Hey Theebs: Maybe this is a clue.

Primetime42

Reaction score
theebs;3432411 said:
I dont know dc.

I think we honestly just dont know what the issue is.

Tony did seem more vocal with alot of players last year. I dont think its tony keeping choice off the field, but choice has said some odd things about him.

I always hold the belief that players on a team should always publically support the qb, so for a third string running back to say sketchy things about him, I find that to be bush league stuff. If I were in the locker room and played offense and found out he said some of that stuff, i would take him a side and straighten him out.

Choice was all fired up and barking at the eagles players in the wild card game, romo repeatedly went over to tell him to stop, choice didnt seem to care.

so maybe choice just doesnt like romo. I am sure someday if choice is on another team he will say some crap about Tony because it seems like he was a owens guy from day 1. Which makes sense, all of owens allies are low round draft picks and young guys, the veterans know better.
Not for nothing, those guys also always seem to come from the south.

Crayton, Choice, Hurd, et al.

These guys can just relate to each other. No big.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
[youtube]QoSIFiExA9A&hl[/youtube]

Just an example. On this play Choice makes a great catch over the middle. After the play on the sidelines you see Choice and Romo head butting, doesn’t look like two guys that don’t get along or lack trust in each other. Also, you see Choice firing up other teammates.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3432425 said:
Saw Brooking doing the same thing. How dare these guys get fired up!

Not buying the Romo vs Choice stuff. And honestly, i don’t think Romo cares. He will get someone the ball if he can make plays.

Everlastingxxx;3432445 said:

Just an example. On this play Choice makes a great catch over the middle. After the play on the sidelines you see Choice and Romo head butting, doesn’t look like two guys that don’t get along or lack trust in each other. Also, you see Choice firing up other teammates.

Dont twist what I said, thanks.

I dont think romo dislikes choice by any stretch.

and romo was telling to choice to stop barking at the eagles in that game I would be willing to bet because he didnt want him to get a penalty, which affects the team and the game.

I didnt say nor intend romo tells choice to stop motivating the team, not by any stretch.

But having said that, I have never once heard of romo saying anything but positives about tashard choice, on the flip side we have seen a handful of times where choice has shown a lack of support for romo.

doesnt mean anything.

and back to the original topic and you twisting it, its not about romo and choice. Its about the staff not trusting choice or believing in him as much as barber. And we know that is evident because barber gets the carries.

and not a single person that posts here knows the answer to that, we all have our own viewpoint of it and we are all probably wrong.

GOLDENCHILD1688

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3432355 said:
I’ve been having some serious football withdrawals so i have been rewatching the whole season. The first Washington game i saw Romo getting after Austin for not running the route properly. He was off the mark with Witten many times in this game. And obviously with Roy Williams. But when you watch about 5 or 6 games nonstop, you come away with a common theme. Romo has had moments with different players where they were not on the same page for whatever reasons. Choice was no different. In the Atlanta game, Romo and Choice are head-butting each other after a catch over the middle in celebration (Bennett ran the wrong route on that play). I think Romo likes and has trust in Choice. I know my opinion wasn’t asked, but im bored too, so thats mine.
co-sign, close thread

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Not twisting anything. No need to get on the defensive. The topic is not life-threatening.

You said:

“Choice was all fired up and barking at the eagles players in the wild card game, romo repeatedly went over to tell him to stop, choice didnt seem to care."

Makes it sound like Choice has no respect for Tony or authority. I don’t buy that. Choice is probably a faithful friend, hence the TO stuff. Nothing wrong with that.

Then you said:

“so maybe choice just doesnt like romo.”

I don’t believe that either. Choice seems like the kindof person that likes everyone.

theebs;3432453 said:
Its about the staff not trusting choice or believing in him as much as barber. And we know that is evident because barber gets the carries.

I don’t buy that either. Proof is Barber is the veteran making a ton of money. Choice is the insurance policy.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3432460 said:
Not twisting anything. No need to get on the defensive. The topic is not life-threatening.

You said:

“Choice was all fired up and barking at the eagles players in the wild card game, romo repeatedly went over to tell him to stop, choice didnt seem to care."

