Hawthorne?

Champsheart

Reaction score
Anybody watch the Senior Bowl Practices today?

I was keeping my eye on A. Hawthorne knowing we could target him as a DT.

I am concerned about this guy.

I saw him in about 10 plays, and granted he did very well on 4 of them, and OK on 4 of them.

But twice when he was double teamed he was pushed back 5 yards and dumped on his rear end. I do not like that at all. This should not be happening to a guy of his stature.

I will continue to watch him during the game, but it definetly got me going, hummmm.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Champsheart said:
Anybody watch the Senior Bowl Practices today?

I was keeping my eye on A. Hawthorne knowing we could target him as a DT.

I am concerned about this guy.

I saw him in about 10 plays, and granted he did very well on 4 of them, and OK on 4 of them.

But twice when he was double teamed he was pushed back 5 yards and dumped on his rear end. I do not like that at all. This should not be happening to a guy of his stature.

I will continue to watch him during the game, but it definetly got me going, hummmm.

Looks like the real deal. Nice spin move also.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
I'm watching the game and he's manhandling So. Miss OL Parquet early (as he should).

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
Man, I've seen plenty. Midway thru the second quarter, he just blew by Myers to break up a run and then put a wicked spin move on WV Watson and forced an incompletion. He's got good size and is disruptive. I'll take him with one of our firsts and no look back.

Ken

Reaction score
I agree.

Hawthorne was very impressive in this game. Seems like a stud.

Champsheart

Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
Looks like the real deal. Nice spin move also.

Yeah, he looked pretty good today.
Good Push, excellent spin move.

The only thing I did not like was a few times he got a good push, but still directed out of the play. I do not think he had 1 tackle. Still he looked a whole lot better than the practice I saw him in the other day.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
If any of you recorded that game, watch the play before the play where Matt Jones caught the TD pass (goalline). Hawthorne totally destroyed that running play.

Champsheart

Reaction score
Rack said:
If any of you recorded that game, watch the play before the play where Matt Jones caught the TD pass (goalline). Hawthorne totally destroyed that running play.

Yep, saw that. He pushed his double team back about 2 or 3 yards right in the run hole. Good Play!

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Champsheart said:
The only thing I did not like was a few times he got a good push, but still directed out of the play. I do not think he had 1 tackle. Still he looked a whole lot better than the practice I saw him in the other day.

Hopefully getting that good push, will allow Glover and the LB's to run freely to the ball. He was very disruptive today. You put this kid next to Glover and in front of a good LB, the D should be soild against the run.

I also think with a little coaching up, he could be a 5 - 7 sack guy. His push up the middle will also keep a QB in the pocket. That boads well for a speed DE. I hope we get one. This guy and a good speed rusher will compliment one another.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
But the million dollar question is can Hawthorne play NG in a 3-4? I think he probably can, but I'll admit I haven't seen enough of him to be confident in that statement. :D

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Rack said:
But the million dollar question is can Hawthorne play NG in a 3-4? I think he probably can, but I'll admit I haven't seen enough of him to be confident in that statement. :D

thinks he would be a good NT...

Here is what they have to say.

The 3-4 defense is known for its playmaking linebackers, but the secret ingredient to make it all work is the man down low in the middle of the line. Anttaj Hawthorne is one such individual who can be the needed plugger to make stars of his linebacker teammates.

As a nose tackle prospect, Hawthorne is comparable to a smaller version of Vince Wilfork, even down to a Wilfork-like tendency to disappear for stretches. Wisconsin's line coach says Hawthorne needs to avoid being lazy at times, but that shouldn't be confused with Hawthorne's love of the game and his talent to become a player on Sundays. Hawthorne plugs the middle as good as anyone in college football, and with his physical mindset that no one runs up the middle on him, he will be a dominating nose tackle in the NFL.

I have not seen him much either, so I'm not sure. But, he is adept at taking on double teams which is good for a true NT.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Ok the next million dollar question is Can we get him in the second round, do we take him at #20 (if he's there) or do we trade down a little in the first and hope he lasts?

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Rack said:

- Has great strength. Hawthorne is a near dominate run stuffer. He plays with great leverage, stands up his blockers and plugs up the middle. Has great size for a defensive tackle. Is also very quick. Hawthorne has the ability to beat lineman with his first step, and makes a lot of plays in the backfield. Is experienced, with 29 career starts.

