Has Zeke lost some of his speed?

Batman1980

Reaction score
I don't think the Browns have enough defensive talent, they let the Titans absolutely destroy them. Think the AFC will come down to the 2 teams everyone suspects and the Chiefs will not be able to stop Brady. So the Super Bowl will be New England against the winner of the NFC.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He does look like he's put on a pound or 2
looney(2)
Every team needs a Looney. Love his sense of humor.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I know he had giant runs in college but I actually never thought of him as a "fast RB" when drafted. I always thought he was average speed, I dunno guess might have been only me.

Per Wikipedia: recorded career-best times of 10.95 seconds in the 100-meter dash, 22.05 seconds in the 200-meter dash, 13.77 seconds in the 110m hurdles and 37.52 seconds in the 300m hurdles. He was named the Gatorade Track Athlete of the Year in the state of Missouri.[9]

He had that homerun speed his rookie year for sure.

PoetTree

Reaction score
We'll see.

I doubt it (that he's lost his speed).

Zeke was a little heavier in his 2nd-season, playing near 230lbs., & he stilled reeled off this play:

... which, in my opinion, is the best of his entire career.

Even 5lbs. heavier than his rookie year, he showed plenty of speed on that play. This season, reports are that Zeke slimmed down into the low 220s, one article even suggesting he'd gotten as low as 221#, and I suspect is currently capable of hitting speeds greater than what we see in the clip above. Time will tell, but I'm unconcerned...

Now, Zeke will never be Chris Johnson. He is not the fastest guy in the league & never will be. But he does have exceptional speed for the halfback position. It's just, he happened to enter the league at a time when multiple other "generational" halfbacks appeared as well. You usually don't find those guys but once every ten-to-fifteen years or so. But currently, we've had Gurley, Zeke, Derrick Henry, Leonard Fournette, and Saquon Barkley in successive years. All those guys have unusual speed for the position, so it makes Zeke seem a little less special. But make no mistake, Elliott is faster than most other backs in the NFL.

I think he'll see some lanes this year that will allow him to really hit the gas. So far in 2019, I've liked his burst, his vision, and his effort. The long-game will come soon enough...

#MIAMI

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
We'll see.

I doubt it (that he's lost his speed).

Zeke was a little heavier in his 2nd-season, playing near 230lbs., & he stilled reeled off this play:

... which, in my opinion, is the best of his entire career.

Even 5lbs. heavier than his rookie year, he showed plenty of speed on that play. This season, reports are that Zeke slimmed down into the low 220s, one article even suggesting he'd gotten as low as 221#, and I suspect is currently capable of hitting speeds greater than what we see in the clip above. Time will tell, but I'm unconcerned...

Now, Zeke will never be Chris Johnson. He is not the fastest guy in the league & never will be. But he does have exceptional speed for the halfback position. It's just, he happened to enter the league at a time when multiple other "generational" halfbacks appeared as well. You usually don't find those guys but once every ten-to-fifteen years or so. But currently, we've had Gurley, Zeke, Derrick Henry, Leonard Fournette, and Saquon Barkley in successive years. All those guys have unusual speed for the position, so it makes Zeke seem a little less special. But make no mistake, Elliott is faster than most other backs in the NFL.

I think he'll see some lanes this year that will allow him to really hit the gas. So far in 2019, I've liked his burst, his vision, and his effort. The long-game will come soon enough...

#MIAMI

I wouldn’t call 4.47 “exceptional” speed.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
8 defenders doesn't mean stacked box when teams are in 11 personnel mostly. 7 defenders is the standard.

And consider that the list you posted doesn't account for volume or usage, that's a really high percentage.

Lol, what are you talking about?

8+ Defenders in the Box (8+D%)
On every play, Next Gen Stats calculates how many defenders are stacked in the box at snap. Using that logic, DIB% calculates how often does a rusher see 8 or more defenders in the box against them.

It doesn’t account for volume or usage, looool?

Do you understand what a percentage is?

It shows the percentage of his total carries with 8+ defender’s in the box AT THE SNAP. It shows on just under 25% of Zeke’s carries, he’s facing 8+ defenders in the box.

WTH is wrong with people?

This would be disturbing if it wasn’t so laughable.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
That was a great play by Awuzie. What’s amazing to me is that people don’t understand angles and questioning how Barkley got “walked down.”

When you’re on a football field you have a finite amount of field to run on. Barkley has to flatten-out or he’d run past the sideline. Awuzie is coming in on an angle which allows him to beat Zeke to a point. It’s geometry coupled with distance over time.
Saquon was LITERALLY the fastest person to touch a ball week 1 in all the NFL and you have posters in this chat saying he's more quick than fast.

