News: Helman: Stop Trying To Make Dalton About Dak

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Can you imagine if we had puled the trigger on this earlier and picked up two first round picks for Dak on the non exclusive tag. A reasonable QB on a cheap deal, 2 extra firsts and 30 million extra to spend. A solid organization could go over the top with something like that. Jerruh would waste it all on shiny toys though.

No one is giving up two firsts for Dak. Teams learned from the Bradford/Cousins debacle. Average QBs aren’t worth mortgaging your future.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
No one is giving up two firsts for Dak. Teams learned from the Bradford/Cousins debacle. Average QBs aren’t worth mortgaging your future.
Probably true but if so then why are we considering paying him such a mega deal.

BigD_95

Reaction score
FRISCO, Texas – Never before have I seen so much uproar about the Cowboys doing something so smart.

That's the territory we've entered into with the quarterback position – specifically, with Dak Prescott and this ongoing contract dispute.

The obvious news, in case you haven't heard: the Cowboys agreed to terms with veteran quarterback Andy Dalton on Saturday, and they signed him Monday. The longtime Cincinnati Bengal joins the Cowboys with 133 career starts, three Pro Bowl bids and five playoff appearances under his belt.

What's more, the Cowboys got him at a pretty great bargain. The reported terms of Dalton's one-year deal are for a total of $7 million, but much of that is based on playing time incentives. If Dalton holds a clipboard for 16 games as Prescott's backup, he'll be due just $3 million.

Essentially, the Cowboys have found themselves one of the most experienced backups in the league for a solid discount. Dalton's base salary is less than at least four other backup quarterbacks. It's a fraction of what the New Orleans Saints just paid to their Swiss Army Knife backup, Taysom Hill.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/helman-stop-trying-to-make-dalton-about-dak

Then tell Dak to sign a contract and it wouldnt be talked about

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Then tell Dak to sign a contract and it wouldnt be talked about

I wish they would come to an agreement. I think eventually he will sign be it a 1 year franchise tag or both sides will come to a longer term agreement. We could just as easily say Dallas should just do the 4 years and be done with it.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Probably true but if so then why are we considering paying him such a mega deal.

It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma.
hqdefault.jpg

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It appears that the very obvious truth hurts your feelings. My advice would be to relax. The organization now has reason to have an actual backup plan at the QB position. To not be able to admit that is once again incredible levels of denial.

The backup QB may well play right out of the gate. If you can’t see the connection I honestly don’t know what to say.
You're assuming a ton here. They tagged Prescott for 30+ million, signed a vet for 1 year cheap and released Rush. All that illustrates is that they bulked up the back up QB spot more than in the past. You don't spend 30+ million on a player that you aren't positive you want to keep.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
YUP..its all about a much better insurance Policy behind Dak. Nothing more. It was really a no brainer.

The real question is..."how much better"?

Hopefully new coach will give a sincere chance to find out and not hide him on the bench when the game is out of reach or Dak is injured and still playing.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The real question is..."how much better"?

Hopefully new coach will give a sincere chance to find out and not hide him on the bench when the game is out of reach or Dak is injured and still playing.
Arguably the best back up in the NFL. This was to avoid a situation like what we saw in 2015 where our back ups were useless.

jday

Reaction score
I just think it is a lot less to do with Dak contract and more about getting a vet backup. Being honest if you look at our backup situation it is as raw as you can get with an UDFA and a 7th rd rookie. I think McCarthy was going to press for a vet backup regardless of Dak contract.
And I'm not saying it's more or less one or the other.

I think Dalton and his agent saw an opportunity and approached Dallas so I agree that the reason for doing this was not the negotiations.

But with or without intent, Dak and his agent do not have the same leverage they had before Dalton was added.

It's that simple. :grin:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I wish they would come to an agreement. I think eventually he will sign be it a 1 year franchise tag or both sides will come to a longer term agreement. We could just as easily say Dallas should just do the 4 years and be done with it.

It may not be possible to do the 4 years. We don't know what the Guaranteed money looks like, the upfront money and the actual numbers associated are. For all we know, it may not be a doable situation with just four years.

I will say this, I am not in favor of the team doing anything that effects the security of the team negatively. I'd rather trade him and find another QB then get ourselves into a bad deal.

cowboyed

Reaction score
This is first year Jerry didn’t go to the Senior Bowl. Stephen and McClay have been doing all the radio appearances in town during the offseason. If there was even a chance Jerry was still managing day to day, he would have been gushing over McCarthy every second he could to try to improve ticket sales (before the COVID drama hit)

I said this after the Senior Bowl: Jerry still makes the final authorization for big decisions like first round picks, coaching moves, big signing/trades. But he isn’t involved in contract negotiations.

