CFZ Hendershot Finding Niche Outside of the TE Position?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I posted about Hendershot earlier this year having the ability to help the offense after our sluggish start in the opener. Most people who replied in that thread had a good laugh at my expense. So it's nice to get the last laugh here, because I mentioned in that post that Hendershot could help the offense as a passing weapon, but I also mentioned he has the skills to be a backfield player in the running game as a blocker, runner, receiver and pre-snap motion piece.

At the end of the day, it's not about my previous assessment, it's more about the Cowboys FO and scouting staff have been doing a good job up front, and then the coaches on the backend being optimistic/open-minded enough to give him a role outside of his previously projected role as solely a TE.

Kudos to Kellen Moore and Lunda Wells here.

Hendershot helps the offense because he's a load, you have to account for him. One negative in his scouting report was that he goes down too easily. But I looked at the tape and that's the case, sometimes, but not always. And he has room and the ability to improve there.

Like Sam Williams, he also comes off as a nice guy when he speaks. And his draft stock was killed after the criminal charges were levied against him from a previous relationship. This probably wouldn't have phased me if I was in charge, because I know the nature of our system and society and have a pretty good grasp on psychology in general and how things go with these kinds of allegations, which are often merely control tactics women use when they don't get their way.

But I'm really rooting for Hendershot as a player, because he has the ability to turn into something special as a player and he apparently is a hard worker on the field.

On top of Hendershot, Jake Ferguson is also impressive. I suspected that would be the case. But after the draft, I couldn't decide which prospect had more potential between Hendershot and Ferguson. I still can't call that 100 percent, but I do think Hendershot has a slightly higher ceiling becuase he has the potential to be a more diverse player who can play TE, FB, H-back and ST.

rags747

Reaction score
Of all of our TE’s Hendershot has the greatest ability of being able to get downfield, not sure why we do not utilize him more in that area. Do love our TE group though. Both Hendershot and Ferguson were excellent pick ups this year, nice cheap contracts.

Mr_437

Reaction score
6-5, 250...is the prototype size at TE for the Cowboys, and these two TE are just that. What separates these guys from Shultz is their toughness, RAC n swag. Dallas will be fine without Shultz next year as the draft has a cluster of TEs maybe even better than Fergshot.

Offensive scheme. CeeDee Lamb is the slot WR and he works deep to intermediate routes over the middle leaving minimal opportunities for the TE to stretch the seam. Moreover, I don't necessarily see seam stretching as a strength of Fergshot. Both guys run a 4.8 (40) meaning deep speed isn't ideal, however they have good 10 yard splits and short area quickness (20y shuttle/3cone). They young TEs skill set works well w/ CeeDee because they have become a budding terror underneath (10-5 yards) and in the redzone.

Draft: remember the size prototype stated earlier? The draft is filled with guys hitting right on those numbers (16) with varying skill sets. Some of these guys are much faster than the current TE group and better receiving threats, but no matter who they choose Cowboys should be loaded at TE for years to come. Cowboys could set a trend with 3 to 4 TEs on the roster and using them all to create mismatches.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Of all of our TE’s Hendershot has the greatest ability of being able to get downfield, not sure why we do not utilize him more in that area. Do love our TE group though. Both Hendershot and Ferguson were excellent pick ups this year, nice cheap contracts.
Exactly what I was about to say…

Would like to see him downfield a little more, but I doubt we see it this year. Maybe next when 86 moves on.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I posted about Hendershot earlier this year having the ability to help the offense after our sluggish start in the opener. Most people who replied in that thread had a good laugh at my expense. So it's nice to get the last laugh here, because I mentioned in that post that Hendershot could help the offense as a passing weapon, but I also mentioned he has the skills to be a backfield player in the running game as a blocker, runner, receiver and pre-snap motion piece.

At the end of the day, it's not about my previous assessment, it's more about the Cowboys FO and scouting staff have been doing a good job up front, and then the coaches on the backend being optimistic/open-minded enough to give him a role outside of his previously projected role as solely a TE.

Hendershot helps the offense because he's a load, you have to account for him. One negative in his scouting report was that he goes down too easily. But I looked at the tape and that's the case, sometimes, but not always. And he has room and the ability to improve there.

Like Sam Williams, he also comes off as a nice guy when he speaks. And his draft stock was killed after the criminal charges were levied against him from a previous relationship. This probably wouldn't have phased me if I was in charge, because I know the nature of our system and society and have a pretty good grasp on psychology in general and how things go with these kinds of allegations, which are often merely control tactics women use when they don't get their way.

