Hey you football players...!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
While reading "Boys Will Be Boys" (a must read) which I finished awhile back, I came upon this paragraph and wondered what? What does this mean? :confused:

-----

Coming off a wild-card win over Detroit, the 10-7 Packers hardly inspired fear in the hearts of Dallas's players. In the week leading up to the game Dale Hellestrae, the Cowboys' long snapper (and offensive lineman), spent portions of his practices trying to snap footballs into moving cars.

-----

Snapping footballs into moving cars? Anyone know what this means and why he would be trying to do this? Also, where would he do this, by the freeway? I don't get it....

:eek:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
5Stars;2414401 said:
While reading "Boys Will Be Boys" (a must read) which I finished awhile back, I came upon this paragraph and wondered what? What does this mean? :confused:

-----

Coming off a wild-card win over Detroit, the 10-7 Packers hardly inspired fear in the hearts of Dallas's players. In the week leading up to the game Dale Hellestrae, the Cowboys' long snapper (and offensive lineman), spent portions of his practices trying to snap footballs into moving cars.

-----

Snapping footballs into moving cars? Anyone know what this means and why he would be trying to do this? Also, where would he do this, by the freeway? I don't get it....

Probably means he was bored and one of the kickers got in his VW and kept driving back and forth while Hellestrae snapped them through an open window.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
5Stars;2414401 said:
Snapping footballs into moving cars? Also, where would he do this, by the freeway?

It's a hobby he sort of picked up from former Steeler Ernie Holmes.

Sort of.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
5Stars;2414401 said:

-----

-----

the same reason why kobe did this.....[youtube]BIWeEFV59d4[/youtube]

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Rack;2414405 said:
Probably means he was bored and one of the kickers got in his VW and kept driving back and forth while Hellestrae snapped them through an open window.

Oh, ok...so at least I now know that this is not some lame *** football technique that I never heard of. :eek::

By the way...reading this season's articles I find that alot of players are saying that their "technique" is wrong that they are not playing the right "technique" or such things. How in the hell can you win 13 games last season and all of a sudden you lose your "technique"? :rolleyes:

Man, I don't know what is in to me, but, I don't trust this team one bit and I can't pin-point if it's the players or the coaches! YO...fool player! You had your "technique" last year, so what happened to it? Did you lose it in a poker game or what?!!! :mad:

Rudy

Reaction score
Man, that Kobe video is nuts...too bad he seems like a d-bag.

CoCo

Reaction score
5Stars;2414418 said:
Oh, ok...so at least I now know that this is not some lame *** football technique that I never heard of. :eek::

By the way...reading this season's articles I find that alot of players are saying that their "technique" is wrong that they are not playing the right "technique" or such things. How in the hell can you win 13 games last season and all of a sudden you lose your "technique"? :rolleyes:

Man, I don't know what is in to me, but, I don't trust this team one bit and I can't pin-point if it's the players or the coaches! YO...fool player! You had your "technique" last year, so what happened to it? Did you lose it in a poker game or what?!!! :mad:

How do baseball players go through hitting slumps?

How do basketball players go through shooting slumps?

Pick the sport, many pros spend COUNTLESS hours trying to perfect and maintain their technique.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
CoCo;2414574 said:
How do baseball players go through hitting slumps?

How do basketball players go through shooting slumps?

Pick the sport, many pros spend COUNTLESS hours trying to perfect and maintain their technique.

I don't know, Coco...however, unless you have forgotten, these yo-yo's have had a training camp and several games so far, yet they are still talking about not playing the right technique!???:rolleyes:

All that technique talk sounds like a cop out to me! I think they are just getting lazy and not hungry for the big prize!

Twelve pro-bowlers and the rest of the PRO players have not been playing their technique properly? Yeah, ok, whatever...

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5Stars;2414401 said:

-----

-----

If I remember correctly, Hellestrae mentioned he could do it and someone challenged him to do it, so he accepted and then proceeded to do it.

