Hey Theebs: Maybe this is a clue.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SilverStarCowboy;3432754 said:
Seen Choice take on harder hits than Barber....it looked painful.

And I - along with the rest of the free world - have seen much worse from Barber. There's a reason he's had so many injuries. I love his heart and determination but you have to be smart about it too.

That is what the media led confusion and casual minded conjecture says but what they are usually referring to is Barber handing out more punishment than he recieves like that is a bad thing.

I know plenty of people - including two Hall of Fame running backs who will disagree with you.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
theebs;3432411 said:
so maybe choice just doesnt like romo.

I tweeted, twatted Choice last night:

“@tchoice23 Hey Choice, what do you think about Romo? Do you like him? There was a story about you saying he was wishy washy. Thank you!”

His response:

“@Everlastingxxx don't believe that I ride with everybody on the team and we stick up for each other”

For what it’s worth. I think Choice is an extremely high character guy (not saying anyone thinks he is not).

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3432775 said:

“@tchoice23 Hey Choice, what do you think about Romo? Do you like him? There was a story about you saying he was wishy washy. Thank you!”

His response:

“@Everlastingxxx don't believe that I ride with everybody on the team and we stick up for each other”

For what it’s worth. I think Choice is an extremely high character guy (not saying anyone thinks he is not).

good grief.

will you stop making it seem like I dont like the guy or think he is some sort of problem.

enough already, I am sorry I even ever expressed an opinion on this topic.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
theebs;3432778 said:
good grief.

will you stop making it seem like I dont like the guy or think he is some sort of problem.

enough already, I am sorry I even ever expressed an opinion on this topic.

It’s cool. I’ll stop. You are being very defensive.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
stasheroo;3432764 said:
And I - along with the rest of the free world - have seen much worse from Barber. There's a reason he's had so many injuries. I love his heart and determination but you have to be smart about it too.

Barbers' injuries aren't concussion/impact from tacklers, for instance his quad injury did not happen from direct punishment.

I know plenty of people - including two Hall of Fame running backs who will disagree with you.

NFL Players don't always make the best Analyst.

Observing Barber who runs eyes wide open, deliberately takes and handouts punishment but doles out far less of an impact physically to himself.

As opposed to RBs who close their eyes and shoot the gut, contrastly that kind of play equals the shortened career that some "Professionals" are reffering.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3432780 said:
It’s cool. I’ll stop. You are being very defensive.

yeah because you keep coming back quoting me and then implying I dont like the guy or think he is a problem and I have never said that.

give me a break with this. Everything I have ever said about this topic is about how the coaches view the players, you keep responding to me like I think there is a problem with the players.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;3432755 said:
Look at the last 6 games of the season. For example, in the Saints game, there were 15 obvious passing downs and Choice was in on 10 of them (Felix got 3 and Barber got 2). In the Commanders game there were 9 obvious passing downs and Choice was in on 6 of them (Barber had 2 and Felix got 1).

The trend in those games is that Barber only gets the nod when it's an obvious passing down on 2nd down (e.g., 2nd and 20).

Like I said, I don't see a trend at all. In the Saints game, Choice was pass blocking a considerable amount of the time. Why is that? Likely b/c Barber had 18 touches, many of them early in the game. Barber was getting a blow b/c he was playing a little more than usual. Washington is a similar story. MBIII is getting a bunch of touches .. 21 and playing over 40 snaps.

Compare that to week 17. Barber only has 15 touches ... and Choice sees the field for only a handful of snaps.

What I see here is that Choice is the #2 option as a pass blocking RB. When we do sub for Barber it is usually in games where he is being used a lot and we choose to give him a blow in those passing situations.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
theebs;3432783 said:
yeah because you keep coming back quoting me and then implying I dont like the guy or think he is a problem and I have never said that.

give me a break with this. Everything I have ever said about this topic is about how the coaches view the players, you keep responding to me like I think there is a problem with the players.

Not implying anything. Your words, not mine. Like i said, i am done trying to have fun with the topic. You are being defensive. I’m done.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3432785 said:
Not implying anything. Your words, not mine. Like i said, i am done trying to have fun with the topic. You are being defensive. I’m done.

had to throw that in there right. If your done trying to cause a problem why throw that in there? Just to be a rick with a p.

still trying to imply I dont like him or there is a problem with them, when I have repeatedly said I dont think that.

so bye dude.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
theebs;3432789 said:
had to throw that in there right. If your done trying to cause a problem why throw that in there? Just to be a rick with a p.

still trying to imply I dont like him or there is a problem with them, when I have repeatedly said I dont think that.

so bye dude.

Throw what in there? Sorry dude i have no idea what you are freaking out about. Your words are in the thread. What is said, is said. Don’t get mad at me for that. I was having fun with the topic. My tone has been in a light hearted manner. You are the one having a fit over something. Now you are calling me names and bypassing sensors.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AbeBeta;3432784 said:
Like I said, I don't see a trend at all. In the Saints game, Choice was pass blocking a considerable amount of the time. Why is that? Likely b/c Barber had 18 touches, many of them early in the game. Barber was getting a blow b/c he was playing a little more than usual. Washington is a similar story. MBIII is getting a bunch of touches .. 21 and playing over 40 snaps.

Compare that to week 17. Barber only has 15 touches ... and Choice sees the field for only a handful of snaps.

