Heath and Dak scuffle

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The heavy fire Heath takes is annoying. I'm not defending him and claiming he's a HOF'r or something he's not.

It is annoying. The Cowboys could definitely use an upgrade over Heath, but he's not the football equivalent of the black plague the way some think. Even if he was, it doesn't take saying it thousands and thousands of times to make the point.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It is annoying. The Cowboys could definitely use an upgrade over Heath, but he's not the football equivalent of the black plague the way some think. Even if he was, it doesn't take saying it thousands and thousands of times to make the point.
at least far as Im concerned...I am not saying he is garbage. I am asking, Is it enough that he has had a small handful of decent games to let him be a starter? Asking...why don't we value the position of safety? Its only been 15-20 years. I think those are legit honest questions to ask. He sure didn't look real good in the playoffs last year. Its not a sin to want to ask questions and talk about a problem area of the team. Its the elephant in the room on the defensive side.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The heavy fire Heath takes is annoying. I'm not defending him and claiming he's a HOF'r or something he's not.
yup its very annoying and SOME just wanna hate for the sake of it. But its more than ok to ask about a problem area of the team. Heath is a very good extra db to bring in and wonderful on special teams. I think those things should be his role...the dime and special teams. But until we find a viable replacement, he will remain the starter. I understand this. Maybe we can find someone in camp to emerge.

Rayman70

Reaction score
the only way to get better at safety is to openly admit we can be better and discuss ways to get better. None of us will accomplish this...but I imagine the Cowboys are very much doing this...that's why we brought in Iloka, Looked at Berry and were interested in Thomas. Heath is all we got til someone unseats him...I get that.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Exactly, he's a pretty decent player. And some fans had a difficult time understanding the caliber of NFL players. Or, they choose to ignore it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Health isn’t near as bad as some think. He isn’t top 5 at his position but he makes plays. And is around the ball. Sometimes he takes bad angles. And sometimes the secondary may break down or make a mistake and if he is out of position then the corners mistake makes him look bad.

If he was as bad as we thought he would be gone.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Health isn’t near as bad as some think. He isn’t top 5 at his position but he makes plays. And is around the ball. Sometimes he takes bad angles. And sometimes the secondary may break down or make a mistake and if he is out of position then the corners mistake makes him look bad.

If he was as bad as we thought he would be gone.

He only seems acceptable because we've had utter garbage at the safety position for over a decade. The moment we get a stud safety in here, you'll notice Heath is garbage as a starter.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He only seems acceptable because we've had utter garbage at the safety position for over a decade. The moment we get a stud safety in here, you'll notice Heath is garbage as a starter.
Our FO dont seem to value the position. Or don’t spend money or high draft pics on one. We haven’t had a safety since Williams or Woody.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Of couse if we get a "stud safety" we will notice a difference - the guy wouldn't be a stud otherwise. But one guy being a stud doesn't mean another is garbage, it just means he wasn't the same level player. Every team has players that aren't "studs". In fact, most players are not.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Of couse if we get a "stud safety" we will notice a difference - the guy wouldn't be a stud otherwise. But one guy being a stud doesn't mean another is garbage, it just means he wasn't the same level player. Every team has players that aren't "studs". In fact, most players are not.

As always, OmarV misses the point. Still trying to figure out why wonderlics matter?

The point is we have gotten so used to scrubs at the position we think a scrub that SOMETIMES makes a play is "not as bad as some might say" - I actually read some people saying this about Nick Hayden.

Heath is a backup in a starting role. He sucks as a starter.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As always, OmarV misses the point. Still trying to figure out why wonderlics matter?

The point is we have gotten so used to scrubs at the position we think a scrub that SOMETIMES makes a play is "not as bad as some might say" - I actually read some people saying this about Nick Hayden.

No, it appears you missed the point. The point is that while it's true that Heath is not a top safety, that doesn't make him "garbage". It just makes him a player the team should try to upgrade from. If you believe otherwise, that's your right, but you have flawed logic if you think that because I disagree it means I don't get your point. I just think your point is wrong.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No, it appears you missed the point. The point is that while it's true that Heath is not a top safety, that doesn't make him "garbage". It just makes him a player the team should try to upgrade from. If you believe otherwise, that's your right, but you have flawed logic if you think that because I disagree it means I don't get your point. I just think your point is wrong.
Many ignore his role on special teams as well. Hell, the guy bailed us out on FGs in a game, lol. It's also worth noting his ability to make turnovers. He might be the best in the secondary in that regard.

But overall, there are some fans here who just simply can't stand certain players and some I wonder if they're even fans.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Not true, he could start for other NFL teams. Do you think that every other team has an elite tandem at safety? Because they don't. Heath certainly isn't the greatest, but he is pretty good and makes plays.
Is there a player for Dallas that you actually like?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Many ignore his role on special teams as well. Hell, the guy bailed us out on FGs in a game, lol. It's also worth noting his ability to make turnovers. He might be the best in the secondary in that regard.

But overall, there are some fans here who just simply can't stand certain players and some I wonder if they're even fans.
And that play against the raiders. Saved the game.

Reactions: G2

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I tend to think some portion of the animus toward Heath is residual from his rookie season where he was thrust into a starting role unexpectedly and played poorly. It was pretty ugly, and he was widely criticized. I don't think some fans have ever let go of that image even though he clearly became a much better player in the years to follow. Still not a top player, but he's miles above what he was in that rookie season.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I tend to think some portion of the animus toward Heath is residual from his rookie season where he was thrust into a starting role unexpectedly and played poorly. It was pretty ugly, and he was widely criticized. I don't think some fans have ever let go of that image even though he clearly became a much better player in the years to follow. Still not a top player, but he's miles above what he was in that rookie season.
I'll add that it helps tremendously to have solid talent around you. Which we haven't had in the past.