Anything to prop up Zeke, who literally looks like he doesn't have a 4th gear yet alone a 5th.

If our line suffers at all yikes.

What would Zeke's stats have looked like last year in New York?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Lol, what are you talking about?

8+ Defenders in the Box (8+D%)
On every play, Next Gen Stats calculates how many defenders are stacked in the box at snap. Using that logic, DIB% calculates how often does a rusher see 8 or more defenders in the box against them.

It doesn’t account for volume or usage, looool?

Do you understand what a percentage is?

It shows the percentage of his total carries with 8+ defender’s in the box AT THE SNAP. It shows on just under 25% of Zeke’s carries, he’s facing 8+ defenders in the box.

WTH is wrong with people?

This would be disturbing if it wasn’t so laughable.
No defense uses 8 defenders in the box against 11 personnel, and teams run 11 personnel more than half the time. The 8+ number has been irrelevant for years. 7 defenders is the 11 personnel equivalent of 8, and the Cowboys ran 11 personnel 67.5% of the time last year. So running against a stacked box does not mean running against 8 box defenders, it means running against a negative front (more defenders than blockers). Zeke ran into that almost exclusively last year.

No, it doesn't account for volume or usage. A short yardage back, i.e. Blount, is going to have a ridiculously high percentage of 8+ defenders becuase they only use him when they need 2 yards, especially when compared to Zeke, who's number is pulled down he gets carries on 1st and 10, 2nd and 8, etc.

8 in the box is an irrelevant stat because teams don't use TEs and fullbacks in base anymore. The number that matters is % of runs against a negative front, and Zeke ran into that almost exclusively last year.

You're not nearly as smart as you think you are.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I wouldn't call "the 40" a true barometer of football-speed.

In pads, Elliott is one of the fastest halfbacks in the NFL.
No he isn't.

Like this is a clown response bro.

Zeke hasn't finished in the top 20 in next Gen stats run speed over the last 2 seasons worth of games.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
NFL rushing leader twice in 3 years,.. All Pro honors,.. pro bowls,.. never missed a game,.. dangerous as both runner and receiver, his impact on the game,every opposing
NFL team scheming and loading up against him, the leading focus point of the entire offense.
I'd said he's met his market value standard. but this isn't about money-contract and worth, but more about pure sheer physical ability and where he ranks among the more elite, explosive backs.
Zeke actually want especially efficient running the ball last year and he was downright pedestrian in receiving efficiency.

If getting a bunch of dump offs makes you a dangerous receiver than anyone can be one.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Yep - he's adopted more of the Le'Veon Bell style.

It will make him more consistent but it's a lot harder to hit the big play running like htat.
Zeke runs nothing like Le'Veon Bell. Let's stop this madness.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Zeke runs nothing like Le'Veon Bell. Let's stop this madness.
His hesitation behind the LOS is exactly the same. You don't want to admit that Zeke's good, but you don't need to troll every thread with inaccurate and subjective comments that you pass off as truth.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah I think he has. I always remember this play from his rookie season. Dude got tripped up at the LOS but still split the safeties and left them in the dust. This is probably a 20 yd gain today.

Perfect post. And you're completely right. 2019 Zeke would seek out contact from one of those DBs rather than split them for 6

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
His hesitation behind the LOS is exactly the same. You don't want to admit that Zeke's good, but you don't need to troll every thread with inaccurate and subjective comments that you pass off as truth.
I have been a huge fan of Bell's for years. He is a joy to watch.

Zeke does not have his running style. That's not good or bad. It's just the truth of the matter.

Zeke does not run like this.

phildadon86

Reaction score

Zeke does not have his running style. That's not good or bad. It's just the truth of the matter.

You are really biased you know that? Yes we all get it. You hated the pick. This is the worst video you could have posted. I can find you 5 videos of Zeke doing something similar if not the exact same thing. Just stop with your MADNESS and let it go already.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

I didn't say he runs like that. I said, specifically, behind the line of scrimmage.

As in, they both hesitate, almost to the point of a standstill, behind the LOS waiting for a hole to open up. I didn't say anything about how they run otherwise.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I didn't say he runs like that. I said, specifically, behind the line of scrimmage.

As in, they both hesitate, almost to the point of a standstill, behind the LOS waiting for a hole to open up. I didn't say anything about how they run otherwise.
There is not a single back who runs behind the line of scrimmage like Bell.

To do so one needs not only elite vision but elite agility and foot speed.

Zeke does not possess elite agility and foot speed.

He is a different kind of runner. I love how Zeke's clear loss of a step has people arguing its because he has a running style he doesn't have.