Haynesworth over a wr?

GOLDENCHILD1688

Reaction score
i know theres been a lot of talk about bringing in another star wr to play opposite T.O. but im a firm believer in the old adage ''defense wins championships''. if you can stop the run and run effectively you have a great chance in this league

we still have enough talent without another star wr and continue to have 1 of the best offenses in the league. even in the games where our offense has struggled according to many, we still ended up with well over 20 points. see the bengals gm.

albert will hit the fa market and i expect the titans to try n resign him but lets just say we make him a better offer and he doesnt mind leaving.

he would greatly improve our defense and allow ratliff to go back to end, when u can pressure a qb up the middle you can really cause some havoc.

which would you rather have, him or a star wr?

id go with haynesworth, even though i have no problem with us bringing in another wide out if hes not available

HAYNESWORTH HAS FOUR WAYS TO WIN HIS FREEDOM

Posted by Mike Florio on July 26, 2008, 12:58 p.m. EDT
Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean has the details on what it will take for Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth to become an unrestricted free agent in 2009. He signed a one-year franchise tender on Friday, with provisions that would prevent the Titans from using the tag again next year.
Haynesworth will win his freedom if he: (1) qualifies for the Pro Bowl; (2) participates in 60 percent of the snaps on defense; (3) participates in 53 percent of the snaps and the team wins 10 games or more; (4) participates in 53 percent of the snaps and the Titans finish in the league’s top five in total defense.
So, barring a serious injury, Haynesworth will be an unrestricted free agent in 2009. On the offensive line and interior defensive line, the Pro Bowl rosters largely are determined by reputation, and Haynesworth has a sufficiently high profile to get to Honolulu.
And this means that Haynesworth almost certainly will be an unrestricted free agent in 2009, because the team likely wouldn’t use the franchise tag on him again if he suffers a serious injury. Instead, they’d let the market determine his value.

Boysboy

Reaction score
GOLDENCHILD1688;2315204 said:
i know theres been a lot of talk about bringing in another star wr to play opposite T.O. but im a firm believer in the old adage ''defense wins championships''. if you can stop the run and run effectively you have a great chance in this league

we still have enough talent without another star wr and continue to have 1 of the best offenses in the league. even in the games where our offense has struggled according to many, we still ended up with well over 20 points. see the bengals gm.

albert will hit the fa market and i expect the titans to try n resign him but lets just say we make him a better offer and he doesnt mind leaving.

he would greatly improve our defense and allow ratliff to go back to end, when u can pressure a qb up the middle you can really cause some havoc.

which would you rather have, him or a star wr?

id go with haynesworth, even though i have no problem with us bringing in another wide out if hes not available

I don't know...he's a nutcase who has trouble staying healthy too.(No, this has nothing to do with the Gurode incident 2 years ago)

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
My one real concern about Albert was that he wasn't this dominate until last year, and this year, both seasons that he's essentially playing for a contract in. That worries me a bit but of course that could be nothing more than him coming into his own now and just becoming dominate.

I would love to have him here but that probably means you're not resigning Tank or Canty.

Eskimo

Reaction score
He will probably be franchised. Nevertheless, I'd take him over Roy Williams easily. Great DL >> good WR.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I like the defender, but we can have them both thanks to an owner like Jerra.

GOLDENCHILD1688

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2315213 said:
My one real concern about Albert was that he wasn't this dominate until last year, and this year, both seasons that he's essentially playing for a contract in. That worries me a bit but of course that could be nothing more than him coming into his own now and just becoming dominate.

I would love to have him here but that probably means you're not resigning Tank or Canty.
if you ask me through 5 weeks hes probably defensive player of the yr or at the very least in the conversation.

his play thus far is proving last season was no fluke. had he hit the market last season he would have been coveted by many and very pricey though thanks to al davis. look at what he paid his unproven DT, he only drove alberts asking price up and brought a smile to his face.

the same way al crazy *** had hamlin asking for big money after seeings wilsons contract from the raiders.

