Hey, Russ. Enjoyin' your 35 mil?

Flamma

Reaction score
That's not the point of my post, it was that other quarterbacks have to be the top money earner even though they say "It's not about the money".

But it is, 99% of the time. As I was taught in management class in college, many people who aren't happy with in their job complain about the money, but in most cases it isn't the money, it's lack of recognition, etc. That's why you give people "promotions" to things like "Assistant to the assistant...", even with no or very little raise in pay, and they're happy as a clam.

But those people aren't getting top dollar or millions of dollars, or are in the most important position in the company, similar to quarterback in the NFL.

Just saying that what people say and what they really think aren't always the same...

I actually never thought of that recognition angle. But it makes sense. I never once considered it. But since you brought it up I can see where it's applied in the workplace.

visionary

Reaction score
The problem with Seattle is that they whiff on every draft and have a horrible head coach and management. It has nothing to do with Russ' contract.

Since 2013, the Seahawks have only made 4 first-round draft picks - Ifedi, LJ Collier, Rashaad Penny and Jordyn Brooks. There's your problem right there.

The same “horrible HC” who drafted their great QB, took the team to 2 SBs and win one? That horrible HC?

no, it’s all about what happens when you lay your QB 35 million and were about to pay a lesser QB 40 million

DFWJC

Reaction score
Well we have 4 remaining teams in the NFC. All four have a high paid QB. So one of them have to at least reach the SB.

This year Brees and Rodgers only amount to 10-11% of the cap. Not too bad. Or at least not crippling. Both will be bad next year.

Brady and Goff are at 13 - 14%. The Rams can't afford to be paying Goff that kind of money if they want to be a contender.
Russell was the most expensive....and WAY more expensive than a couple of them...especially given the cap hit.

Almost all of the QBs are very reasonable deals right now.

Goff is the only one that isn't earning his pay....imo

T2020 cap hit for each of the remaining QBs:

• Jackson 2.58 (still on rookie deal)
  • Mahomes 5.3 mil (numbers start climbing next year , but still only 21.7)
  • Josh Allen 5.87 (rookie deal)
  • Baker Mayfield 9.0 (rookie deal)
  • Rodgers 21.6
  • Brees 23.6
  • Brady 26.3
  • Goff 28.8
Because it will not be an extension, but instead a new deal, our QB will have a cap hit next year of either 37.5 (is franchised) or 40 (assuming the request is about a 40 average)

Flamma

Reaction score
Russell was the most expensive....and WAY more expensive than a couple of them...especially given the cap hit.

Almost all of the QBs are very reasonable deals right now.

Goff is the only one that isn't earning his pay....imo

T2020 cap hit for each of the remaining QBs:

• Jackson 2.58 (still on rookie deal)
  • Mahomes 5.3 mil (numbers start climbing next year , but still only 21.7)
  • Josh Allen 5.87 (rookie deal)
  • Baker Mayfield 9.0 (rookie deal)
  • Rodgers 21.6
  • Brees 23.6
  • Brady 26.3
  • Goff 28.8
Because it will not be an extension, but instead a new deal, our QB will have a cap hit next year of either 37.5 (is franchised) or 40 (assuming the request is about a 40 average)

A couple of things. You probably already know the first. Mahomes is still on his rookie deal. The second is if Dak gets signed his first year cap hit will probably be low. Then gradually rise, or spike depending on how low the first year is. They do this with the expectation that the cap will keep up.

But yeah, besides Goff, the cap hit for the rest isn't that bad. Goff isn't even worth half his cap hit. I haven't looked at all of them, but next year Rodgers cap hit won't be so friendly.

DFWJC

Reaction score
A couple of things. You probably already know the first. Mahomes is still on his rookie deal. The second is if Dak gets signed his first year cap hit will probably be low. Then gradually rise, or spike depending on how low the first year is. They do this with the expectation that the cap will keep up.

But yeah, besides Goff, the cap hit for the rest isn't that bad. Goff isn't even worth half his cap hit. I haven't looked at all of them, but next year Rodgers cap hit won't be so friendly.
Because it is a new deal and not an extension, Dak's first-year cap hit will probably be in the 37-40 range.
There is no avoiding it....especially if it's a 4 year vs 5 or 6-year deal. Nowhere to spread it out.

Yes, it will get tougher cap-wise for many of those teams next year. Rodgers' goes up to 36.5, and then there are all the rookie deals nearing a close.
I was just relating to their success in 2020 bs their QB cap hit.

Turk

Reaction score
No, he's not.

He is elite; top 5.

Now great?

Brady is great; Maybe Brees but I am not sure maybe just a step below. Rodgers is great
Mahones probably is but give him another couple of years.

Wilson is right on the edge.

You diss him for personal reasons; means nothing as far as his actual ability is concerned

kskboys

Reaction score
He is elite; top 5.

Now great?

Brady is great; Maybe Brees but I am not sure maybe just a step below. Rodgers is great
Mahones probably is but give him another couple of years.

Wilson is right on the edge.