Zeke said last year in September he hadn’t heard from Jerry since April when he’d gone to the first OTA. Jerry wasn’t present for DLaws contract signing press conference.

Jerry is like the president of most companies. He gets briefings on the day to day activities, and is involved in the big moves, but he’s not breaking down tape, and if McCarthy/Will/Stephen said this is what needs to be done then he’ll sign off

That's the way I look at it as well.

krimson

Reaction score
Lots of upside to getting a proven vet for QB2, even for the short haul.
Nice Gibson guitar in your avatar. Les Paul?

Yeah, I's the excited about our team this year. I just hope that our season isn't derailed by this pandemic.

The guitar is actually a Dean USA Hardtail that I painted myself.

deanbeforeafter.jpg

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
FRISCO, Texas – Never before have I seen so much uproar about the Cowboys doing something so smart.

That's the territory we've entered into with the quarterback position – specifically, with Dak Prescott and this ongoing contract dispute.

The obvious news, in case you haven't heard: the Cowboys agreed to terms with veteran quarterback Andy Dalton on Saturday, and they signed him Monday. The longtime Cincinnati Bengal joins the Cowboys with 133 career starts, three Pro Bowl bids and five playoff appearances under his belt.

What's more, the Cowboys got him at a pretty great bargain. The reported terms of Dalton's one-year deal are for a total of $7 million, but much of that is based on playing time incentives. If Dalton holds a clipboard for 16 games as Prescott's backup, he'll be due just $3 million.

Essentially, the Cowboys have found themselves one of the most experienced backups in the league for a solid discount. Dalton's base salary is less than at least four other backup quarterbacks. It's a fraction of what the New Orleans Saints just paid to their Swiss Army Knife backup, Taysom Hill.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/helman-stop-trying-to-make-dalton-about-dak

Signing Dalton would have been the thing to do even if we already had agreed to terms with Dak.

For all we know, they already have agreed to terms, but were holding off announcing it, precisely to sucker a guy like Dalton with visions of being our starter into signing a below-market contract.

Would be funny for them to sign Dak tomorrow. Dalton go "Doh!"

CCBoy

Reaction score
I agree, you have some who have a fantasy that this will somehow derail Dak future in Dallas. I just do not see a situation where Dak will not sign a 31 mill dollar deal if it gets to that point. Meantime the Cowboys and Dak have until July 15 to get it done. I tend to think something will get done but in the end either way Dak will be starting QB this season.

Bet he signs in the neighborhood of 34+...and for four years?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I's the excited about our team this year. I just hope that our season isn't derailed by this pandemic.

The guitar is actually a Dean USA Hardtail that I painted myself.

deanbeforeafter.jpg
Its been a while since I was this excited about the team!
Nice paint job on the guitar. At first glance, I thought it was a Gibson, but the body shape at the cutaways looked a bit different, so I wasn't sure. Gibsons are more symmetrical I think.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Signing Dalton would have been the thing to do even if we already had agreed to terms with Dak.

For all we know, they already have agreed to terms, but were holding off announcing it, precisely to sucker a guy like Dalton with visions of being our starter into signing a below-market contract.

Your first sentence is correct....signing Dalton was the right thing to do.

If it were a secondary consideration or it was used to force Dak's hand …..it doesn't really matter.

What does matter is that:

1) We are covered if Dak holds out
2) We've got an upgrade to replace him (a player playing with a better offence)
3) Dak cant hold out as we've got a replacement
4) Dak needs to play to prove he's worth a $30+ per contract ….. at the moment on the open market he's not.
5) Because of number 4, he's probably ok with a one year Franchise Tag.
6) The uncertainty how the NFL will look in 20/21 ….. if there's a chance its restricted or contracted (or even cancelled) I could see Dak being cut … why pay $30m for nothing??

With so much uncertainty there's no immediate rush for either side to sign.

Btw - not that informed on football contracts but if he wants 2 years and JJ wants a 4 year, couldn't they give a 2 year contract with 2 years add at a rate depending on his performance?

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I think Dalton knows full well he was brought in as a backup. For him this is great a 1 year deal and does not have to uproot his family since they live in Dallas area.