Despite his great quickness Hawthorne doesn’t make as many plays in the passing game as he should. This makes Hawthorne a little to one dimensional. Has underachieved a bit in his career.

Anttaj Hawthorne may be the most complete senior defensive tackle prospect available in the 2005 NFL Draft. Hawthorne was a blue-chip recruit out of high school, and played in 12 games as a true freshman for the Badgers. He became a full-time starter as a sophomore, and emerged as one of the nation’s best players as a junior. Hawthorne has an excellent overall package of skills for a defensive tackle prospect. He has good size and strength. He also has excellent quickness and overall athletic ability. Hawthorne has the skills necessary to be an effective player versus both the run and the pass at the next level. However, Hawthorne had the reputation of being an under-achiever during his first two years at Wisconsin, and he still could be a more consistent player. Hawthorne also needs to do a better job of using his arms and keeping blockers off of his body. In summary, Hawthorne is a player that possesses all the necessary tools and if he continues to build off of the last two seasons he could become a dominant NFL player. Hawthorne should be a first round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft, and has a solid chance of being selected in the top half of round one.

Reminds You Of: Dewayne Robertson, New York Jets

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Rack said:
Ok the next million dollar question is Can we get him in the second round, do we take him at #20 (if he's there) or do we trade down a little in the first and hope he lasts?

I would take a play-making LB (DJ or Merriman) at 11, and maybe a WR (Troy Williamson)at 20, if Troy is not there I would take best defensive playmaker on the board - regardless of position.

This is of course assuming we take care of CB, DE during free agency.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Unless he plummets like Starks last year, I can't see him lasting into the second.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
junk said:
Unless he plummets like Starks last year, I can't see him lasting into the second.

class this year. There is no real elite prospect. So, somone is going to drop. Most boards have Johnson from FSU and Cody from S.Cal as higher picks. Depending on what we do in FA, I would take him at 20. Also, another good DT nobody is talking about is Luis Castillo from Northwester. He is a beast.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
They drafted Igor Ohlshanski in 2.

If we are going 3-4 we need a 320-345 NT

Big DE's like Spears that can play a 3-4 DEand or look at undersized 290-300 pound DT's that can play a 3-4 DE. Where does Antajj fit in there? Maybe at DE?

Day 2 Anthony Bryant at 345 is a load over center.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Anttaj Hawthorne
DT, Wisconsin
War Room analysis
Strengths: Shows good overall strength. Is nearly unblockable when he gets going. Has good experience. Shows an array of moves. Has good closing burst and is a tough tackler. Strong upper body and long arms allow him to get separation from blockers. Has great size and impressive power. Can make the NFL transition to two-gap run stopper.

Weaknesses: On-field effort is inconsistent. Seems unstoppable when playing his hardest, but those instances are rare. Must get faster and more agile.

Bottom line: He had a very strong and productive senior season. Where Hawthorne is selected will depend heavily on his effort. His inconsistency could push him into Round 2.

Dan Pompei analysis
Athletic tackle who can penetrate and be disruptive. Gets behind blocks and runs down the line to make plays. Doesn't have great change-of-direction skills. Must improve consistency.

Late 1st rounder to 2nd rounder that inexplicably dropped to 4th? That same starks that had 4.5 sacks and a very good rookie season. I'm SO GLAD we drafted Peterman, Rogers and Thornton in 2,3,4. Jones and this years one need to save that draft. Starks was a DT/DE hybrid -

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Nors said:
They drafted Igor Ohlshanski in 2.

If we are going 3-4 we need a 320-345 NT

Big DE's like Spears that can play a 3-4 DEand or look at undersized 290-300 pound DT's that can play a 3-4 DE. Where does Antajj fit in there? Maybe at DE?

Day 2 Anthony Bryant at 345 is a load over center.

for Alabama. Are you suggesting that he can start for us?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
for Alabama. Are you suggesting that he can start for us?
I have watched him extensively this year. At 345 he occupies two defenders at will. He is massive and rarely goes backwards even when doubled on. Ideal 3-4 NT. We are talking about a 4th to 6th round pic.

Most all 3-4 teams have two NT's that rotate - See Pats and Wilfork, Traylor. Guys that big usually don't go 100% of game and thats knock on Bryant. He's a consensus top 150 pick.