Hey Theebs: Maybe this is a clue.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
The other day we had a thread on here about the RB situation and how it seemed weird that the Cowboys would choose to continue to use a banged up MBIII over Choice who was completely healthy.

Theebs wasn't buying into the politics of it. I think there is some part of the staff looking to keep MBIII as the lead back because of his contract status and because of what he's done in the past.

Over the last few days I have been thinking about this and asking around about how the Cowboys view Tashard Choice. All I have gotten back was that they think he's a starter on most teams in this league and that they are happy to have him.

So that got me to thinking about Romo and what he thinks of Tashard Choice. And also what Choice thinks of Romo in return.

I do remember right after Terrell Owens was released Tashard had some strange, not bad but strange, comments about Romo...

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/nfl/2009/04/tashard-choice-on-to-ill-miss.html

The second-year running back from Georgia Tech suggested Thursday the jury is still out on whether quarterback Tony Romo and tight end Jason Witten orchestrated the release of Terrell Owens.

Asked if he thought Romo and Witten might have played a role in Owens' departure last month, Choice said in a phone interview, "You never know. We don't really know the whole situation behind it. But it shocked everybody. When (Owens) called me, I was shocked. The players wanted him to stay."
-----------------------------------

I had always thought those comments were for behind closed doors. You just saw Terrell Owens cut from the team because his relationship with Romo was hurting the team so I had to wonder why in the world Choice would want to say these things to Tom Orsborn.

Ok, back to the question of why Choice wasn't used more.

Theebs had said that he just thought it was something that we didn't know about. Was it his blitz pickup or something like that? Did the coaches not think as highly of him as we fans do? Or maybe it's just that Romo doesn't trust him as much as he does Marion Barber?

Today the NFL Replay of the Cowboys-Giants second game of 2009 was on and I had gone back and forth checking on while watching some other stuff.

This one particular play stood out to me...

[youtube]IwSRPI8sF9A[/youtube]

I know I should not have left the Folk miss in there because it brings back horrible memories, but it was important to the point. The Cowboys got nothing out of that drive.

So as the Cowboys are lining up and getting ready to snap the ball you see Romo and Choice have an exchange. Then you see the play develop and it seems Choice was doing his own thing. The play was designed for Choice to settle in the flat and hopefully match him up one on one with Osi. You would hope he could make a move after catching the swing pass and get the seven yards needed for the first down.

But Choice seems to want to run by Osi and catch the pass near the sideline in between Osi and the Safety who's coming over to cover that deep half.

Not on the same page. And you see Choice venting his frustration that the pass didn't come over the top of Osi. I can see his point that if the pass had come to that area it may have been for a big play, but you can't play that way because more often than not it gets you in trouble.

Romo was sticking to the plan. Well, what I think was the plan. This could also been yet another situation where it's an option route and they just didn't read the same thing.

If that's the case maybe it's more evidence of why Barber is on the field more than Choice. Maybe Barber and Romo are always on the same page. And maybe most of the time Choice and Romo aren't.

Slow times so I just thought I would throw this up for discussion.

And I think most would agree that Theebs has a great feel for this team so I hope we can get his opinion on this.

Primetime42

Reaction score
Eh, if this happened more often, I could buy into it.

I'm sure Romo trusts Barber more, but that's just familiarity. I think it's more the other thing you said - probably an option route. You're right, Choice had a shot to make a move on Osi.

It happens. Don't think Choice is harboring a grudge over the TO thing either, even though we all know that was his boy.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I think you're reading a bit too far into it, and I think Barber saw the field more because he's better.

But we'll see how things develop this season. If Barber in the first two games healthy is any indication of how he can play all season long, then I say bring it on. He looked incredible against the Giants until he tore his hammy.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Primetime42;3432328 said:
Eh, if this happened more often, I could buy into it.

I'm sure Romo trusts Barber more, but that's just familiarity. I think it's more the other thing you said - probably an option route. You're right, Choice had a shot to make a move on Osi.

It happens. Don't think Choice is harboring a grudge over the TO thing either, even though we all know that was his boy.

I don't think they have a bad relationship now. Biut I think Choice was all about T.O. while he was a Cowboy. And I do know that on the day last summer that T.O. tweeted it was Romo and Garrett were the ones who ran him out of town Tashard was chilling with him.

I think more of my point was about Romo just being more in tune with Barber and how he adjusts to things on the field. He's more trusting that when a quick decision has to be made that he and Barber will be thinking alike.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;3432330 said:
I think you're reading a bit too far into it, and I think Barber saw the field more because he's better.

But we'll see how things develop this season. If Barber in the first two games healthy is any indication of how he can play all season long, then I say bring it on. He looked incredible against the Giants until he tore his hammy.

Yeah, all the reports say Barber took this off time to get his body in top shape and show the team he's ready to fight to keep his role as the #1 RB.

That's a great sign.

Primetime42

Reaction score
dcfanatic;3432337 said:
I don't think they have a bad relationship now. Biut I think Choice was all about T.O. while he was a Cowboy. And I do know that on the day last summer that T.O. tweeted it was Romo and Garrett were the ones who ran him out of town Tashard was chilling with him.

I think more of my point was about Romo just being more in tune with Barber and how he adjusts to things on the field. He's more trusting that when a quick decision has to be made that he and Barber will be thinking alike.
I get you.

And again, I just feel that comes from the familiarity. Romo's built up a repoire with Barber over 5 years. He knows the guy will usually make the right move for him when he needs it.

Same with Miles and (especially) the same with Witten.

