Here we go. Baseball crippled on opening day

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by _sturt_, Jul 23, 2020.

1. _sturt_

_sturt_ Well-Known Member

2,479 Messages
    2,401 Likes Received

Is it just Soto, or will there prove to be others sidelined?

Let's see what happens.

2. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

23,670 Messages
    45,985 Likes Received
    "Crippled" seems a bit reactionary. There are a few Covid guys but it's not like baseball teams never lose players to injury.

Bottom line is the games have begun. Gerrit Cole and Max Scherzer dueled in DC tonight.

3. stiletto

stiletto Well-Known Member

5,729 Messages
    7,040 Likes Received
    It's going to be like that all season, guys will be out here and there for awhile...then if it gets through a whole team or two...they'll shut it down. Baseball is probably the best "social" distance team sport. Players barely come in contact, it's the locker rooms that will be the problem should it spread.

4. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

3,400 Messages
    1,600 Likes Received
    Yeah, been my thoughts on baseball. Locker room and maybe dugout. The ump and the catcher are the only two that spend an extended amount of time in closer contact on the field. I didn't watch the games so don't know if they made any adjustments there.

5. glimmerman

glimmerman Well-Known Member

19,674 Messages
    20,325 Likes Received
    This is gonna happen.

Whyjerry likes this.
  6. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

17,316 Messages
    14,895 Likes Received
    Atlanta Braves have both catchers test positive
    Had to call players up from taxi squad
    I’m thinking nfl needs to really expand PS and have a 14 days DL that as many as needed can go and return

7. Parcells4Life

Parcells4Life Well-Known Member

4,511 Messages
    7,569 Likes Received
    The Braves didn’t have their players test positive just symptoms. They’ve been negative on the test but are being cautious.

Soto sounds like Joey Gallo locally that he was asymptomatic and is getting different results from tests. He took another rapid test that said negative but it’s not the official test MLB uses.

conner01 likes this.
  8. Parcells4Life

4,511 Messages
    7,569 Likes Received
  9. Whyjerry

Whyjerry Well-Known Member

9,411 Messages
    15,192 Likes Received
    Guy is probably eating popcorn right now. Getting a massage and binging Netflix. Ever notice how all these Covid positive athletes don’t even get sick? I suffered loss from this early on so I am not down playing the risk then but now it is just another tool to make Americans hate one another. Soto will be fine and he will chew up pitchers in a few weeks.

Air Force One likes this.
  10. Parcells4Life

4,511 Messages
    7,569 Likes Received
    The Braves 1B had a fever of 104 and was concerned one night he was either going to be hospitalized or die.

2 weeks later he’s back in the lineup.

11. Whyjerry

Whyjerry Well-Known Member

9,411 Messages
    15,192 Likes Received
    I am blessed to not have gotten COVID but 3 years ago I got the flu for the first time and only time. Woke up to take a leak on a Sunday night. Passed out cold on the floor on the way back to the bed. My wife woke up to yell at me. What the hell are you doing she said. LMAO. For 4 days I thought I was dying. 103. Headaches. Shivering. Useless. A week later I was cleaning up some snow and still couldn’t breathe. I am not down playing this at all. My point is we get sick. Death rates are way down. I am feeling good about this.

RJ_MacReady and Kevinicus like this.
  12. EST_1986

EST_1986 Well-Known Member

8,154 Messages
    11,565 Likes Received
    That’s just the man flu. My two time’s getting it I had the same uselessness

Whyjerry likes this.
  13. stiletto

5,729 Messages
    7,040 Likes Received
  14. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Moderator

46,895 Messages
    25,495 Likes Received
  15. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

16,108 Messages
    22,420 Likes Received
    But to be fair, it's the Marlins. Their games should be cancelled to begin with.

16. Ghost12

Ghost12 Well-Known Member

1,560 Messages
    1,587 Likes Received
    It seems strange to me how excited the sports media gets reporting on this.

17. fivetwos

fivetwos Well-Known Member

8,479 Messages
    9,887 Likes Received
    This is the first time I've seriously questioned the ability to have an NFL season.

I dont see how this doesnt happen much more rapidly in a contact sport.

Besides that, all it takes is one idiot (and theres plenty of them) who thinks he is invincible to break rules, catch it, give it to teammates, who give it other teams.

Now....ita not at all a death sentence to NFL player type of people....but this whole thing very quickly went from things like "flattening curve" and not overburdening hospitals to.....trying to prevent as many people as possible from getting it.

Ya'll can draw your own conclusions as to why that may be, I'll just mention it happens to be an election year.

RJ_MacReady and Beast_from_East like this.
  18. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

3,400 Messages
    1,600 Likes Received
  19. ActualCowboysFan

ActualCowboysFan Well-Known Member

4,436 Messages
    6,668 Likes Received
    Hmm the Marlins are in on it. Maybe the Dolphins too Ace. Finkle is Einhorn

20. stiletto

5,729 Messages
    7,040 Likes Received
    Not to mention much more contact related in every way.

MichaelWinicki likes this.