Here’s why the Cowboys should move Maliek Collins back to the 3-tech defensive tackle position

waving monkey

Reaction score
When it is all said and done, the 2016 draft of the Dallas Cowboys could go down as one of the best hauls in team history. People remember the great starts of Dak Prescott who won Rookie of the Year, and Ezekiel Elliott who earned All-Pro status right out of the gate. And with a healthy Jaylon Smith flashing signs of greatness at camp, this draft class just keeps getting better. While those three are great, it’s easy to overlook another nice grab in the draft in third-round pick Maliek Collins.

After a strong rookie season where Collins had five sacks, the team appeared to have a new 3-tech defensive tackle. However, he was shifted over to the 1-tech spot last year to accommodate another up-and-come interior rusher - David Irving. Collins wasn’t able to repeat his rookie success as he only had 2.5 sacks last year, but the reasons are unclear. Was it due to his position change or could it be a result of a lingering foot injury he had throughout the year? Entering the 2018 season, Collins appears to be in line for another season at the 1-tech spot, however there are a lot of different factors that could eventually change things up. So we ask - where should Collins play in the trenches, or better yet - what arrangement gives the Cowboys defensive line the best chance to succeed
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...-back-to-the-3-tech-defensive-tackle-position

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Collins has only ever played 3T because of the lack of bodies at 1T. Marinelli has tried to get the 4 best guys on the line, and that meant moving him to 1T, but it's not as if that's where Dallas has ever wanted him.

Ideally, he's in some sort of rotation at the 3T with Irving, once everyone is healthy.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
If Collin's foot issues get figured out, he has the talent, the demeanor and work ethic to be a staple possible pro-bowler at a vital position for years to come. Irving may have more upside, but it's no longer worth risking what we have in Collins for what we might have in Irving.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
If Collin's foot issues get figured out, he has the talent, the demeanor and work ethic to be a staple possible pro-bowler at a vital position for years to come. Irving may have more upside, but it's no longer worth risking what we have in Collins for what we might have in Irving.
Collins can be counted on barring an injury, good player, consistent and hard worker like you mentioned.
And then you got old Boom or Bust Irving.
He was phenomenal for 8 games, then he got suspended again.
I'd rather roll with Collins as the starter since he's actually available and putting in the work to get ready. Irving can rotate in.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
OK.

I think our best starting lineup is LDE - Lawrence, 1T - Woods, 3T - Collins, RDE - ??????

Crawford will likely start, Charlton is out there but if Armstrong is really this ******* good, he might be the best RDE to start.
Really don’t see this staff not starting Crawford even if he’s outplayed. I feel like we’ve seen examples of this before.

AtlCPA

Reaction score
When it is all said and done, the 2016 draft of the Dallas Cowboys could go down as one of the best hauls in team history. People remember the great starts of Dak Prescott who won Rookie of the Year, and Ezekiel Elliott who earned All-Pro status right out of the gate. And with a healthy Jaylon Smith flashing signs of greatness at camp, this draft class just keeps getting better. While those three are great, it’s easy to overlook another nice grab in the draft in third-round pick Maliek Collins.

After a strong rookie season where Collins had five sacks, the team appeared to have a new 3-tech defensive tackle. However, he was shifted over to the 1-tech spot last year to accommodate another up-and-come interior rusher - David Irving. Collins wasn’t able to repeat his rookie success as he only had 2.5 sacks last year, but the reasons are unclear. Was it due to his position change or could it be a result of a lingering foot injury he had throughout the year? Entering the 2018 season, Collins appears to be in line for another season at the 1-tech spot, however there are a lot of different factors that could eventually change things up. So we ask - where should Collins play in the trenches, or better yet - what arrangement gives the Cowboys defensive line the best chance to succeed
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...-back-to-the-3-tech-defensive-tackle-position
The emergence of Woods and the unreliability of David Irving are the biggest reasons to move Collins back to 3T.

cern

Reaction score
we'll see where he is Saturday evening against the bengals. (if he plays at all). but he's definitely a 3t.

Sydla

Reaction score
Really don’t see this staff not starting Crawford even if he’s outplayed. I feel like we’ve seen examples of this before.

Totally.

I was just thinking what our best lineup would be. I like Crawford and I think he fills a valuable spot for us, but he is most definitely not our best RDE nor the one with the most potential there.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Totally.

I was just thinking what our best lineup would be. I like Crawford and I think he fills a valuable spot for us, but he is most definitely not our best RDE nor the one with the most potential there.
I think he starts out as the RDE, but as the season goes on I think somebody like Taco probably takes the starting spot.
And as nuts as it sounds, what if Gregory is a game-wrecker? And you mentioned Armstrong.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK.

I think our best starting lineup is LDE - Lawrence, 1T - Woods, 3T - Collins, RDE - ??????

Crawford will likely start, Charlton is out there but if Armstrong is really this ******* good, he might be the best RDE to start.

I expect RDE to be a committee. And I'm fine with that. I think Taco will spell Lawrence more on the left side.

All of the other spots, we're in lock step.