Has the owner/GM changed his thinking?

Hadenough

Reaction score
I've seen several comments about the owner not making coaching changes and using the 10 years with Garrett as the reasoning but is it just the opposite? He waited for it to come and it never did. His patience went unrewarded.

Has the fact that he's not getting any younger and a year closer to checking out every year affected his thinking about time and how much there is left to see another SB?

Some feel McC is safe but they pulled the trigger on Nolan after one year and now have two succession candidates on the staff and who thinks the owner won't pull a Garrett move with Kellen Moore?

I really do think we are seeing a new sense of urgency, an awareness of the clock that we've not seen before from him and I do not think that bodes well for McC. He needs a kickstart to this season or we could see the second HC replaced during the season.

The fans are impatient and last season was more embarrassing than a lot of losing seasons. So, the owner is impatient too.

And what do you think the players think? Who brought Nolan in last season and who allowed the defense to get turned inside out? Think there might also be some impatient players?

I think McC has a ticket on the 3:10 to Yuma that he is unaware of and if he starts off 1-3, that train pulls into the station and if he goes to 2-6, his ticket gets punched. I know, some feel not unless he's lost the team. At 2-5 or 6, he's lost the team and management. No GM pays a QB this much and assembles this O to go 2-5 or 6.

The other NFL owners have been getting more itchy trigger fingers with HC's every season and now I think this owner has joined their ranks.

McC better win or pack it in.
Dak will get another head coach fired. It's coming and its like that train wreck. I can't bring myself to look away.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Every fan and critic I’d trust would agree Jethro dictated Moore remaining. And the fact Mikey agreed sealed the deal quickly. Our owners word is last one I’d trust.

Garrett’s record wasn’t as bad as it gets. You might believe that and why continue repeating it but there’s actually many coaches including some this era with the Cowboys who have been much worse.

And despite Mikeys record coming in I’ll use his team record here as a comparison . So far this era there’s been greater coaching history coming in with no more success with the Cowboys than Garrett.

And it’s a little early to place a final analysis on Garrett’s coaching future. He’s only 2 years removed. Like most HC’s fired , released or not resigned they initially go back to Coordinators.

And you were doing sooo well...............:thumbdown:

MM has won a championship and made the playoffs 11 years in a row in GB. And here you are defending your fallen hero again.

Just cant let him go can you?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty common knowledge that the HCs, DCs, and OCs have guaranteed contracts. Gruden got 10 years 100M guaranteed if I remember correctly. Even most college coaches have guarantees. There may be offset language in McCarthy's contract but I would guess he has a fully guaranteed contract. You think Jerry is going to lowball coaches? Jerry pays top buck for players and most likely pays top buck for coaches.

You make a lot of assumptions to attack the person you call 'Booger' living in your brain rent free.

From what I remember, McCarthy was slated to be on the Giants' radar. I believe other teams were interested.
Attack? I am giving him credit for not having an ironclad contract with McC and using Gruden's deal as a comparison is a joke.

The Giants were the only other team known to have "interest' in him. He didn't take that year off to immerse himself in analytics, he wasn't getting a lot of interest.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That was the official stat line because he started the 5th game.

It’s a speculative discussion you may not be interested in partaking with what if the Cowboys begin 2-6 to this year as the OP suggested . Would that place Mikey on the hot seat?

MM should be on the hot seat. I dont think Jerry makes the same mistake letting some pathetic fanny patting fake like Garrett ruin a decade of Cowboys football.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's foolish to compare dumping Nolan after fielding the #31 defense in the league and Moore who when the offense especially Prescott was healthy they were the top offense in the league. I don't know if you have some agenda with Moore but I seriously doubt that the ice is that thin under his feet.

As far as your question about McCarthy, with a healthy offense that won't be what gets his ticket punched, it will be the defense if it doesn't make a lot of gains and if the defense forces the offense into shoot outs because the defense isn't getting the opponent's offense off the field.
Moore, this has nothing to do with him other than I do think Booger sees him as the future HC of the Cowboys and I think he's been sold on that by Moore's fans.

