Henry vs Zeke

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Even if that’s true, which is not at all certain, so what? Nobody was saying that before the draft. Or a year after the draft, or 2 years after the draft, or three years after the draft. Saying it today is hindsight, and not even assured to be true since it is just one season.

That's the point of this thread, genius. Henry is having an amazing season, Zeke is being questioned if he deserved the contract he got.

> Nobody was saying that before the draft

Yeah, speak to your trash evaluation. I didn't think Zeke, or any other RB, was worth a top 5 pick. I wanted Henry, not Zeke. Now you see what Henry would have done behind our line in 2016. We flubbed.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's the point of this thread, genius. Henry is having an amazing season, Zeke is being questioned if he deserved the contract he got.

Yeah, speak to your trash evaluation. I didn't think Zeke, or any other RB, was worth a top 5 pick. I wanted Henry, not Zeke. Now you see what Henry would have done behind our line in 2016. We flubbed.
Hey, genius, you just got the bonehead award and don’t even know it. The point of the thread was the idea we could have passed on Zeke in 2016, drafted someone else, and picked up Henry later in the draft. If you are going to be a smart *** about what the thread is based on, bother reading the actual post the thread is based on.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The OP was about how we could have passed on Zeke and got Henry later. That was the context of my comment.

As for whether Henry just popped on the scene in year 4, of course in some context that’s not true, but as a quality alternative to Zeke it is very much true.

If you’re simply looking at the sum total of rush yards on given year without any context that would make sense.

In 2019, Henry ran for:
303 carries
1,540 yards
5.1 ypc
16 TDs

In 2018, Henry ran for:
215 carries
1,059 yards
4.9 ypc
12 TDs

If you simply project his stats from 2018 based on the equal number of carries (303) from 2019 (88 carries x 4.9 ypc) you get the following:

1,490 yards (1,059 + 431)

He was the same player in 2018.

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Hey, genius, you just got the bonehead award and don’t even know it. The point of the thread was the idea we could have passed on Zeke in 2016, drafted someone else, and picked up Henry later in the draft. If you are going to be a smart *** about what the thread is based on, bother reading the actual post the thread is based on.

Wrong. The title of this thread is Henry vs. Zeke. That's an outright comparison between the two, as the title implies. Either way, I just mentioned to you no RB was worth a top 5 pick...including Henry. If the draft happened now, I still wouldn't want Zeke or Henry top 5. I also said I wanted Henry in the the draft, which means I wanted to pass on Zeke and grab Henry.

And nothing in the OP implies the discussion isn't about Henry being better - the implication is there that Zeke isn't worth the money and that passing on him for an RB in the second round would have given us similar production for a lesser cost. Thus, the quality of play between the two actually matters here. HURR DURR.

Try again. But I remember you're the dude who couldn't understand how the wonderlic matters for QBs, how did Jackson look last night when he athleticism failed him until garbage time? Having to think and read a defense and make good decisions in big time games and his brain was spilling out of his ears having to think too much.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

With your terrible evaluation of this team and talent..........that's proof in itself they made the right pick.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If you’re simply looking at the sum total of rush yards on given year without any context that would make sense.

In 2019, Henry ran for:
303 carries
1,540 yards
5.1 ypc
16 TDs

In 2018, Henry ran for:
215 carries
1,059 yards
4.9 ypc
12 TDs

If you simply project his stats from 2018 based on the equal number of carries (303) from 2019 (88 carries x 4.9 ypc) you get the following:

1,490 yards (1,059 + 431)

He was the same player in 2018.
Why did Henry only get 215 carries in 2018?

blumayne38

Reaction score
I wouldn't pay either back 15 million, how about that?

But If I had to pick a back straight up it would be Henry. Even though Zeke is the more well rounded back.
I’d take zeke because he is a more well rounded back, unless that is Titans win out and win the super bowl on the back of Henry..then I concur with you’re statement.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
And to think we could have used the 4th pick in the draft on a more important position and taken Henry in the 2nd round?

Will Henry hold out for 16 million a year?

Hindsight post are useless. There is not one person who would have taken Henry over Zeke. Zeke was rated a top 5 pick and Henry a second rounder with a few having him going in the third.

I know, I know you, you had him ranked higher then Zeke.

blumayne38

Reaction score
Understood but we had greater needs on defense with that 4th overall pick . And still could have landed a solid RB in 2nd round like Henry.

The best OL in NFL shouldn’t have needed top RB. Murray was a great example. We simply became too arrogant of the OL and though a RB by committee would be enough.
Elliott is gonna be in the HOF and you’re talking about getting a late round RB...:rolleyes:

blumayne38

Reaction score

he deserves it, only media and bitter Dakazoids have that take on zeke.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Henry is having a once in a lifetime season, tbh.

Zeke is capable of having the same impact.

Actually this started at the seventh game last season and continued through yesterday. His last 28 games I believe is close to record setting.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
It has taken Henry a few years to really get going, this place would have already ripped him to peices before he got to this point of productivity.

Because they ran that stupid RB by committee. They had already paid FA Murray and I guess had to justify it. Which actually he was pretty damn good his two years in Tennessee. I myself was questioning why they drafted Henry after signing DeMarco.

blumayne38

Reaction score
This thread is out of hand, Henry is good Zeke is good

Hopefully we can see the cowboys offense next season get a chance to play some meaningful playoff games

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Henry would have 4 rushing titles if he were drafted by the Cowboys in 2016. If people think Zeke has been hamstrung by bad QB play and stacked boxes then Henry shouldn’t have a chance in Tennessee. Dude faces stacked boxes at a much greater % of his runs than Zeke has. Dude is a beast and can break long runs with the best of them.

Yes he is but that offensive line has played as good run blocking as any line in football over the last few years. Their blocking is what ours was in 2014/2015.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah we could’ve drafted that headache Jaylon Ramsey...wonder how that would’ve went lol.

yeah would suck to have an elite CB on the roster.

And LOL at trying to make it seem like Ramsey is a bad seed but Zeke is some angel.

We could have maybe had Ronnie Stanley, arguably the beat player in that draft.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Yes he is but that offensive line has played as good run blocking as any line in football over the last few years. Their blocking is what ours was in 2014/2015.

It's really not just offensive line though. Henry's ability to get to the second level comes down to the fact he sheds tackles far better than Zeke. His big run against the Ravens last night came from him shedding a tackle near the line and breaking off for a big gain.

Zeke benefited to getting to the second left in 2016 due to a great line, Henry benefits but also elevates with this run after contact ability.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I will gladly give you super major props if you post the links where you were lobbying for Henry.
I can’t vouch specifically for DHB on his stance, but the Ramsey/Bosa + Henry vs. Zeke + defender in 2nd round was a pretty spirited debate on the old DC.com board. We even had someone who claimed to be Derrick Henry’s cousin participating in them. It wasn’t just a Zeke vs. Henry debate. I believe almost everyone agreed Zeke was the best back at the time
The debate centered more around draft strategy.