Has Zeke lost some of his speed?

glimmerman

Reaction score
He said he was the lightest he has been in a few years. He hasn’t had that space to get out and go yet. He will get a hole and be gone. Everyone on the opposing defense is watching him. It’s been 2 games.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
He said he was the lightest he has been in a few years. He hasn’t had that space to get out and go yet. He will get a hole and be gone. Everyone on the opposing defense is watching him. It’s been 2 games.
So does that mean the people who were mocked the past few seasons for saying Zeke looked bigger were actually correct?

aria

Reaction score
You don’t get faster by sitting out, they should move him to right guard. Just imagine how fast he’ll be in 3 years! Good thing Jerry gave him all that money.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I'm surprised Barkley doesn't take every touch to the house from how he is described by some on this board.
Understood but he is more explosive than Zeke. Zeke's longest carry since his rookie year is 41 yards. In less time that that, Barkley has 8 carries greater than 41 yards, 4 of which went for touchdowns, while playing on a team with a worse offensive unit.

I also remember Zeke being hyped up to be able to take it to the house at will behind our line when he was drafted. He was supposed to be untouchable.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Maybe. One thing I can predict with quite a bit of certainty is that the first time Pollard pops a big one, Zeke's speed will be questioned even more.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
He is most certainly slower than his rookie season.

But, probably so is every player entering their 4th season.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Lmao so no y’all can’t show me any plays Zeke was supposed to take all the way:

You want someone to show you when Zeke was supposed to take one all the way?

What a sincerely stupid request.

That’s like going back and looking at all the tests you bombed and you responding “oh yeah, show me all the tests I was supposed to ace?!?!”

stilltheguru

Reaction score
You want someone to show you when Zeke was supposed to take one all the way?

What a sincerely stupid request.

That’s like going back and looking at all the tests you bombed and you responding “oh yeah, show me all the tests I was supposed to ace?!?!”
What a ****** analogy.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I will say the man earns his money and is a stud RB but I cant help but think he was faster in his rookie year. I just dont see zeke breaking alot of those long runs like he did his rookie year.
tons of money will weigh you down.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I think he's lost a little top end because he's bulked up a little, but I think that will serve him better long term. Having a running back who can absorb those hits and keep going for the life of a contract is more important to me than top end speed.

quickccc

Reaction score
Zeke is like Emmitt, he was never a homerun runner. but if he gets out there he is hard to run down, just like Emmitt was, but he is not a homerun hitter.

I totally disagree.
zeke was renown for being a breakaway back coming out of OSU, that's one of the elements that made him the 4th overall pick when the Cowboys selected him.

- and i'm seeing folks here trying to make reference to 40 time, which doesn't mean squat unless you can translates that 40 time to playing speed on the field.
Demarco Murray even ran 4.41 at the NFL combine, but you never saw that during the duration of his career here,.philly or Tennessee. He wasn't a speed back as his combine 40 time says.

you're not going to see emmitt catch a quick screen and take it to the house for a quick six as we've seen zeke do (ala Pittsburgh, Niners)
emmitt was a more elusive, miss him, multi-cut runner than zeke who is more the one -cut runner and boom. but zeke is a far more explosive threat in the pass game than emmitt.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
I think he's lost a little top end because he's bulked up a little, but I think that will serve him better long term. Having a running back who can absorb those hits and keep going for the life of a contract is more important to me than top end speed.

I tend to think the same in regards to the team having him more bulked up more, as well as the wear/tear pounding they placed on him last year
I thought that strategy was pushing the button way more than what he should be asked.

With so many touches (run, pass, blitz-block) and then coupled that he had ZERO help from Rod Smith, who obviously lacked run instincts so badly when he had to spell/relief zeke,
and i never saw that Elliott wave himself out of the game from fatigue as much as I did last year - but sadly Rod was so useless ( running up the backs of OL, dancing/hesitating in the backfield and missing holes, etc.) but zeke had to be forced back in as soon as possible.

At one point during the 2018 season, I believe I read where zeke admitted he was bruised up and sore. So you had to think weary legs had to take a toll on his burst in '18.

That brought the urgency to get a far more productive, dependable playmaking backup RB in the selection of Tony Pollard. Now with Pollard looking every bit of a pure instinctive runner,
and producing when he is the game, zeke can finally go back to getting his breathers.

JayFord

Reaction score
You know even if he isnt as fast as he used to be

Lets just appreciate the 4 yards he gets us on a consistent basis

Theres nothing wrong with your carries looking like

4,4,3,1,3,4,4,2,2,4,4,3,4 the rams did it to us in the playoffs

Thats how he looked against the Commanders then he broke a 27 yarder to put the game officially on ice