There is this air of mystery around Kellen Moore. They release all of the coaching staff, including Moore, and he's already accepting the Huskies OC gig and moving back home and after a 12 hour interview in which McC convinces the owner to hire him as the HC, McC is singing Moore's praises and asking him to dump the Huskies deal and come back.

Now, I am assuming here so don't anyone come punish me since I admitted that up front.

Put yourself in McC's position. He's out of the league and not in high demand and gets the chance to interview for the DC HC job along with other names being thrown about. How is he coming to that interview? He needs and wants the job and has enough information to realize this amounts to a personal services contract to the owner, not unlike what Belichick, Gruden and Rivera have.

He is well aware of Booger's remarks about Garrett making him comfortable so he knows what he has to do in order to get him to call off the search and hire him. Make Booger feel comfortable with the future with McC as the HC. No wave making, no headline seeking and no upstaging of the most self-important owner in all sports.

I think he wanted to convince Booger of 3 things. 1) He was amenable to a flexible contract, 2) he was a huge fan of Dak Prescott's and could take him to the next level and 3) he was a Kellen Moore fan and would like him to be his OC. I think he went into that interview to sell one thing to Booger, comfort.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
MM should be on the hot seat. I dont think Jerry makes the same mistake letting some pathetic fanny patting fake like Garrett ruin a decade of Cowboys football.

The Jones boys have made a half dozen head coaching changes since the last time they won anything more than the NFC East. Three of them were first-time NFL head coaches, two of them had won a SB previously, and the other was Wade Phillips, so it doesn't seem head coach has actually been the problem.

Garrett didn't ruin a decade of Cowboys football. Jerry and Stephen have ruined a quarter century of Cowboys football, and counting.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Attack? I am giving him credit for not having an ironclad contract with McC and using Gruden's deal as a comparison is a joke.

The Giants were the only other team known to have "interest' in him. He didn't take that year off to immerse himself in analytics, he wasn't getting a lot of interest.

Chances are the contract is fully guaranteed. Just assume it is and you can attack this person you like to call ‘Booger’ who lives in your mind rent free.

Don’t remember exactly but wasn’t McCarthy fired by the Packers? So he could sit at home and collect full pay and wait for a good opportunity over any opportunity. Recently fired coaches sometimes have to wait a year. Quinn wasn’t getting a HC gig this year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And you were doing sooo well...............:thumbdown:

MM has won a championship and made the playoffs 11 years in a row in GB. And here you are defending your fallen hero again.

Just cant let him go can you?
It is what it is. I defend him against false or unsubstantiated claims. I retain he was a good puppet this era. And his record ranks up with much more proven Cowboys HC in this era.

Which isn’t claiming he was a good HC but not as bad as some want to portray. His longevity appears to have just frustrated many. But that’s on our owner. And a testament to our franchises dysfunction.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Jones boys have made a half dozen head coaching changes since the last time they won anything more than the NFC East. Three of them were first-time NFL head coaches, two of them had won a SB previously, and the other was Wade Phillips, so it doesn't seem head coach has actually been the problem.

Garrett didn't ruin a decade of Cowboys football. Jerry and Stephen have ruined a quarter century of Cowboys football, and counting.
Right..

Garretts tenure is on Jethro. Much like the rest of this era. Fans just became more frustrated with the length of his tenure without more success.

ESisback

Reaction score
We don’t know if all the owners are narcissistic billionaires. That would be assuming all billionaires are narcissist.

That reply is an attempt to defend our owner softening the blow.

Who’s defending him? I’m just saying it’s not Adolf Hitler/Forrest Gump vs. 31 Noblemen. Much of this franchise’s failure is on Jerry, but so are the successes. Also, there are many other variables that have impacted the Cowboys. “Debate” all you want in your arrogant, know-it-all, condescending way, but it will change nothing. Enjoy life or be unhappy, the choice is yours.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Probably not but he’s been making mistake after mistake with his meddling style long before Garrett arrived.