I don't think he made a habit of doing it regularly :)

-Reality

aikemirv

Reaction score
That Kobe video is nuts.

Kellen Winslow takes a ton of grief for doing a stoppie on a motorcycle, Rothlesberger catches grief for riding a motorcycle.

Jumping a moving car coming at you - impressive, but very stupid!

CoCo

Reaction score
5Stars;2414598 said:
I don't know, Coco...however, unless you have forgotten, these yo-yo's have had a training camp and several games so far, yet they are still talking about not playing the right technique!???:rolleyes:

All that technique talk sounds like a cop out to me! I think they are just getting lazy and not hungry for the big prize!

Twelve pro-bowlers and the rest of the PRO players have not been playing their technique properly? Yeah, ok, whatever...

I'm not saying what their underachieving reason is. Make your own choice.

I'm simply saying that professional athletes in general spend tons of time maintaining their skills.

Tiger Woods, clearly the game's best for several years, spends countless hours on the driving range maintaining his skills. Tony Gwynn used to watch video of all his at bats after every game. Neither you nor I would have the eye to recognize what they even see in those videos.

Do you think footwork, balance and pad level make no difference to an o-lineman's performance? Do you think you can pick out when a player is using good technique or not? Knowing it, and executing it are also two different things. For most it takes incredible discipline to maintain technique in the heat of battle. There is FAR more science, preparation, and technique to sport than you are giving credit for IMO.

Again, maybe that is NOT the reason for our poor performances. And frankly, lack of disciplined preparation (lazy?) is an invitation to losing technique. But lost technique is not proof positive of a lazy attitude.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
It's to fine-tune accuracy. The trick is to never snap a ball toward a car driven by the coach.

But none of you here (and i means it) try this at home.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
CoCo;2414652 said:
I'm not saying what their underachieving reason is. Make your own choice.

I'm simply saying that professional athletes in general spend tons of time maintaining their skills.

Tiger Woods, clearly the game's best for several years, spends countless hours on the driving range maintaining his skills. Tony Gwynn used to watch video of all his at bats after every game. Neither you nor I would have the eye to recognize what they even see in those videos.

Do you think footwork, balance and pad level make no difference to an o-lineman's performance? Do you think you can pick out when a player is using good technique or not? Knowing it, and executing it are also two different things. For most it takes incredible discipline to maintain technique in the heat of battle. There is FAR more science, preparation, and technique to sport than you are giving credit for IMO.

Again, maybe that is NOT the reason for our poor performances. And frankly, lack of disciplined preparation (lazy?) is an invitation to losing technique. But lost technique is not proof positive of a lazy attitude.

Funny...how lmany years were the Patriots so good? Four, five, and still pretty damn good. How come their "technique" never got so screwed up?

Thirteen games last year (yeah, yeah, yeah injuries), but for players to come out and say "our technique" - this and that, yeah right? And they call themselves pros? I don't buy it...:rolleyes:

They lead the league in penalties, no dicipline, no desire it seems, no muscle! Yet we have knuckleheads crying about "we aren't playing our technique right"?

I think they are lost and looking for something to blame it on! They kicked butt last year and all of a sudden they could not beat a good College team!

:(

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Rudy;2414422 said:
Man, that Kobe video is nuts...too bad he seems like a d-bag.
it's fake. he wasn't standing in front of the car. he was to the side of it so if he miss-timed his jump he wouldn't get hit.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Rack;2414405 said:

Yep. I thought I remembered reading that he had been challenged to do this cause he said he could so he went out and did it.

Rampage;2414757 said:
it's fake. he wasn't standing in front of the car. he was to the side of it so if he miss-timed his jump he wouldn't get hit.

That's what I thought was the case. I knew there was no way he actually tried to jump over a car moving at him. The chances of screwing up, and getting seriously injured, are simply to high.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Rudy;2414422 said:
Man, that Kobe video is nuts...too bad he is a d-bag.
Fixed...:laugh2:

And he is hardly the first guy to jump over stuff. There are a bunch of videos on youtube of that.