CFZ Here's how I would fix the offense

Sydla

Reaction score
Dak is getting restructured so that's a given. But as Parcells said, you need to start taking the ball out of Dak's hands and get it back to being a physical run based O (similar to what say San Fran does).

The next step would be figuring out what to do with your three OTs. Smith, Steele and Smith. They could just put Tyron back at LT and Tyler goes to LG but the cost associated with that is pretty high. Trading Tyron would save you $10 million in cap space. A real GM could probably get a decent haul for him. Jerry will get some late round pick because he sucks at trades. I think you have to bite the bullet and move on from Tyron. I hate it. But the franchise has faith in the two younger OTs and the cap savings is significant.

Further, along the OL, go out and find a legit veteran OC or OG that is high quality. Interior OL play has to improve. Biadasz could work if you flanked him with Martin and then a legit LG. Unfortunately, the Cowboys seem to think you draft your starting OL, which is dumb, but that's what I would do. But to me, bringing in a vet OG, even an older one who is only a year or two fix makes sense. This team isn't building to win 3 years from now. They have to win now.

Zeke has to be cut. Even if he took a major salary cut, his cap hit is too much. He's also in decline. Bring Pollard back, maybe even on a short term prove it deal since he's coming off major injury. Then you need a vet and there is a guy out there that I think would be a great fit. Raheem Mostert. I don't know how tough it would be to get him because he seems to love playing for the Shanahan/McDaniel tree and I suspect Miami wants him back. But give me Pollard, Mostert and then I can grab a TB in the middle to late rounds of the draft. Maybe even two given we have some comp picks coming our way as well.

WR has to get fixed. Lamb is a good start. The criticism of Gallup is unwarranted as he's not the first, nor the last, guy that took a year or so to get his feet back after leg surgery. I am also not ready to give up on Tolbert but he can't be viewed as part of the solution at this point. Go get a veteran WR, one higher on the pecking order than a James Washington. Then draft another, preferably in the first couple of rounds. Hyatt from Tennessee would be a nice fit here.

So

- Trade Tyron
- Sign a vet OG (or OC)
- Cut Zeke
- SIgn a guy like Mostert
- Target TB(s) in middle to late rounds
- Vet WR from a barrel higher than where they found Washington
- Draft WR in first three rounds

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree they will restructure the QB. I agree on Tyron. I would definitely drop Elliott and say bye bye to Pollard cuz he will get bigger bucks then a prove it deal.

I would spend the first 2-4 draft picks on The best DTs and an OG or center on my board when it’s time to pick. I’d look for another RB in later rounds.

My free agency targets would be 1-2 WRs.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Dak is getting restructured so that's a given. But as Parcells said, you need to start taking the ball out of Dak's hands and get it back to being a physical run based O (similar to what say San Fran does).

The next step would be figuring out what to do with your three OTs. Smith, Steele and Smith. They could just put Tyron back at LT and Tyler goes to LG but the cost associated with that is pretty high. Trading Tyron would save you $10 million in cap space. A real GM could probably get a decent haul for him. Jerry will get some late round pick because he sucks at trades. I think you have to bite the bullet and move on from Tyron. I hate it. But the franchise has faith in the two younger OTs and the cap savings is significant.

Further, along the OL, go out and find a legit veteran OC or OG that is high quality. Interior OL play has to improve. Biadasz could work if you flanked him with Martin and then a legit LG. Unfortunately, the Cowboys seem to think you draft your starting OL, which is dumb, but that's what I would do. But to me, bringing in a vet OG, even an older one who is only a year or two fix makes sense. This team isn't building to win 3 years from now. They have to win now.

Zeke has to be cut. Even if he took a major salary cut, his cap hit is too much. He's also in decline. Bring Pollard back, maybe even on a short term prove it deal since he's coming off major injury. Then you need a vet and there is a guy out there that I think would be a great fit. Raheem Mostert. I don't know how tough it would be to get him because he seems to love playing for the Shanahan/McDaniel tree and I suspect Miami wants him back. But give me Pollard, Mostert and then I can grab a TB in the middle to late rounds of the draft. Maybe even two given we have some comp picks coming our way as well.

WR has to get fixed. Lamb is a good start. The criticism of Gallup is unwarranted as he's not the first, nor the last, guy that took a year or so to get his feet back after leg surgery. I am also not ready to give up on Tolbert but he can't be viewed as part of the solution at this point. Go get a veteran WR, one higher on the pecking order than a James Washington. Then draft another, preferably in the first couple of rounds. Hyatt from Tennessee would be a nice fit here.

So

- Trade Tyron
- Sign a vet OG (or OC)
- Cut Zeke
I don’t disagree but what is the FO history. I will draft a running back earlier and offensive guard early.

Sydla

Reaction score
Let me clarify something. My feelings on Tyron are tied to the assumption Steele has already had his ACL surgery, which may actually not be the case. If he's held off the surgery because of swelling and other issues (which isn't uncommon), then that would probably change things. I would only move on from Tyron if the medical staff was confident Steele would be ready for the season (or at least a couple of weeks into it).

