News: Helman: Stop Trying To Make Dalton About Dak

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Doomsday101, May 4, 2020.

1. ChronicCowboy

ChronicCowboy Well-Known Member

4,463 Messages
    8,593 Likes Received
    No one is giving up two firsts for Dak. Teams learned from the Bradford/Cousins debacle. Average QBs aren’t worth mortgaging your future.

Captain-Crash likes this.
  2. MyFairLady

MyFairLady Well-Known Member

3,222 Messages
    3,876 Likes Received
    Probably true but if so then why are we considering paying him such a mega deal.

3. BigD_95

BigD_95 Well-Known Member

1,803 Messages
    1,690 Likes Received
    Then tell Dak to sign a contract and it wouldnt be talked about

4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

104,398 Messages
    33,281 Likes Received
    I wish they would come to an agreement. I think eventually he will sign be it a 1 year franchise tag or both sides will come to a longer term agreement. We could just as easily say Dallas should just do the 4 years and be done with it.

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Well-Known Member

6,461 Messages
    2,535 Likes Received
    It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma.
    [​IMG]

6. G2

G2 Taco Engineer

19,762 Messages
    21,290 Likes Received
    You're assuming a ton here. They tagged Prescott for 30+ million, signed a vet for 1 year cheap and released Rush. All that illustrates is that they bulked up the back up QB spot more than in the past. You don't spend 30+ million on a player that you aren't positive you want to keep.

7. SteveTheCowboy

SteveTheCowboy Well-Known Member

9,321 Messages
    6,150 Likes Received
    The real question is..."how much better"?

Hopefully new coach will give a sincere chance to find out and not hide him on the bench when the game is out of reach or Dak is injured and still playing.

Rayman70 likes this.
  8. SteveTheCowboy

SteveTheCowboy Well-Known Member

9,321 Messages
    6,150 Likes Received
    Funny! :D

Maybe he sits next to MM and Stephen during the meetings? Or Zoom or whatever. Yeah...must be that.

9. G2

G2 Taco Engineer

19,762 Messages
    21,290 Likes Received
    Arguably the best back up in the NFL. This was to avoid a situation like what we saw in 2015 where our back ups were useless.

10. jday

jday Well-Known Member

9,319 Messages
    13,282 Likes Received
    And I'm not saying it's more or less one or the other.

I think Dalton and his agent saw an opportunity and approached Dallas so I agree that the reason for doing this was not the negotiations.

But with or without intent, Dak and his agent do not have the same leverage they had before Dalton was added.

It's that simple. :grin:

11. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Regular Joe....

58,929 Messages
    27,713 Likes Received
    It may not be possible to do the 4 years. We don't know what the Guaranteed money looks like, the upfront money and the actual numbers associated are. For all we know, it may not be a doable situation with just four years.

I will say this, I am not in favor of the team doing anything that effects the security of the team negatively. I'd rather trade him and find another QB then get ourselves into a bad deal.

12. cowboyed

cowboyed Well-Known Member

3,641 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    That's the way I look at it as well.

Parcells4Life likes this.
  13. krimson

krimson Member

51 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    Yeah, I's the excited about our team this year. I just hope that our season isn't derailed by this pandemic.

The guitar is actually a Dean USA Hardtail that I painted myself.

[​IMG]

Pantone282C likes this.
  14. black label

black label Well-Known Member

5,096 Messages
    7,486 Likes Received
    problem when backup comes in and is good as the starter lol

15. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

19,972 Messages
    17,287 Likes Received
    Signing Dalton would have been the thing to do even if we already had agreed to terms with Dak.

For all we know, they already have agreed to terms, but were holding off announcing it, precisely to sucker a guy like Dalton with visions of being our starter into signing a below-market contract.

Would be funny for them to sign Dak tomorrow. Dalton go "Doh!"

16. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

35,769 Messages
    16,033 Likes Received
    Bet he signs in the neighborhood of 34+...and for four years?

17. Pantone282C

Pantone282C Well-Known Member

8,071 Messages
    11,975 Likes Received
    Its been a while since I was this excited about the team!
    Nice paint job on the guitar. At first glance, I thought it was a Gibson, but the body shape at the cutaways looked a bit different, so I wasn't sure. Gibsons are more symmetrical I think.

18. CowboyoWales

CowboyoWales Well-Known Member

2,403 Messages
    1,376 Likes Received
    Your first sentence is correct....signing Dalton was the right thing to do.

If it were a secondary consideration or it was used to force Dak's hand …..it doesn't really matter.

What does matter is that:

1) We are covered if Dak holds out
    2) We've got an upgrade to replace him (a player playing with a better offence)
    3) Dak cant hold out as we've got a replacement
    4) Dak needs to play to prove he's worth a $30+ per contract ….. at the moment on the open market he's not.
    5) Because of number 4, he's probably ok with a one year Franchise Tag.
    6) The uncertainty how the NFL will look in 20/21 ….. if there's a chance its restricted or contracted (or even cancelled) I could see Dak being cut … why pay $30m for nothing??

With so much uncertainty there's no immediate rush for either side to sign.

Btw - not that informed on football contracts but if he wants 2 years and JJ wants a 4 year, couldn't they give a 2 year contract with 2 years add at a rate depending on his performance?

19. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

104,398 Messages
    33,281 Likes Received
    I think Dalton knows full well he was brought in as a backup. For him this is great a 1 year deal and does not have to uproot his family since they live in Dallas area.