I'd say Choice could reach that level over a few more years, but I figure by the time he would, his contract will be up and he'll be going elsewhere.

But that's what the practices are for.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
I can see that. The swing pass was a bad call in that situation, imo. But your point about Choice looking on a page of his own is well taken.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Choice is a team player, no doubt, but he shouldn't have left the Romo and Witten conspiracy theory open like that. He should've just said 'No they had nothing to do with it.'

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;3432342 said:
Choice is a team player, no doubt, but he shouldn't have left the Romo and Witten conspiracy theory open like that. He should've just said 'No they had nothing to do with it.'

Personally, if that were the case I have even more respect for Romo and Witten than before... if that's even possible.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
I think he is a dead man if he catches that ball. Anyway we will never ever know why they stayed with Barber no matter how many conspiracy theories is posted by us in the "no know".

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;3432342 said:

It would have been more proper to say, "I won't speculate," and leave it at that.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
I’ve been having some serious football withdrawals so i have been rewatching the whole season. The first Washington game i saw Romo getting after Austin for not running the route properly. He was off the mark with Witten many times in this game. And obviously with Roy Williams. But when you watch about 5 or 6 games nonstop, you come away with a common theme. Romo has had moments with different players where they were not on the same page for whatever reasons. Choice was no different. In the Atlanta game, Romo and Choice are head-butting each other after a catch over the middle in celebration (Bennett ran the wrong route on that play). I think Romo likes and has trust in Choice. I know my opinion wasn’t asked, but im bored too, so thats mine.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
dcfanatic;3432339 said:
Yeah, all the reports say Barber took this off time to get his body in top shape and show the team he's ready to fight to keep his role as the #1 RB.

That's a great sign.

Rest is just as important as monster workouts, which we all know Barber is known for in the offseason.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3432355 said:
I’ve been having some serious football withdrawals so i have been rewatching the whole season. The first Washington game i saw Romo getting after Austin for not running the route properly. He was off the mark with Witten many times in this game. And obviously with Roy Williams. But when you watch about 5 or 6 games nonstop, you come away with a common theme. Romo has had moments with different players where they were not on the same page for whatever reasons. Choice was no different. In the Atlanta game, Romo and Choice are head-butting each other after a catch over the middle in celebration (Bennett ran the wrong route on that play). I think Romo likes and has trust in Choice. I know my opinion wasn’t asked, but im bored too, so thats mine.

...wait, you mean even NFL players have off-days?
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

yimyammer

Reaction score
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165612&highlight=choice+romo+plane

On a plane with Tashard Choice in front of me...Pic #146
Pretty cool.

I didn't even realize it was him until he got offended when a lady and i were dissing TO.....he turned around and said, "Hey, don't talk about my friend like that?".

I was like, oh sorry....lol.

Then he said he was also a former teammate of his last year...then I figured it out pretty quick.

I told him his mic'd up was pretty sweet and he laughed. He got a kick out of me saying that his "woo" as he turned the corner was funny!

Anyway, just though i would share...

Originally Posted by Ken
I really just didn't expect someone like him to be in coach with us.

When he first said he was teamates with TO last year, I said, wait a minute, who are you? He said,"If you don't know who I am, then you aren't a cowboys fan. "

I immediately figured it out and he smiled.

He said Witten is the man, Tony is *gave the wishy washy sign of his hand*. I was a bit surprised by that.

I will try and get some more from him when he wakes up as we are about to land.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I dont know dc.

I think we honestly just dont know what the issue is.

Tony did seem more vocal with alot of players last year. I dont think its tony keeping choice off the field, but choice has said some odd things about him.

I always hold the belief that players on a team should always publically support the qb, so for a third string running back to say sketchy things about him, I find that to be bush league stuff. If I were in the locker room and played offense and found out he said some of that stuff, i would take him a side and straighten him out.

Choice was all fired up and barking at the eagles players in the wild card game, romo repeatedly went over to tell him to stop, choice didnt seem to care.

so maybe choice just doesnt like romo. I am sure someday if choice is on another team he will say some crap about Tony because it seems like he was a owens guy from day 1. Which makes sense, all of owens allies are low round draft picks and young guys, the veterans know better.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;3432411 said:
I dont know dc.

I think we honestly just dont know what the issue is.

Tony did seem more vocal with alot of players last year. I dont think its tony keeping choice off the field, but choice has said some odd things about him.

I always hold the belief that players on a team should always publically support the qb, so for a third string running back to say sketchy things about him, I find that to be bush league stuff. If I were in the locker room and played offense and found out he said some of that stuff, i would take him a side and straighten him out.

Choice was all fired up and barking at the eagles players in the wild card game, romo repeatedly went over to tell him to stop, choice didnt seem to care.

so maybe choice just doesnt like romo. I am sure someday if choice is on another team he will say some crap about Tony because it seems like he was a owens guy from day 1. Which makes sense, all of owens allies are low round draft picks and young guys, the veterans know better.
really? why would Romo tell him to stop?

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Rampage;3432424 said:
really? why would Romo tell him to stop?

Saw Brooking doing the same thing. How dare these guys get fired up!

Not buying the Romo vs Choice stuff. And honestly, i don’t think Romo cares. He will get someone the ball if he can make plays.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3432425 said:
Saw Brooking doing the same thing. How dare these guys get fired up!

Not buying the Romo vs Choice stuff. And honestly, i don’t think Romo cares. He will get someone the ball if he can make plays.
yeah, Keith! tell them to hit em in there mouth and step on there throats!......but don't yell at them:confused: :laugh2: