Has the QB pay bubble burst?

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm not so sure about this. I feel like this has already been voted on through the CBA. Cap is based on revenue percentage. If the revenue goes down, then the cap goes down. So I believe that it's kinda baked in.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what's being discussed here, IDK.

The thing is, they can't just change the rules mid stream. Everyone plays by the same rules. Why should teams not under cap trouble care about teams that are? In order to make changes that affect the entire league, they're going to need a vote. That vote is 75% of owners.

Ghost12

Reaction score
The thing is, they can't just change the rules mid stream. Everyone plays by the same rules. Why should teams not under cap trouble care about teams that are? In order to make changes that affect the entire league, they're going to need a vote. That vote is 75% of owners.
If a cap-hell situation hits, I think they will figure things out. If the worst-case projection of $50 million comes to pass, then 17 of 32 teams would already be over the cap in 2021 (according to OTC.com). Another 5 would struggle just to sign their rookies.

Flamma

Reaction score
If a cap-hell situation hits, I think they will figure things out. If the worst-case projection of $50 million comes to pass, then 17 of 32 teams would already be over the cap in 2021 (according to OTC.com). Another 5 would struggle just to sign their rookies.

All they need is 9 votes for something not to pass. I really don't know how much power the commissioner has. Can he just snap his fingers and say, ok, no cap for one season? If not, and if I was the owner of the 10 remaining teams not over the cap, you can be sure my vote would be a strong NO. Why would I care about the other teams struggles?

Ghost12

Reaction score
All they need is 9 votes for something not to pass. I really don't know how much power the commissioner has. Can he just snap his fingers and say, ok, no cap for one season? If not, and if I was the owner of the 10 remaining teams not over the cap, you can be sure my vote would be a strong NO. Why would I care about the other teams struggles?
Yeah I know it only takes 9 votes but the owners don’t look at things the way fans do. We see something that benefits our team competitively and have no problem if it hurts others. But owners are very heavily focused on making sure economic matters balance the way they should. A rising tides lifts all ships.

Besides, while there are 10 teams who are not *currently* over the 2021 cap (if we assume a hypothetical loss of $50 million to each team’s cap number), I can guarantee you they’ve been budgeting things in such a way that they anticipate having that cap space available. I didn’t exactly do a full analysis of what those teams would still need to sign just to field a full team.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah I know it only takes 9 votes but the owners don’t look at things the way fans do. We see something that benefits our team competitively and have no problem if it hurts others. But owners are very heavily focused on making sure economic matters balance the way they should. A rising tides lifts all ships.

Besides, while there are 10 teams who are not *currently* over the 2021 cap (if we assume a hypothetical loss of $50 million to each team’s cap number), I can guarantee you they’ve been budgeting things in such a way that they anticipate having that cap space available. I didn’t exactly do a full analysis of what those teams would still need to sign just to field a full team.

You have a point there. And I know this too and have on occasion pointed that out. But yet I still took theoretical ownership of a team through a fan's eyes. Yeah I can see where most owners wouldn't want the NFL to be tarnished in any way.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

What rule change? There is no rule that would be changed, that I am aware of.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Nope. If anything, the Dak/Watson and certainly Mahomes contract will continue driving the market up.