News: Heavy: Cowboys QB Dak Prescott Projected to Sign Record-Setting Contract in 2020

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yeah, as if that just started.

I'm amazed anyone still has hope in the Jones Boys. They are who they are, and so are the Cowboys.

I think there is a little reason for hope now with Garrett out of here.

I don't like the coaching hire they made but who knows.. Maybe i'm wrong and this guy is the 1st coach to win a Superbowl with another team and he actually isn't like all of the stubborn NFL coaches who say they will change when they're outside of the game only to be the exact same when they come back.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't like the coaching hire they made but who knows.. Maybe i'm wrong and this guy is the 1st coach to win a Superbowl with another team and he actually isn't like all of the stubborn NFL coaches who say they will change when they're outside of the game only to be the exact same when they come back.

MM is an Andy Reid situation and it worked out pretty good for KC.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Six coaching changes since the last SB. Garrett was only a symptom of an organizational structure that has not changed.

I think McCarthy is going to look a lot more similar to JG than some want to believe. I hope I'm wrong because I'm not getting any younger.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Six coaching changes since the last SB. Garrett was only a symptom of an organizational structure that has not changed.

I think McCarthy is going to look a lot more similar to JG than some want to believe. I hope I'm wrong because I'm not getting any younger.

I agree..

They needed the big flashy hire IMO. That type has won Jerry Jones Superbowls. Playing it safe was the wrong move IMO. I hope i'm wrong.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I hope you're right about being able to sign other players. Watching Green Bay get ravaged by the niners because their defense sucks was a scary thought for the future.

It all depends on what Dallas wants to do. The front office likes to retain its own players and not overpay for outside FAs because it has been burned by that before. I don't know if that policy will change under McCarthy because I don't know how much influence Garrett had on it.

Strategically, using restructures, deals that don't pay out much the first year, etc., they can virtually bring back and bring in anyone they want. Since I don't think the Joneses are looking at this as a rebuilding process, I think they are more than likely going to supplement the roster. They clearly believe the talent level on this team was greater than the result, so I can't see them tearing it apart.

Dak and Cooper will be either resigned or tagged. It's obviously better for Dallas if they get long-term deals so they don't have to take a big hit this year, but if they have to take a big hit, that's where restructures come in to open up space as needed.

I'm not as sure about Byron Jones because the front office might believe that Lewis and Awuzie can be solid starters for cheaper. (If we don't re-sign Jones, I could see us trying to re-sign Brown for cheap to be the third corner.) I'm not sure about Quinn both because of age/wear and tear vs. cost and because I truly feel that the Joneses believe that Gregory can be just as good or better. (Not saying that's smart, just what I think the Joneses believe.)

I wouldn't be surprised if Heath is re-signed either to be depth or the starting safety if we can't find one in the draft. I don't think Witten and Lee are re-signed because production doesn't equal cost. I won't be surprised if Cobb returns on a similar deal to the one he received last year. There are also several depth players we could either re-sign or replace with similar depth players McCarthy is either more familiar with or likes better.

I think we'll make a splash move in free agency at DT and possibly one at S.