed until the father is either incapacitated or dead. It's not like the subsequent generations where the torch was used to getting passed. Self-made men are just different and that's what Al was and Booger is.

Everyone of his family members has a job to do but there is no confusion as to who is in charge until he says he no longer is in charge. Want proof? Watch Booger's reaction with the media every time this rumor of a change in management surfaces, which is nothing more than speculation from reporters that don't know. They may think they know because of what the son says but they do not know with the father thinks.
It will be very difficult for all 3 to agree on who’s in charge unless one buys them out. Someone will have to be accountable to the others. Something we haven’t been able to check Jethro on . Or they’ll all agree on hiring outside the family.

Therein lies my hope . The Cowboys without Jethro.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It was better therapy for me when I knew he was paying for the site for me to make fun of him on.

However, were it not for these forums, I would never discuss him, he's just not important to me. I cannot recall a discussion off these forums except stripper gate and that was mainly because one of those girls was from where I was working at the time. My favorite part was his defenders getting mad at me for making fun of a billionaire caught drunk by a couple of strippers.

In fact, I have noticed that with my long time East buds, we do not discuss the NFL much at all and that used to be the focus and the arguments were based on that. it's just not as important as it once was and it isn't coming back for us.

As far as the younger generation, the one 8-18 now, will they ever be as rabid? When I was 12 years old, if I had what the 12 year old boys have available today, I am not sure I would have ever been a fan. Don't know if even I would have ever played the game. The girls all go for the guitar players now, not the QB's. Musicians don't get concussions, they just go to rehab.
We can’t escape him here. I follow the local vibe and media. He’s always front and center. There’s no escaping him. Unless I stop reading, watching and listening to local media which I’m not going to do.

But I agree, that’s why I joined the old site cause he owned it and wanted to vent my grief in hopes he’d get some bits and pieces while planting the seeds.

I never expected there’d be fans that would defend him as I’d never known any personally. That changed everything for me. I had to go on the defense of my fandom while attacking those attacking me.

Never saw that coming. And new to the internet and social media scene wasn’t really prepared to handle it. I expected my personal experiences and closer up fandom than most to be admired and followed like I have here in my circle. I never imagined I’d have opposition on a Cowboys fan forum.

I’ve tried to take a little different approach on this site as I learned much.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You always interpreted my support of Garrett as though he was doing a great job. You still haven’t grasped my angle of greatest puppet.

And Garrett didn’t provide as much embarrassment as our other puppets this era and our dysfunctional organization and ownership. He was arguably our most successful puppet.

There is nothing to interpret. You defended Garrett against anything bad people said about him. You liked him as our coach and thought he was doing a great job, changing the culture, ect....ect....

Any other deflection that you didnt really like Garrett is a total and complete lie.

All puppets suck. Maybe someday you can raise your standards.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There is nothing to interpret. You defended Garrett against anything bad people said about him. You liked him as our coach and thought he was doing a great job, changing the culture, ect....ect....

Any other deflection that you didnt really like Garrett is a total and complete lie.

All puppets suck. Maybe someday you can raise your standards.
Not as long as Jethro’s here. The Bar is forever lowered. At some point you have to grasp onto something to save face. Or you end up walking away. And I agree. All puppets suk. But that’s our reality.

And yea, I did like him because of his Cowboys connection. I also liked his class and manner. You look for the positives. Rooting for Garrett’s success provided me that ray of sunshine for awhile because of his Cowboys connection.

If we’re going to have this dysfunctional frustrating situation I’d rather have a HC like him to root for.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not as long as Jethro’s here. The Bar is forever lowered. At some point you have to grasp onto something to save face. Or you end up walking away. And I agree. All puppets suk. But that’s our reality.

And yea, I did like him because of his Cowboys connection. I also liked his class and manner. You look for the positives. Rooting for Garrett’s success provided me that ray of sunshine for awhile because of his Cowboys connection.

If we’re going to have this dysfunctional frustrating situation I’d rather have a HC like him to root for.

I know you like him. You liked him a lot. You would have to in order to defend his honor for 10 years like you did.