But that may not be the case. If Steele is a mid-season come back, then that would obviously change things.

And before someone says look at Gallup, Gallup didn't have his surgery until around mid-February. So already he was a long shot to start the season. Again, if Steele hasn't had his surgery, then yeah, that would change things.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let me clarify something. My feelings on Tyron are tied to the assumption Steele has already had his ACL surgery, which may actually not be the case. If he's held off the surgery because of swelling and other issues (which isn't uncommon), then that would probably change things. I would only move on from Tyron if the medical staff was confident Steele would be ready for the season (or at least a couple of weeks into it).

But that may not be the case. If Steele is a mid-season come back, then that would obviously change things.

And before someone says look at Gallup, Gallup didn't have his surgery until around mid-February. So already he was a long shot to start the season. Again, if Steele hasn't had his surgery, then yeah, that would change things.
Good point on Steele and if he has had surgery. Also he is a RFA, so he would need to agree to terms of the offer, or a new extended contract.
I hope he doest do what DLaw did and say no new contract, no surgery.

If he looks to be 100%, look to the Bengals for a trade for Tyron. They have a history of signing our FA's, and they worked out well for them.
And they do need OL.

cowboybish

Reaction score
Biadaz is a solid C not great but solid and will be another year in and should be even stronger and better. He's young!
Pick 1 - draft the best OG, (a mauler) on the board just like last year. Now we have a young Oline except Martin to play the next 3 years.
Pick 2 - the very best DT plug for the middle of the Dline. (Shouldn't have let Ridgeway go so quickly)
Pick 3 - the best LB available
Pick 4 - a speedy RB that can catch the ball
The rest of the picks - DB's
*** Option - If a really good QB prospect is available at pick 28 or 60 then take it

* keep your eyes open for a veteran QB for back up
* Release Tyron keep Peters for one year as both a quick fix and to help the young Olineman
* Zeke - restructure or be cut and that he will be the main blocking back and FB. He is a team player and isn't naive to think he's not the player he was. He wants to die a Cowboy.
* keep Pollard but only if he's willing to a fair short deal like 3 years
* there are many decent veteran WR that can be traded for (see TY Hilton)
* see if Ramsey is available
* last but not least - rework Dak's contract even if it means bottling up the money in a bonus and still have it a 2 year contract (not sure how this could work)

Aven8

Reaction score
They already have a young back with promise, Malik Davis. They just need to figure out the other back. Whether that’s a stud rookie, or Pollard, Sanders etc.

Ken

Reaction score

So

- Trade Tyron
- Sign a vet OG (or OC)
- Cut Zeke
I would throw more resources at the WR position. Injuries happen and no guarantees with Gallup.

Also, maybe Tolbert comes around and plays great but they know what the issue is better than we do. I am personally wondering if there is some other issue there. They made mention of throwing too much at him but lining up etc (except for offsides) wasn't an issue. Is there a mental issue there? Anxiety or something? Basing that off nothing but I didn't think his actual play warranted never seeing the field considering what was in front of him.

I am adding a blazer wr in the first 3 rounds.

I am drafting 2 rbs. I consider not bringing back Pollard if he is going to ask for the world. There are some Pollard type backs in this draft.

Sydla

Reaction score
I would throw more resources at the WR position. Injuries happen and no guarantees with Gallup.

Also, maybe Tolbert comes around and plays great but they know what the issue is better than we do. I am personally wondering if there is some other issue there. They made mention of throwing too much at him but lining up etc (except for offsides) wasn't an issue. Is there a mental issue there? Anxiety or something? Basing that off nothing but I didn't think his actual play warranted never seeing the field considering what was in front of him.

I am adding a blazer wr in the first 3 rounds.

I am drafting 2 rbs. I consider not bringing back Pollard if he is going to ask for the world. There are some Pollard type backs in this draft.
Well for starters, there are no real big time WRs in FA at this point unless you consider someone like DJ Chark or Sterling Shepard big time. I actually like Shepard but I suspect you think we need more.

So you are left with a guy like that and drafting someoe in the first three rounds. You already have Lamb and dollars tied up into Gallup. That's just the reality. If you bring in a Shepard and draft a kid who turns out to be good for a rookie, that should be more than enough for Dak. If Dak can't work with that then it's clear we have a QB problem.

exciter

Reaction score

So

- Trade Tyron
- Sign a vet OG (or OC)
- Cut Zeke
The issue with trading Tyron and getting any type of compensation will be if he’s willing to sign an extension with said team. That’s a lot of moving parts. If some team calls, I’m sure they’ll consider it and I’m guessing they give him a chance to negotiate/talk… and then workout the compensation. Until then I think he has more value to them as a player than the cap space created!

Sydla

Reaction score
The issue with trading Tyron and getting any type of compensation will be if he’s willing to sign an extension with said team. That’s a lot of moving parts. If some team calls, I’m sure they’ll consider it and I’m guessing they give him a chance to negotiate/talk… and then workout the compensation. Until then I think he has more value to them as a player than the cap space created!
He doesn't necessarily have to sign an extension. Some team may only want him for one year and then decide later what to do.

