Here’s why the Cowboys should move Maliek Collins back to the 3-tech defensive tackle position

cern

Reaction score
Marinelli would like a word with you.
Marinelli's time here is short. eberflus was already offered his job but chose to go to indy. in all likelihood, Richard is here to take over as dc next year.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
They have 4 DTs on the roster now, they like Woods, and Price has played some. One of the 4 will be the starter whenever they are in a 1 tech alignment..

Number1

Reaction score
When it is all said and done, the 2016 draft of the Dallas Cowboys could go down as one of the best hauls in team history. People remember the great starts of Dak Prescott who won Rookie of the Year, and Ezekiel Elliott who earned All-Pro status right out of the gate. And with a healthy Jaylon Smith flashing signs of greatness at camp, this draft class just keeps getting better. While those three are great, it’s easy to overlook another nice grab in the draft in third-round pick Maliek Collins.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...-back-to-the-3-tech-defensive-tackle-position

Rod's going to move these guys around, but IMO Collins can be one of he better D3s in the game, when healthy. He should never have been moved to D1 on a bad huff.agile

Note, don't under estimate Ward or Jones at D3, it becomes much easier to play D3 when you have a serious edge rusher on your hip, and for the first time since... the Boys are deep at DE

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Rod's going to move these guys around, but IMO Collins can be one of he better D3s in the game, when healthy. He should never have been moved to D1 on a bad huff.agile

Note, don't under estimate Ward or Jones at D3, it becomes much easier to play D3 when you have a serious edge rusher on your hip, and for the first time since... the Boys are deep at DE

We're very unproven at DE. People assume that Armstrong, Charlton, and Gregory will play well during the regular season. We haven't seen any of that yet.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Really don’t see this staff not starting Crawford even if he’s outplayed. I feel like we’ve seen examples of this before.

Crawford starts in the base. Taco has not distinguished himself to take that over. I expect the other RDEs to take the nickel snaps over Crawford. They're better for pure pass rush, and certainly have lots more upside.

I thought Taco was likely pushing out Crawford at RDE this year, but the return of Gregory and the emergence of Armstrong make the development of Taco less of an imperative.

Base Ends: Lawrence, Crawford, Taco
Pass Rush Ends: Lawrence, Gregory, Armstrong, Tapper?

I wonder if they see Crawford as a nice base end option in case they decide not to pay Lawrence.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
After a strong rookie season where Collins had five sacks, the team appeared to have a new 3-tech defensive tackle. However, he was shifted over to the 1-tech spot last year to accommodate another up-and-come interior rusher - David Irving. Collins wasn’t able to repeat his rookie success as he only had 2.5 sacks last year, but the reasons are unclear. Was it due to his position change or could it be a result of a lingering foot injury he had throughout the year?

It's good for him to have experience at both. He's our 1tech/3tech tweener.

If we want more run defense, play him at 3T with Wood/Price at 1T. (Assuming he's better against the run than Irving, which I think is the case).
More pass defense, let him be the pass rushing DT at 1T with Irving at 3T.

I expect a good year for Collins if he remains healthy. Should have a much better supporting cast around him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think that is exactly it, but on passing downs I think you will see Taco and Crawford taking snaps at DT as well.

Maybe before Irving comes back, but I don't see it much after.

We've got 3Ts we like, and neither Taco nor Crawford are that thrilling as interior pass rushers.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The 3-T is key to what Marinelli wants to do with the DL.

Collins quite frankly is not up to the standard. He is not the kind of player you feature as a centerpiece. Not even close.

waving monkey

Reaction score
The 3-T is key to what Marinelli wants to do with the DL.

Collins quite frankly is not up to the standard. He is not the kind of player you feature as a centerpiece. Not even close.
Collins is a fine 3 but he's not developing hes tech because they are putting him at 1.
With AWoods appearing Collins will get more work at the 3 and what "close" is.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Collins is a fine 3 but he's not developing hes tech because they are putting him at 1.
With AWoods appearing Collins will get more work at the 3 and what "close" is.
He is not a fine 3-T. He is a placeholder for Irving and should lose snaps to players like Ward and Jones.