GOLDENCHILD1688

Reaction score
Eskimo;2315214 said:
He will probably be franchised. Nevertheless, I'd take him over Roy Williams easily. Great DL >> good WR.
NO HE WAS FRANCHISED THIS YEAR AND HAD INCENTITIVES IN HIS FRANCHISE TAG TO PREVENT IT FROM HAPPENING AGAIN

Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean has the details on what it will take for Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth to become an unrestricted free agent in 2009. He signed a one-year franchise tender on Friday, with provisions that would prevent the Titans from using the tag again next year.
Haynesworth will win his freedom if he: (1) qualifies for the Pro Bowl; (2) participates in 60 percent of the snaps on defense; (3) participates in 53 percent of the snaps and the team wins 10 games or more; (4) participates in 53 percent of the snaps and the Titans finish in the league’s top five in total defense.
So, barring a serious injury, Haynesworth will be an unrestricted free agent in 2009. On the offensive line and interior defensive line, the Pro Bowl rosters largely are determined by reputation, and Haynesworth has a sufficiently high profile to get to Honolulu.
And this means that Haynesworth almost certainly will be an unrestricted free agent in 2009, because the team likely wouldn’t use the franchise tag on him again if he suffers a serious injury. Instead, they’d let the market determine his value.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Haynesworth would be great to have, but he won't be available any time soon.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
I never what Haynesworth in a cowboy Uni after that BS he pulled on Gurode. Haynesworth :chainsaw:

GOLDENCHILD1688

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2315235 said:
I never what Haynesworth in a cowboy Uni after that BS he pulled on Gurode. Haynesworth :chainsaw:
i know that pissed me off to but so did T.O. little stunt on the star. but many of us forgave him for that.

GOLDENCHILD1688

Reaction score
Hostile;2315239 said:
They will franchise tag him so fast.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
GOLDENCHILD1688;2315238 said:
i know that pissed me off to but so did T.O. little stunt on the star. but many of us forgave him for that.

I think there's a big difference between the star and ripping some one helmet off and jamming your cleat in their face.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
GOLDENCHILD1688;2315243 said:

Very interesting. He once said he wanted to play here.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Hostile;2315239 said:
They will franchise tag him so fast.

That was the point of his posts. If he meets his incentives they can't tag him again. This is becoming more and more common in the league now where guys are getting it put into their 1 year tag deals that if they meet certain marks then the team can't use the tag on them again the next year.

*Edit - And obviously you noticed his post as I was typing out my reply. :p

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hostile;2315248 said:

I doubt a big DT is "sexy" enough for Jerry to spend that kind of money on.

I'd love to be wrong, though.

GOLDENCHILD1688

Reaction score
Hostile;2315248 said:
thats good to hear

i didnt even know he couldnt be tagged again until i came across this old article. i would love to have him

and the same ones complaining about him stomping poor gurode out will be cheering and forget everything if he helps this d reach its full potential.

i guarantee you the first big sack and hes forgiven by most on here. including me:laugh2:

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I don't think we'll have the money to bring in someone like Haynesworth OR Roy Williams. This is the price we pay for having so many "star" players.. Romo, Barber, Witten, TO, Flozell, Leonard Davis, DeMarcus Ware, T Newman, Roy Williams, Pacman, and other highly paid players. Plus, I think we have some quality players about to hit free agency in Marc Colombo, Chris Canty, and Tank Johnson.

I can see Roy Williams (if he doesn't light up everyting and everyone once he returns), Greg Ellis, and possibly Kyle Kosier being Salary Cap casualties next year. Dallas may be better off spending their money on their own players, signing occasional veteran free agents (Zach Thomas) looking to play for a ring, and building through the draft.

We all want as many great players as possible but we have to be reasonable. I think it's key that we draft a WR capable of helping us now but also to be groomed to replace TO as a #1 target. After watching us get burnt so far, I'm convinced we need a free safety-type (or move Hamlin over) who can play strong safety. Missouri's William Moore and USC's Taylor Mays fit that bill. I also think we need to spend a high pick on a QB of the future. It would give us a talented back-up and would either take over for Tony Romo down the line OR if he develops quickly, turn into a higher draft pick. The Packers have used this strategy (Mark Brunell, Aaron Brooks, Matt Hasselback, and now, Aaron Rodgers) throughout the Brett Favre era.