You diss him for personal reasons; means nothing as far as his actual ability is concerned
Personal reasons? What in hades are you talking about?

Great and elite are pretty much the same.

Clarify, you're not making sense.

Flamma

Reaction score
Because it is a new deal and not an extension, Dak's first-year cap hit will probably be in the 37-40 range.
There is no avoiding it....especially if it's a 4 year vs 5 or 6-year deal. Nowhere to spread it out.

To simplify it, let's say 4 years 160 million with 100 million guaranteed. So 25, 35, 40, and 60. The guaranteed money will end after 3 years at which point they will restructure that final year if they choose to extend him further. He's not seeing that final year. That's what they did with Wilson.

Turk

Reaction score

Wow you really do not understand much about football do you?

DFWJC

Reaction score
To simplify it, let's say 4 years 160 million with 100 million guaranteed. So 25, 35, 40, and 60. The guaranteed money will end after 3 years at which point they will restructure that final year if they choose to extend him further. He's not seeing that final year. That's what they did with Wilson.
I hear you, but like I said, Russell's was a 4 year extension with one year left on his previous deal.
He had more flex to spread out the cap hit over 5 years.
Even then, the first year of his actual extension (1st year of the 4 year extension, not last year of previous deal adjusted) saw a 31 mil cap hit....and that was with the extra flexibility.

Oh well, I guess we'll see where it ends up.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

What are you talking about with the words great and elite.

Don't you know players are either elite or they suck? There's no other way to judge them. Wilson won a SB so he's elite, Dak has not so he sucks.

It's as simple as that, you need to learn proper terminology.:rolleyes:

Flamma

Reaction score
I hear you, but like I said, Russell's was a 4 year extension with one year left on his previous deal.
He had more flex to spread out the cap hit over 5 years.
Even then, the first year of his actual extension (1st year of the 4 year extension, not last year of previous deal adjusted) saw a 31 mil cap hit....and that was with the extra flexibility.

Oh well, I guess we'll see where it ends up.

You know what? TBH, if Dallas decides to pay Dak, the biggest cap hit of the first 3 years should be 2021. Forget the 4th year. Like I said, that year is insignificant. Focus on the first 3. Dallas isn't doing squat next year. That's the year Dak should be the highest cap hit of the three years. Do you think Jerry considers this?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The same “horrible HC” who drafted their great QB, took the team to 2 SBs and win one? That horrible HC?

no, it’s all about what happens when you lay your QB 35 million and were about to pay a lesser QB 40 million
Pete Carroll is a terrible coach.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
then refute the facts of what he has actually achieved

your opinion is meaningless in the face of facts
The facts are that Pete Carroll has been bailed out by Russ for the last 3-4 years.

He was a good coach 8 years ago. He's not anymore. The game has entirely surpassed him. The guy still thinks that running the ball is the most important thing you can do, which makes him a bad coach.

visionary

Reaction score
The facts are that Pete Carroll has been bailed out by Russ for the last 3-4 years.

He was a good coach 8 years ago. He's not anymore. The game has entirely surpassed him. The guy still thinks that running the ball is the most important thing you can do, which makes him a bad coach.

yes, Wilson drafted and developed himself

also, the running game is still very important which is why every single DC and great defensive player says their FIRST PRIORITY is to stop the run

and can you enumerate all the recent first round picks Carroll has spent on RBs?

please just stop it

Carroll is a great HC

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
yes, Wilson drafted and developed himself

also, the running game is still very important which is why every single DC and great defensive player says their FIRST PRIORITY is to stop the run

and can you enumerate all the recent first round picks Carroll has spent on RBs?

please just stop it

Carroll is a great HC
The run game is not important.

Rashaad Penny.

Brandon Staley's #1 priority is stopping big pass plays.

It's 2020, welcome.

I have absolutely no idea why you'd mention drafting with Carroll. Sure, they lucked into Wilson late, but they're probably the worst drafting team in football. It's hilariously bad. They haven't hit on a first-round pick since 2010 lol

DFWJC

Reaction score
You know what? TBH, if Dallas decides to pay Dak, the biggest cap hit of the first 3 years should be 2021. Forget the 4th year. Like I said, that year is insignificant. Focus on the first 3. Dallas isn't doing squat next year. That's the year Dak should be the highest cap hit of the three years. Do you think Jerry considers this?
Yeah, If we assume they will not do a deal before the 2021 season and he goes the franchise tag route again that 37.5 hit will be pretty brutal.

kskboys

Reaction score
Wow you really do not understand much about football do you?
And you respond w/ a lame insult? C'mooooon, dude, be an adult and tell me what you mean.

If anything, elite signifies a better player than great. They are pretty close to the same thing.

Are you like some kid I'm talking to? I mean, that's OK, but that would explain your very odd responses.

kskboys

Reaction score

Then explain to me why the best teams in the NFL are spending 1st rounders on the run game.

Why do you believe this smegma about the running game? It's been proven blatantly false, and yet you're still screaming it every chance you get.