The Garrett era was actually the most consistent level of success in the last 25 years which isn’t necessarily a testament to Garrett but a poor depiction of our dysfunctional ownership.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Who’s defending him? I’m just saying it’s not Adolf Hitler/Forrest Gump vs. 31 Noblemen. Much of this franchise’s failure is on Jerry, but so are the successes. Also, there are many other variables that have impacted the Cowboys. “Debate” all you want in your arrogant, know-it-all, condescending way, but it will change nothing. Enjoy life or be unhappy, the choice is yours.
You misconstrue my hostility towards our ownership as some type of testament towards my overall state of mind in my life.

And there’s no greater constant thru this down era to lay blame than our dysfunctional ownership.

Much like in social settings and issues we can speak out harshly against our leaders , their policies and leadership while still supporting passionately the other moving parts and sum.

You attempted to defend him by drawing a similar parallel to all of the owners. But yet the bulk of them are not insisting on running their football operations as such.

ESisback

Reaction score
You misconstrue my hostility towards our ownership as some type of testament towards my overall state of mind in my life.

And there’s no greater constant thru this down era to lay blame than our dysfunctional ownership.

You’re so arrogant and condescending that you’re convinced there’s absolutely nothing flawed in your thinking, that any other variable besides Jerry’s complete incompetency is totally without merit. It’s delusion driven by hate with no knowledge of itself. So blame away, and enjoy yourself! Most of us will just roll our eyes and continue as we have!

Last edited:

Beaker42

Reaction score
I've seen several comments about the owner not making coaching changes and using the 10 years with Garrett as the reasoning but is it just the opposite? He waited for it to come and it never did. His patience went unrewarded.

Has the fact that he's not getting any younger and a year closer to checking out every year affected his thinking about time and how much there is left to see another SB?

Some feel McC is safe but they pulled the trigger on Nolan after one year and now have two succession candidates on the staff and who thinks the owner won't pull a Garrett move with Kellen Moore?

I really do think we are seeing a new sense of urgency, an awareness of the clock that we've not seen before from him and I do not think that bodes well for McC. He needs a kickstart to this season or we could see the second HC replaced during the season.

The fans are impatient and last season was more embarrassing than a lot of losing seasons. So, the owner is impatient too.

And what do you think the players think? Who brought Nolan in last season and who allowed the defense to get turned inside out? Think there might also be some impatient players?

I think McC has a ticket on the 3:10 to Yuma that he is unaware of and if he starts off 1-3, that train pulls into the station and if he goes to 2-6, his ticket gets punched. I know, some feel not unless he's lost the team. At 2-5 or 6, he's lost the team and management. No GM pays a QB this much and assembles this O to go 2-5 or 6.

The other NFL owners have been getting more itchy trigger fingers with HC's every season and now I think this owner has joined their ranks.

McC better win or pack it in.
Jerry waited 7 years too long to launch Garrett. He’s a terrible owner.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So blame away, and enjoy yourself! Most of us will just roll our eyes and continue as we have!
So, in the end you really have nothing to dispute my claims , just simply attempting to discredit the messenger. It’s the same issue I’ve always taken with you guys .

ESisback

Reaction score
So, in the end you really have nothing to dispute my claims , just simply attempting to discredit the messenger. It’s the same issue I’ve always taken with you guys .
Nothing except logic and common sense, but your ego won’t allow other possibilities. Injury, circumstance, competitors’ efforts ALL play a role.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You’re so arrogant and condescending that you’re convinced there’s absolutely nothing flawed in your thinking, that any other variable besides Jerry’s complete incompetency is totally without merit. It’s delusion driven by hate with no knowledge of itself. So blame away, and enjoy yourself! Most of us will just roll our eyes and continue as we have!
My way of thinking is aligned with the main segment of fans and media I’m surrounded by and exposed to.

And I didn’t say Jethro is the sole cause of our lack of success this era. There’s always contributing factors but there’s not been one constant throughout more prevalent. Any fan who denies this is laughable.