Makes it sound like Choice has no respect for Tony or authority. I don’t buy that. Choice is probably a faithful friend, hence the TO stuff. Nothing wrong with that.

Then you said:

“so maybe choice just doesnt like romo.”

I don’t believe that either. Choice seems like the kindof person that likes everyone.

I don’t buy that either. Proof is Barber is the veteran making a ton of money. Choice is the insurance policy.

omg, no respect for authority or romo.

Geesh, I was talking about 1 moment of one game, I didnt say romo always yells at choice and choice doesnt care. I said one specific game, the eagles wild card game, he was barking at the eagles sideline and getting into it with samuels seemingly most of the day, romo told him to stop or pulled him away a number of times.

as I said I imagine it was about not getting a penalty, and choice continued to bark.

Dont twist it.

and that is your opinion, you think he plays because he is paid more, I have a different opinion. And I would bet my house we are both probably wrong.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Choice couldn't hear what Romo was yelling out at the LOS. Duh.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
theebs;3432466 said:
omg, no respect for authority or romo.

Geesh, I was talking about 1 moment of one game, I didnt say romo always yells at choice and choice doesnt care. I said one specific game, the eagles wild card game, he was barking at the eagles sideline and getting into it with samuels seemingly most of the day, romo told him to stop or pulled him away a number of times.

as I said I imagine it was about not getting a penalty, and choice continued to bark.

Dont twist it.

and that is your opinion, you think he plays because he is paid more, I have a different opinion. And I would bet my house we are both probably wrong.

LOL, not twisting anything! You used that example then said “so maybe choice just doesnt like romo.” How am i suppose to interpret that comment? An offensive player not liking the starting QB is a pretty big deal, ask Owens.

Barber plays because is a great all-around running back. That’s why he plays. Why does Choice not play more? He has two great running backs in front of him. And one of them makes elite money. Not rocket-science. If it were not for those two players, Choice would be the featured back and the Cowboys would be thrilled. See 2008.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3432445 said:

That's interesting, because on that play he was clearly supposed to run his route upfield and it worked out well. But I still don't think that was the intended route on the swing play.

Everyone miscomunicates sometimes. I really like TC as much as Barber. I just think Barber is the go-to guy early on in the season, and you let the other guys start taking over later on.

I just hope we never get in a situation where 2 backs are injured at the same time.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
why we use MBIII is clear. He's the best pass blocking RB we have ...he really gets that part of the game. not that hard to figure out here. it isn't his contract we are protecting .. it is Romo's

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AbeBeta;3432493 said:
why we use MBIII is clear. He's the best pass blocking RB we have ...he really gets that part of the game. not that hard to figure out here. it isn't his contract we are protecting .. it is Romo's
If this is true, then it makes for odd substitution packages. If you look at the games toward the end of the season, we would almost exclusively substitute in Choice during obvious passing downs (he probably had 80+% of the snaps in those situations).

There's no real discernible pattern to playing Barber and Felix (as far as I can tell), but when it came time for a passing down, we would send in Choice.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There was a poster in here who claimed to have met TC on a plane last offseason who said he'd asked Choice point blank about Romo and that TC had basically said 'meh.'

Personally, I think TC is a good guy who was loyal to his friend Owens in picking sides on '08, but is smart enough to know not to cross Romo and who doesn't have a personal axe to grind with Tony, anyway. If TC's not playing much, there's no need to look farther than the fact that the backs in front of him are just both better than he is.

And Barber's enough better that even playing with a significant injury it's a toss-up on whom to play. Personally, I think the coaches erred last year in not resting Barber and playing Choice, but with Felix hurt and in a situation where any one of those six games could have meant no return trip to the playoffs, I hardly blame them for sticking with the guy who got them there in the first place.

brendang86

Reaction score
a lot have people have been talking about this ever since it came out that barber had a torn quad or w/e for pretty much the whole season.

Idk why we didnt play choice more but i have a feeling it has something to do with barber not being completely honest about the extent of his injury and imo that kind of behavior kinda goes along with his personality... super competitive, shy, a little cocky, so maybe he was a little too proud to say he was injured.