And no, if he's not going to start, then he doesn't have more value as player compared to a 10-13 million cap savings. A lot will depend on what they plan on doing with him. If they view him as their starting LT with Tyler going to LG? OK. Or do they think Steele is better as a swing guy and Tyron goes to RT? Sure.

But if they decide we are going to go with Tyler at LT and Steele at RT, then it makes no sense to bring Tyron back at that number. But as pointed out, this might all be moot, if Steele is going to miss a big chunk of the season.

Ken

Reaction score
Well for starters, there are no real big time WRs in FA at this point unless you consider someone like DJ Chark or Sterling Shepard big time. I actually like Shepard but I suspect you think we need more.

So you are left with a guy like that and drafting someoe in the first three rounds. You already have Lamb and dollars tied up into Gallup. That's just the reality. If you bring in a Shepard and draft a kid who turns out to be good for a rookie, that should be more than enough for Dak. If Dak can't work with that then it's clear we have a QB problem.
Ya i'm not for signing a big FA WR at all. I am for investing in another burner in the draft. I think a wr in the Randal Cobb mold would also be perfect in FA.

I think we will get more explosive with Ferg at TE and if we add juice to our RB position.

That is where the growth will come form in our offense and the line getting better with experience and hopefully a mauler inside form the draft.

exciter

Reaction score
He doesn't necessarily have to sign an extension. Some team may only want him for one year and then decide later what to do.

And no, if he's not going to start, then he doesn't have more value as player compared to a 10-13 million cap savings. A lot will depend on what they plan on doing with him. If they view him as their starting LT with Tyler going to LG? OK. Or do they think Steele is better as a swing guy and Tyron goes to RT? Sure.

But if they decide we are going to go with Tyler at LT and Steele at RT, then it makes no sense to bring Tyron back at that number. But as pointed out, this might all be moot, if Steele is going to miss a big chunk of the season.
Not for any type of compensation… unless the GM on said team is a moron. They picked Tyler with the idea that he would be a gaurd paired with Tyron in their run heavy, 12 personnel base offense. Really don’t think anything has changed other than they’re a lot more confident they can withstand a prolonged injury from Tyron!

Sydla

Reaction score
Not for any type of compensation… unless the GM on said team is a moron. They picked Tyler with the idea that he would be a gaurd paired with Tyron in their run heavy, 12 personnel base offense. Really don’t think anything has changed other than they’re a lot more confident they can withstand a prolonged injury from Tyron!
And if that's what they want to do, that makes sense.

But the reality is saving 10 million on the cap to spend in areas where they need help might not be unwise now that they know they have a legitimate LT in Tyler Smith.

In other words, I am not closing the door on moving Tyron at this point (again with the caveat that if Steele is out until say late October or November, that changes the calculus).

kskboys

Reaction score

So

- Trade Tyron
- Sign a vet OG (or OC)
- Cut Zeke
To expound: Sign an OG who is a big nasty run blocker. We tend to focus on their dancing ability, their 2nd level blocking and pass blocking and end up w/ guys who don't open up holes for the running game.

Get Dak under the tutelage of Rush for handing off the ball. Dak is telegraphing when he is going to run/pass by "lazy" handoffs. He's not being crisp w/ it, making the defenders hesitate that extra tic that makes a play work. IMO, that's why we see defenders in the backfield as soon as they the RB gets the ball when Dak is QB.

Can't disagree w/ anything. Get a route running WR in FA.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So

- Trade Tyron
- Sign a vet OG (or OC)
- Cut Zeke
No trade value for Tyron.

Can't count on Steele in 2023 (see Gallup).

exciter

Reaction score
And if that's what they want to do, that makes sense.

But the reality is saving 10 million on the cap to spend in areas where they need help might not be unwise now that they know they have a legitimate LT in Tyler Smith.

In other words, I am not closing the door on moving Tyron at this point (again with the caveat that if Steele is out until say late October or November, that changes the calculus).
That’s exactly what they were planning before Steele got hurt… even tried to continue with the idea with Peters. Unless the draft offer is something they flat can’t refuse I don’t see it happening! 17m cap hit for a LT that allows an average 1 sack per season is hard to walk away from!

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Trading Tyron would be a good desicion he should still have value, I draft at least 1 RB and give Davis a serious look this year. We need 1 WR and i agree on Gallup but man that needs to work out. You for sure look at any DT that is worth the draft spot your in no matter round, earlier the better. CB's and i know i'm going to catch flak for this, Diggs lost any respect i had for him in that game. I dont want any player on my team who is making business desicions during a divisional round playoff game that is still very much in the balance, No i dont need him taking on pulling gaurds during the regular season... but hitting a TE who is in the middle of a catch during a playoff game is far from asking too much. DRAFT SOME CB's the rookie on the otherside looks like a player to me.