Hey NCAA, Amatuerism is dead

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The more I look at the NCAA and its rules, the more mind boggling that it is allowed to exist. The foundational premise is basically to ensure that poor kids stay poor. I can kind of understand schools not directly paying football and basketball players b/c of Title IX. But kids can't get paid to work a summer camp? They can't get paid if someone wants an autograph? Some kind benefactor can't chip in for a plane ticket so mom can go to a game? These kinds of curbs on fundamental rights to earn a living exist no where else in America. In fact, a student on an academic scholarship or music scholarship has no such restrictions on their ability to acquire wealth.

The olympics did away with amatuerism a long time ago and its time for the NCAA did as well. If a 15 or 16 year old has the god given talent to entice Nike or Addidas to sponsor them, I don't see a problem or why it should effect their college eligibility.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
The NCAA owns the game(s) as do the colleges.

They make the $$$$$$$$$$ and there is no reason to share it.

With the kids who put the physical future on the line to play.

4th_and_short

Reaction score
The really good kids are getting paid or benefiting in some way, don’t be naive. It’s the NCAA’s worst kept secret.

ghst187

Reaction score
College athletics and the NCAA need torn up and started over.
Not sure what the answer is but from “students” who have never attended a class to inside linebacker coaches making $900,000 per year while taking tax dollars and normal students graduate from those same colleges with $100,000 student loan debts something just seems horribly wrong plus add in a criminal enterprise called the ncaa and what a steaming pile.

uvaballa

Reaction score
The really good kids are getting paid or benefiting in some way, don’t be naive. It’s the NCAA’s worst kept secret.
The really good kids are allowing kids who play sports like college golf, lacrosse, softball, etc to get free rides since those sports cannot support themselves. They should be getting paid.

kskboys

Reaction score
The more I look at the NCAA and its rules, the more mind boggling that it is allowed to exist. The foundational premise is basically to ensure that poor kids stay poor. I can kind of understand schools not directly paying football and basketball players b/c of Title IX. But kids can't get paid to work a summer camp? They can't get paid if someone wants an autograph? Some kind benefactor can't chip in for a plane ticket so mom can go to a game? These kinds of curbs on fundamental rights to earn a living exist no where else in America. In fact, a student on an academic scholarship or music scholarship has no such restrictions on their ability to acquire wealth.

The olympics did away with amatuerism a long time ago and its time for the NCAA did as well. If a 15 or 16 year old has the god given talent to entice Nike or Addidas to sponsor them, I don't see a problem or why it should effect their college eligibility.
Don't get me wrong, they'd have to revamp the entire system, but I agree that kids need to get paid for their work.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't get me wrong, they'd have to revamp the entire system, but I agree that kids need to get paid for their work.

I'm not sure they would have to revamp that much. All they really have to do is get out of the way of kids trying to make money on their own. If the University is selling jerseys with a kids name on it, pay him a royalty. Let the shoe companies give money to who they want to support. There is no reason for the NCAA to get involved in that way and infringe upon someones right to earn a living. In terms of pay for play, they really can't b/c of title 9. If they pay the mens basketball team, they have to come up with an equal amount of money for the non-revenue generating women's basketball team as well. Most athletic departments would go bankrupt. So, the money i'm talking about really has nothing to do with the schools.

4th_and_short

Reaction score
The really good kids are allowing kids who play sports like college golf, lacrosse, softball, etc to get free rides since those sports cannot support themselves. They should be getting paid.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t. Just that it’s already happening and everyone looks the other way until the lid blows off Laremy Tunsil style.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm not sure they would have to revamp that much. All they really have to do is get out of the way of kids trying to make money on their own. If the University is selling jerseys with a kids name on it, pay him a royalty. Let the shoe companies give money to who they want to support. There is no reason for the NCAA to get involved in that way and infringe upon someones right to earn a living. In terms of pay for play, they really can't b/c of title 9. If they pay the mens basketball team, they have to come up with an equal amount of money for the non-revenue generating women's basketball team as well. Most athletic departments would go bankrupt. So, the money i'm talking about really has nothing to do with the schools.
You'd have to either pay all an equal amount, or split the DIV 1 schools. I think there's a lot more logistics involved than you're thinking.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You'd have to either pay all an equal amount, or split the DIV 1 schools. I think there's a lot more logistics involved than you're thinking.

My point is that b/c of title ix, schools cannot get into the business of paying players. Allowing individual players to earn on their own merits gets around that issue and is fair. When I was a kid, there was a camp counselor who was a UT Vol football player. He worked the entire summer but couldn't accept money b/c of his scholarship. Its stupid crud like that the NCAA does not need to be involved in.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fans are assuming these student athletes will become professional. Only about 10% of all student athletes go pro.

The gift is an education should they choose to remain in school which will continue paying dividends for the rest of their life. This opportunity often saves kids from their environment.

I’m all for providing these kids additional funds for their living conditions but to pay them a salary or place them under contract would not be in accordance with a student athlete.

These Universities have invested with their scholarships and facilities and should recieve the benefits these athletes provide. If these athletes turn out to be good enough to turn pro then they will ultimately be rewarded.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s such a small percentage of these student athletes that are worth more than the education they’re provided.

4 years of eligibility is worth at some of these major universities close to $200,000 and that doesn’t include the benefits of a lifetime if they recieve a degree and or the association and opportunities it presents .

It’s only a handful of players ( about 10%)who’d deserve a personal contract above and beyond the cost of their education and they will be rewarded professionally.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The core problem is actually the NFL and NBA because MLB signs kid says right out of high school.

The NBA used to sign kids out of high school and chose to change their rule.

The NFL is concerned these teenagers aren’t physically developed yet.

The NCAA doesn’t need to do anything unless they need to compete with the NFL and NBA for talent.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The core problem is actually the NFL and NBA because MLB signs kid says right out of high school.

The NBA used to sign kids out of high school and chose to change their rule.

The NFL is concerned these teenagers aren’t physically developed yet.

The NCAA doesn’t need to do anything unless they need to compete with the NFL and NBA for talent.

It is not just pro prospects running afoul of these rules. When a 17 year old kid signs a football scholarship, nobody knows if he's going to develop into a pro prospects. But, companies still want him wearing there gear and working at their clinics. The NCAA says no. Can't accept free goods or a job while enrolled. There are simply too many rules that serve no purpose other than to prevent someone from getting ahead.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It is not just pro prospects running afoul of these rules. When a 17 year old kid signs a football scholarship, nobody knows if he's going to develop into a pro prospects. But, companies still want him wearing there gear and working at their clinics. The NCAA says no. Can't accept free goods or a job while enrolled. There are simply too many rules that serve no purpose other than to prevent someone from getting ahead.
I’m in favor of tweaking some of the rules applied to the manufacture labels as you’ve referred to.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

It's communism and that is not hyperbole. I cannot stand it.