I've also heard people say that he could have been worried about losing his job to TC if he sat out but personally i dont think thats it. I think he just didnt want to sit out.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Idgit;3432503 said:
If TC's not playing much, there's no need to look farther than the fact that the backs in front of him are just both better than he is.

And Barber's enough better that even playing with a significant injury it's a toss-up on whom to play.

I don't see where an injured Barber is 'enough better'.

Personally, I think the coaches erred last year in not resting Barber, I think the coaches erred in not resting Barber and playing Choice, but with Felix hurt and in a situation where any one of those six games could have meant no return trip to the playoffs, I hardly blame them for sticking with the guy who got them there in the first place.

I agree with you, I think the coaches erred but I do blame them.

Choice has done nothing but produce since he's been here. And to me, he's the most complete back on the roster. What's the point of bragging about your 3-headed monster at running back when you won't use them, even when you need to?

I see nothing but production every time the guys gets a chance. And I have yet to see evidence of him 'struggling in pass protection'.

I see a guy who very seldom gets caught for negative yardage and one who makes big plays in the passing game. Take the video in this thread, when was the last time anyone has seen either Jones or Barber make a downfield reception like Choice did?

I can't recall any.

Just another area where the guy just produces.

And this isn't anti-Barber, this is pro-Choice.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Barber should have been sat down. That was a coaching screw up. But this staff has shown REPEATEDLY that it will play the vet no matter what unless the vet cannot play at all. Barber is not better then choice in anything except pass blocking and the gap is not that big there.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
PhillyCowboysFan;3432347 said:
I think he is a dead man if he catches that ball. Anyway we will never ever know why they stayed with Barber no matter how many conspiracy theories is posted by us in the "no know".
Agreed. I don't see where he has a sure fire first down at all. It was not the sharpest call I've ever seen. The play had no chance to develop and was designed specifically for Choice. Umenyiora had great position regardless.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
stasheroo;3432535 said:
I don't see where an injured Barber is 'enough better'.

I agree with you, I think the coaches erred but I do blame them.

Choice has done nothing but produce since he's been here. And to me, he's the most complete back on the roster. What's the point of bragging about your 3-headed monster at running back when you won't use them, even when you need to?

I disagree about Choice being the most complete. He is still a little slow on the uptake in some regards. I think he mentally wanders off some times, like he appeared to do here.

My biggest point of contention with the staff was that he was not run more often to simply lighten Barber's workload somewhat. Why utilize a beaten up Barber to get the tough yards as much? Simply carrying the football is not nearly as mentally challenging and should have little to do with the coaches level of trust in his ability to pass protect.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
brendang86;3432517 said:
a lot have people have been talking about this ever since it came out that barber had a torn quad or w/e for pretty much the whole season.

Idk why we didnt play choice more but i have a feeling it has something to do with barber not being completely honest about the extent of his injury and imo that kind of behavior kinda goes along with his personality... super competitive, shy, a little cocky, so maybe he was a little too proud to say he was injured.

I've also heard people say that he could have been worried about losing his job to TC if he sat out but personally i dont think thats it. I think he just didnt want to sit out.

The Cowboys took MRI's. They knew every detail.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I don't understand this deep-seated interest in our running backs.

They are a threesome who can get the job done without question and have roles WITHOUT question.

Choice was always seen as the heir apparent to Barber in a short yardage role and as he has played well he has gotten more time than a normal 3rd back would. But he is still the 3rd back for now.

Barber obviously showed the team a lot by playing hurt pretty much all last year.

When healthy Barber is clearly the best blocker and short yardage guy on the team. He wasn't necessarily the best anything last year while hurt but he did protect the other guys from overuse. Felix is electric and Tashard has uncanny vision but neither guy is Emmitt Smith. That is to say, they both take contact fairly often. And neither are big boys. If any Cowboys fan really likes either guy the key for them is to keep Barber around to lessen their load and lengthen their careers. The Boys can't pay them all as the youngsters hit free agency so things will change but that doesn't mean the change will be for the better.

Sit back and enjoy.

This isn't kicker where we have no one.