Like you were told several times but didnt listen we have had great coaches under Jones. Jimmy, Parcells. MM is worlds better than the hapless Garrett. I would actually take ANYONE over the overwhelmed Garrett. Wade I definitely would take. He at least is a great coordinator.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I generally watch only easterns.....which is basically your typical western with more raw fish....so I suppose I wouldn't be able to lend much to the discussion.

;):)
You have already met our expectations, dear lad!:)

Verdict

Reaction score
No doubt Jerry’s patience feels different. MM has to win. With Quinn and Moore on staff (and now McAdoo), a 2-6 record might crank up the heat substantially.
If his record is 2 and 6 he will probably not make it through the year.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I've seen several comments about the owner not making coaching changes and using the 10 years with Garrett as the reasoning but is it just the opposite? He waited for it to come and it never did. His patience went unrewarded.

Has the fact that he's not getting any younger and a year closer to checking out every year affected his thinking about time and how much there is left to see another SB?

Some feel McC is safe but they pulled the trigger on Nolan after one year and now have two succession candidates on the staff and who thinks the owner won't pull a Garrett move with Kellen Moore?

I really do think we are seeing a new sense of urgency, an awareness of the clock that we've not seen before from him and I do not think that bodes well for McC. He needs a kickstart to this season or we could see the second HC replaced during the season.

The fans are impatient and last season was more embarrassing than a lot of losing seasons. So, the owner is impatient too.

And what do you think the players think? Who brought Nolan in last season and who allowed the defense to get turned inside out? Think there might also be some impatient players?

I think McC has a ticket on the 3:10 to Yuma that he is unaware of and if he starts off 1-3, that train pulls into the station and if he goes to 2-6, his ticket gets punched. I know, some feel not unless he's lost the team. At 2-5 or 6, he's lost the team and management. No GM pays a QB this much and assembles this O to go 2-5 or 6.

The other NFL owners have been getting more itchy trigger fingers with HC's every season and now I think this owner has joined their ranks.

McC better win or pack it in.

Agree....If he starts running fake punts again from inside the 30.....It's just a matter of time. :popcorn:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Stephen Jones is making those decisions now.

SJ is the reason Garrett is gone.

SJ has pushed out the other influences on Jerry and has it setup such that everyone reports through him. This makes SJ the sole source of info going to Jerry about football operations.

Garrett was the last employee with direct access to Jerry without SJ in the middle.

The other family members are supportive of having SJ in charge of football operations and that helps influence Jerry in that regard.

SJ likely pointed out to Jerry that Nolan was not utilizing Randy Gregory.

It is not proven that SJ is better at winning than Jerry but SJ is definitely making all decisions on football operations now.

Fans that love to hate Jerry refuse to admit that Jerry has stepped back from running football operations but even the media now often reference SJ as making the decisions; although only verbally, not in print.

You won't see legit local reporters reference it in print because they'll don't want to get on bad terms with Jerry or Stephen. Jerry is never going to publically admit to it and is unlikely to ever relinquish the GM title. Jerry probably has it in his Will that he keeps the GM title into perpetuity.

SJ and Will McClay have always wanted to hire Dan Quinn. They both love the Seattle defense. They told Kiffin/Marinelli when they were hired that they wanted to run the Seattle style defense.

They made Kris Richard the co-DC in 2018 and 2019 bit determined that he was not good at working with other coaches which made him a no-go to become the full time DC. SJ wanted McCarthy to hire his own staff anyway.

Mike Nolan was not the preferred choice but by the time McCarthy was hired none of their other options were available. They hired George Edwards as Senior defensive coach because they were not sold on Nolan to handle everything.

They had to convince Quinn to take the job because he had other offer as a DC. Quinn requested a committment to defense in the draft and the ability to sign his guys in free agency.

Quinn says his number one mistake in Atlanta was getting spread too thin. He was too much into the defensive coaching details to also be the Head Coach. Many coaches over the years have been great coordinators but not good as Head Coaches...Wade Phillips...

My first question is were you in all offices of Jerry and Stephen when all this pecking order was decided because there's been no public announcement that everything goes through Stephen now. Let me guess you sneaked into their offices and planted bugs in them so you could hear all their discussions they had. I will say that you come up with some creative dreams that unfortunately aren't backed up by any other legit source.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Has the Owner/GM changed his thinking? It depends on how many electro-shock treatments are imposed on him.