News: Heavy: Cowboys QB Dak Prescott Projected to Sign Record-Setting Contract in 2020

MojaveJT

Reaction score
Not dollars but he wanted 3 years not 5 years because he wants to cash out even higher on the next deal in 3 years but Cowboys balked.

He should take a lower yearly salary if he wants only a 3 year contract and then wait and cash out for the new deal. Wanting 35mil/year for 3 years? No one is stupid enough to do that if that’s what he wants. Tell him to go pound sand.

38 Special

Reaction score
Stephen didn't say it in this interview but did in a previous one that what caused that break down in negotiations at the beginning of the season wasn't the money but the length of the contract. The offer was 34 mil a year for 5 years and Prescott wanted just 3 years and hasn't budged from that. 3 years will coincide with the new TV contracts and Mchomes and Watson will also set new highs for contracts

Why on earth would the Cowboys sign him to a 3 year deal with big $? They could simply tag him and make it a year to year deal if he won’t lock up for at least 5 years. That would force Dak to keep his level of play up while paying him less than a 3 year mega deal.

cowboyec

Reaction score
so...based on what im seein' today on the zone...we're gettin' Dak or Tom Brady.
cool.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Why on earth would the Cowboys sign him to a 3 year deal with big $? They could simply tag him and make it a year to year deal if he won’t lock up for at least 5 years. That would force Dak to keep his level of play up while paying him less than a 3 year mega deal.

Because you can only tag a player a max of 3 times and if you do it a 3rd time instead of it being the average of the top five salaries in that position it is the top THREE salaries in that position. After all that it will probably work out to pay him more than the 34 mil a year he would accept on a 3 year deal. Also players really hate being tagged and it can and has created bad feeling between the player and the team. Lastly one of the things the NFLPA has already said was one of the things they were going to push for when the CBA expires after next season is to limit teams to only be able to tag a player once. They will be willing to eliminate the cutoff date prior to the start of training camp to stop negotiating a long term deal with a tagged player and have to then wait until the season starts to resume negotiating. Lastly salary amounts go up EVERY year so to get whining about the dollar amount is a bit foolish.

Daillest88

Reaction score
And tag him the following year as well.
Doesn’t it go up more the following year? Still would be cheaper I assume. Anyway if we tag him this year and sign Byron Jones to a long term deal and restructure contracts we would still have 86 million on the cap lol. And before people say restructuring contracts gives you cap hell in a couple year we will have plenty of cash to carry over to next years cap

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Doesn’t it go up more the following year? Still would be cheaper I assume. Anyway if we tag him this year and sign Byron Jones to a long term deal and restructure contracts we would still have 86 million on the cap lol. And before people say restructuring contracts gives you cap hell in a couple year we will have plenty of cash to carry over to next years cap

You're guessing on cap amounts if things are done as you say. Second you are right renegotiating contracts just adds dead money down the road and the Cowboys have finally broke that cycle and that is why they have the cap space they have this year. Lastly, a team can only carry over 5% of a years cap amount. If they don't spend all but 5% by week 16 that season they lose that amount. There are a couple of exceptions to that. The only one I know for sure is if a player retires at any point during the season the team can carry over any remaining salary left for year above and beyond the 5%.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No meltdown whatsoever. Sitting back and waiting to see how this is gonna pan out. The only foreseeable meltdown will be by those having to defend this huge contract. :popcorn:
I'm not worried at all. Going to enjoy it, especially all of the crying tears in this forum.

:popcorn:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
29 vs 38 mil is a LOT.

I don't think Dak was ever going to sign for $29 million because his contemporaries weren't signing for that. At best, we might could have gotten him for $32 million or $33 million.

I also don't think we will sign him for $38 million. It will surprise me if it's more than $36 million, but I think it will be under that.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I wouldn’t make Dak the highest paid QB... but I guess this guy wants a max contract like he’s Jordan or something.

I hope it’s a little more than Russell Wilson and the cap increase and the future contracts of Mahoney and Watson will dwarf his.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The plan should’ve been to sign before Wentz and Goff. Jerry let them set the market now he has to do it for Dak.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I wouldn’t make Dak the highest paid QB... but I guess this guy wants a max contract like he’s Jordan or something.

I hope it’s a little more than Russell Wilson and the cap increase and the future contracts of Mahoney and Watson will dwarf his.
It’s about inflation. Dak’s agent look terrible If they can’t get him a deal better.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish Prescott and Jones had already come to terms with this contract already, so all the "OMG! THEY PAID HIM WHAT?" folks can begin getting it out of their system over the next ten years.