Here's who's earning praise instead of Rico

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yes...its definitely a lull. I want so badly for Rico to light it up...I'm hoping he's a gamer.

I hope that he does succeed here as well. I don't know anyone who doesn't. But if anyone is following the statements coming out from OTAs, Garrett doesn't seem too keen on him at TE. That's why I'd suggest giving him a go on the DL. I think he'd be fine there, and he'd fill a hole that we do need filling there.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
LMAO...critical thinking? Lord...someone takes things a little too seriously...

You have to take something seriously to use critical thinking? That is sad.

It's second nature to me.

And you are not even arguing points but trying to deflect with this garbage. You all but admit you make things up to keep your opinions. It is what it is.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, IMO Gathers is gone, because he’s 4th. They’ll put him on the PS, where he’ll be poached by Philly or NE or Pitt or GB. Then, THEY will develop him, and reap the benefits.

I identify with Dallas, and let me tell you why. I’ll have a yard sale, and try to sell a couch for $50. It might be worth 3X that, but I have no interest except one person at the end of the day, a casual white collar dude who sees a final peice to his basement man cave. He offers $20, even though he’s got six times that much in coffee money on a clip in his pocket. I relent, just wanting to get SOMETHING for it, and he talks a kid into loading it into his pretentious SUV. Three and half years of use later, HE sells it in his own yard sale for $200...

I think your scenario is likely to a point, I'm just not so sure the next team will reap much of a benefit. They "might", but I think that is very much up in the air. Some teams may be a better fit for him though than the Cowboys, who need run blocking to mesh with a heavy running game. Other teams may not rely as much on blocking from the TE.

ESisback

Reaction score
So much stands to change with the offensive skill positions in general outside of Zeke. The competition for spots between RB, WR, and TE is going to be fierce. Heck the competition between White and CRush should be a good one too.

There should be room to go long at two of those spots with the team being so set at OL. I could see 4 RB and/oror TE, 6 WR, and/or 3QB.

People are trying to make it between Jarwin and Rico but that is a gross oversimplification. Scarbrough, Jackson, Rush, White, Jarwin, Rico, Swaim, Schultz, Wilson, Brown, Lenoir, Cannon, Thompson, etc are competing for limited spots.

There are 25 spots for offense. Dak, Zeke, Smith, Hurns, Beasley, Smith, Martin, Fred, Williams, LC, Fleming, Looney, one more OL are the locks. Green and Martin will likely battle for the last OL spot and that leaves 12 spots for everyone else. QB3 competes with WR6, competes with RB4/5, competes with TE4.

IMO:
OL—8
QB—3
RB—3
WR—6
TE—3
ST—3
LB—7
DL—10
DB—10

Big_D

Reaction score
Rico will see time. This is now a TE committee.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Honestly, as long as Austin is able to hold onto the ball, I'm not terribly concerned about our return game. I think that our offense will be so dynamic that it may not matter where we start with the ball.

What did Jerry talk Sean Payton into becoming the head coach last night. Remember this is the same coaching staff that though throwing at the goal line was better than 3 tries with Zeke.

ESisback

Reaction score
I think your scenario is likely to a point, I'm just not so sure the next team will reap much of a benefit. They "might", but I think that is very much up in the air. Some teams may be a better fit for him though than the Cowboys, who need run blocking to mesh with a heavy running game. Other teams may not rely as much on blocking from the TE.

Yeah, it’s just that stupid Murphy’s Law/Bad Karma crap. I have a vision of Gathers in green doing a stupid dance after catching a 30 yard pass from his new “blood brother” Carson Wentz on a third-and-26 against the Boys in a big game...

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Thought I read somewhere Rico had added extra weight to focus more on blocking. Garrett comments seem to suggest he still has quite a ways to go but sounds to me like he just needs experience as in all the reps he can get. Understand the excitement about Jarwin but keep an eye on Wells.....

Big_D

Reaction score
Yeah, but is it a committee of 3 or 4? If it's 3 Rico could be the one left out.

Considering Swaim in 3 years had a pectoral tear a foot fracture and knee injury, 4 might be the way to go. Keep 5WRs and 4TEs

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a feeling if the kid from Stanford( Schwartz is it?) is not our future TE he’s not on our roster.

Regardless , I’d expect a pretty good drop off from the TE position in passing production compared to Witten era which might not be a negative. We could pick it up from other positions.

There has already been a pretty good drop off from the TE position the last several years from what it was in the heart of the Witten era. 600-700 yards shouldn't be that hard to replace. The tougher thing to replace may be the subtle things we got from Witten - the leadership, the subtle pass route maneuvers, the understanding of defenses and how to find the open zone etc ...

glimmerman

Reaction score
We will put Rico on PS or release him and he will end up on the pats and brady makes him look like gronk 2.0.. lol

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Rico Gathers is one of the more fan over-hyped guys in recent Cowboys history who has never even been active for an NFL game yet. Rico has yet to show anything other than in shorts or against preseason 3rd stringers who will never play on Sundays. And after a short round of OTA's, it wasn't Rico who was getting the kudos from the FO and coaches as the up and coming TE so far.

Drum roll....it's Blake Jarwin.

Both Jason Garrett and VP of Player Personnel Will McClay have publicly tabbed Jarwin as a guy who has impressed them so far. Neither has had anything to say about Rico without a reporter asking them how Rico is doing. Their responses are much more muted than with Jarwin.

Last year after Geoff Swaim went down with a knee injury, the Cowboys brought Jarwin up from the practice squad for a short stint. He didn't light the world on fire but McClay has said the Eagles were about ready to snatch Jarwin off the practice squad before the Cowboys brought him up.

Let me clarify- I'm not proclaiming Blake Jarwin as the next Jason Witten or that he's about to catch 50 passes next year. But I am going to say that Rico is running a distant 4th in TE depth chart behind Swaim, Jarwin and rookie 4th rounder Dalton Schultz. And the early comments coming from Garrett on Rico aren't exactly glowing.

It's too early to say the "Rico Gathers experiment" is over, but the big guy has a ton of improving to do just to make the 53 man roster. Being an "athletic specimen" is not enough to be on an NFL roster. The clock is ticking on Rico and he has lots of impressing to do to salvage even making this team. TRaining Camp is now or never for the big guy.

Below are a couple of links to stories on this topic.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...oys-offense-in-2018-blake-jarwin-tavon-austin

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...ers-progress-He-needs-more-football-118656733

Yep I called this last week on my thread about jarwin. He will be a steal.

starfan1

Reaction score
There has already been a pretty good drop off from the TE position the last several years from what it was in the heart of the Witten era. 600-700 yards shouldn't be that hard to replace. The tougher thing to replace may be the subtle things we got from Witten - the leadership, the subtle pass route maneuvers, the understanding of defenses and how to find the open zone etc ...
THIS^^^ as much as i love me some Witten him being slow as he was in past few years coupled with Bryant's route Tree and lack of separation and lately Dak's accuracy issues all played into why teams load up the box to stop Zeke

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
That you did, old boy. He's turning out to be really rather good, as far as we're hearing.

My thing is if he doesn't pan out in live action then we could have the worse TE talent this season. So far nobody else is making any noise.