What I see here is that Choice is the #2 option as a pass blocking RB. When we do sub for Barber it is usually in games where he is being used a lot and we choose to give him a blow in those passing situations.
Barber was in on 6 of 14 obvious passing downs in Week 17.

So, in the last 3 weeks of the regular season, Barber was in on 10 out of 38 (26.3%) obvious passing downs. Almost all of the 10 plays were on second down (meaning, they're less obvious passing downs).

If Barber is clearly in the game more because of his pass blocking skills, those are very odd statistics.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
stasheroo;3432734 said:
Negative.

You're the guy who tried using Choice's lack of 100 yard rushing games as some sort of strike against him. I was using the same benchmark for Barber. And now you don't seem to like that stat quite as much.

Do we really want to start talking injuries when Marion Barber's name is in the discussion?

Choice had a concussion last year? Oh no! Maybe he should retire now while he still can! Is that your point? Heck Bennett got one too. He and anyone else who's ever had one should call it quits right now too by your logic.

Not 'worth' it because your point makes no sense and your case falls apart.

Wow, you say really dumb things.

8>0 by oh about an infinite percent. Nothing from nothing leaves nothing. I don't dislike the stat at all. Barber is AT LEAST 8 times more successful at 100 yard games than Choice.

And it is actually 9 games for Barber if my quick check is correct. Not that it matters as Choice is still 0 at every check.

As to injuries and concussion, how many backs can you name who suffered a concussion then went on after that to be a full-time starter? Has Barber had a concussion?

Has Choice proven he can handle 20 carries two weeks in a row much over a full season?

You have zero points here except that you'd LIKE to see Choice more. That's all of you, pom poms.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell;3432823 said:
Wow, you say really dumb things.

8>0 by oh about an infinite percent. Nothing from nothing leaves nothing. I don't dislike the stat at all. Barber is AT LEAST 8 times more successful at 100 yard games than Choice.

And that's the only stat that matters in your myopic viewpoint I guess, leave out the fact that Barber had 31 starting opportunities and 75 games to get those 8 100 yard games where Choice has all of 3 starts and 32 games in a backfield that now houses both Barber and Felix Jones. But I'm sure we'll leave that part off because it blows your agenda out of the water.

And it is actually 9 games for Barber if my quick check is correct. Not that it matters as Choice is still 0 at every check.

I think you may have a playoff game in there. My numbers are regular season.

As to injuries and concussion, how many backs can you name who suffered a concussion then went on after that to be a full-time starter? Has Barber had a concussion?

That would require some research but I think it's a neglible stat which signifies nothing.

Has Choice proven he can handle 20 carries two weeks in a row much over a full season?

Has he had the chance? My main point is that a healthy Choice was a better option than Barber at less than 100%.

You have zero points here except that you'd LIKE to see Choice more. That's all of you, pom poms.

Could always be worse, at least I'm not making up useless, inapplicable statistics in a desperate attempt to prove that Choice isn't a capable option over a player at less than 100%.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;3432819 said:

So, in the last 3 weeks of the regular season, Barber was in on 10 out of 38 (26.3%) obvious passing downs. Almost all of the 10 plays were on second down (meaning, they're less obvious passing downs).

If Barber is clearly in the game more because of his pass blocking skills, those are very odd statistics.

Great!

You just shot that entire theory right out of the water!

Way to go buzzkill!

Now what are all those people supposed to do?

:confused:

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3432775 said:

His response:

Did you think you were going to get a '**** Tony Romo' as a response?

:laugh2:

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
dcfanatic;3432908 said:

Haha, right!

Hey did Bennett stop doing twitter? Couldn’t find him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;3432819 said:

In Week 17, Barber pass blocked 9 times. Choice is credited with pass blocking once. There is no real Choice substitution pattern there.

Your 26% is a bit of a red herring. Why? For example in week 17, we went 4 wide 4 times. Interestingly, those last 3 weeks that you cite are when we started using Ogletree more. So what we are seeing is a more diverse offense. Not Choice replacing Barber.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
dcfanatic;3432908 said:

Those statements are only found by reading between the lines. Way between the lines..........

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AbeBeta;3432918 said:
In Week 17, Barber pass blocked 9 times. Choice is credited with pass blocking once. There is no real Choice substitution pattern there.

Your 26% is a bit of a red herring. Why? For example in week 17, we went 4 wide 4 times. Interestingly, those last 3 weeks that you cite are when we started using Ogletree more. So what we are seeing is a more diverse offense. Not Choice replacing Barber.
Yes, pointing out that Barber only played 26% of snaps on obvious passing downs is a red herring.

Took a look at the Week 13 Giants game, Barber was in on only 1 of 11 obvious passing downs (Choice had 8 plays and Felix had 3, one of which was while Barber was also on the field). This may not be a pattern to you, but I don't know what else you'd call it. In the Raiders game the split was Choice=8, Barber=3, and Felix=2, out of the 13 obvious passing downs.

So this trend isn't just in the final 3 games. In 5 of the last 6 games (excluding the Chargers game, which I haven't looked at), Barber only had 14 plays out of the 62 obvious passing downs.* That's a mere 22.6% of obvious passing downs. Seems to me if you favored one player over another due to his pass-blocking ability, you'd actually play him more during obvious passing downs.

*Note I'm only looking at obvious passing downs that included a RB in the package. If there was an empty backfield, I didn't count the play.