But I'm really rooting for Hendershot as a player, because he has the ability to turn into something special as a player and he apparently is a hard worker on the field.

On top of Hendershot, Jake Ferguson is also impressive. I suspected that would be the case. But after the draft, I couldn't decide which prospect had more potential between Hendershot and Ferguson. I still can't call that 100 percent, but I do think Hendershot has a slightly higher ceiling becuase he has the potential to be a more diverse player who can play TE, FB, H-back and ST.
I like what our scouting dept has done.
They took a 4th round pick and a UDFA and put us in a position to let Schultz walk at the end of the season.
That will really help the cap situation.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Exactly what I was about to say…

Would like to see him downfield a little more, but I doubt we see it this year. Maybe next when 86 moves on.
You want to 86 number 86? What you think he's not worth the 10 million? He's the best blocking tight end we have. lol

blueblood70

Reaction score

On top of Hendershot, Jake Ferguson is also impressive. I suspected that would be the case. But after the draft, I couldn't decide which prospect had more potential between Hendershot and Ferguson. I still can't call that 100 percent, but I do think Hendershot has a slightly higher ceiling because he has the potential to be a more diverse player who can play TE, FB, H-back and ST.
Yes Hendershot is the new Jarwin and Furgeson will take over Schultz position next year and McKeon is the depth,,souns like nice young core at TE.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You want to 86 number 86? What you think he's not worth the 10 million? He's the best blocking tight end we have. lol
Yes, its cap thing, Like AC, no NEED for 10mil guy when you have a younger, cheaper player at a similar skillset with more upside. Yes, 100% say goodbye to most likely zeke and Schultz gives us money for Pollard and lamb etc,, its a capped business. Seriously, its not hate , its a smart way to build a team.

Manster68

Reaction score
It's highly likely the Cowboys will lose Dalton Shultz in free agency next off season.

I wouldn't mind Dallas taking TE Brock Bowers from Georgia in the draft next April.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Yes, its cap thing, Like AC, no NEED for 10mil guy when you have a younger, cheaper player at a similar skillset with more upside. Yes, 100% say goodbye to most likely zeke and Schultz gives us money for Pollard and lamb etc,, its a capped business. Seriously, its not hate , its a smart way to build a team.
Don't forget Beckham.

wouldn't mind Dallas taking TE Brock Bowers from Georgia in the draft next April.
I don't think he's eligible...isn't he a true Sophmore? But Georgia does have two other TEs available...man their deep.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Don't forget Beckham.

I don't think he's eligible...isn't he a true Sophmore? But Georgia does have two other TEs available...man their deep.
OBJ is not high on my list,

sorry but if it happens, if it doesn't, ok..im indifferent. hes not a cowboy , so i didn't forget.

links18

Reaction score
Jerry is resigning Schultz. He won't let Dak's security blanket get away. So, Hendershot will be where he has been down the depth chart.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Jerry is resigning Schultz. He won't let Dak's security blanket get away. So, Hendershot will be where he has been down the depth chart.
Bet? schultz is gone because SJ will remind JJ about the cap and how we have 2 young TEs already here that easily replace schultz. this is about money, sorry you haven't been paying attention to all those payers the Joines are cutting every offseason.

ColeBeasley11

BruceCarter54
Reaction score
Kudos to you for seeing potential where most didn’t.
Ferguson looks way better to me but I like the potential of both. Hendershot looks faster and more agile. Ferguson looks more physical with some athleticism as well as soft hands. Schultz is by far best receiver and route runner. Just is a finesse player struggles in the run game.

links18

Reaction score
Bet? schultz is gone because SJ will remind JJ about the cap and how we have 2 young TEs already here that easily replace schultz. this is about money, sorry you haven't been paying attention to all those payers the Joines are cutting every offseason.
Schultz will be a Jerry special. He isn't letting that band break up.

Carson

Reaction score
It's highly likely the Cowboys will lose Dalton Shultz in free agency next off season.

I wouldn't mind Dallas taking TE Brock Bowers from Georgia in the draft next April.
A name I grow more and more intrigued with is TE - Michael Mayer out of Notre Dame. I wasn’t a huge fan if we were picking in the early 20s. But if we end up picking late 20s he is somebody I would love to get.