High priced free agents and Gregory contract

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dsturgeon, Feb 19, 2021.

1. dsturgeon

dsturgeon Well-Known Member

1,404 Messages
    1,528 Likes Received
    I am not good with the salary cap, so i want some input.

Gregory is signed for 2021. If he comes out with 13+sacks, which is entirely possible, how much cap space will the cowboys have to sign him and what would they have to pay him?

If they spend money on dak and bring in high priced free agents would there be enough left for Gregory, Gallup, and any other players they need to sign?

Dlaw and Gregory is a good combo. Gregory is still only 28 with little wear on his body

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    john van brocklin and plymkr like this.
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Moderator

82,542 Messages
    60,902 Likes Received
    When was the last time that happened. Many years ago.

Teague31 and cowboyec like this.
  3. dsturgeon

1,404 Messages
    1,528 Likes Received
    That is true, do you think they can sign Gregory? They will bring in free agents

4. JBS

JBS Well-Known Member

16,069 Messages
    11,441 Likes Received
    Let's start with this

13 sacks for Gregory is not entirely possible..it's extremely unlikely

5. dsturgeon

1,404 Messages
    1,528 Likes Received
    I think he gets up there. He didnt get to come back until week 7, and had to get in a rhythm. He will have a full offseason, training camp and a full season. With no worries except to get paid

ChuckA1 likes this.
  6. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

9,390 Messages
    8,901 Likes Received
    I know some people would say he should give the Cowboys and Jerry a hometown discount for sticking with him for so long when other teams would not. Granted it was only due to him smoking weed but others will argue it was illegal for several years in the NFL. Others will say he should not and get every penny due to he could be a play away from a career injury but all players are in that boat. It will be interesting to see what they do when his contract is up.

BigStar likes this.
  7. Irvin88_4life

Irvin88_4life Well-Known Member

19,705 Messages
    22,683 Likes Received
    Gregory owes Jerry big time so even with a 13 sack season he won't get a huge contract

Swagger, dallasdave and SlammedZero like this.
  8. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

10,654 Messages
    9,843 Likes Received
    My hunch is that Gregory is better than you think.
    Above average PFF score of 80.5 coming off a season where he had no training camp and missed first four games.

13 sacks is not likely for any NFL player outside of 2 or 3 guys. The spirit of the OP's question is very valid, and quite possible: what happens if Gregory has a really good season?

nate dizzle, Scotman, JoeKing and 5 others like this.
  9. SlammedZero

SlammedZero Well-Known Member

9,474 Messages
    25,963 Likes Received
    With as much patience as the Cowboys FO has had with Gregory and been by his side since day 1, I would sure hope he would work out a very team friendly deal with this team.

10. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

10,654 Messages
    9,843 Likes Received
    Just so we all are on the same page when evaluating pass rushers:
    Only 3 guys in the entire NFL had 13 or more sacks in 2010. Just 3.

How many guys had double digit sacks? Only 10 guys in the whole league got ten or more.

Sacks have been going down across the league. The ball is coming out faster w/QB's relying on fewer reads.

11. dsturgeon

1,404 Messages
    1,528 Likes Received
    i don't think he came back until week 7

T-RO likes this.
  12. dsturgeon

1,404 Messages
    1,528 Likes Received
    Gregory 2020

3 forced fumbles
    3.5 sacks
    15 solo tackles
    4 tackles for loss
    12 qb hits
    1 pass deflect

played 10 games

13. exciter

exciter Well-Known Member

1,929 Messages
    1,426 Likes Received
    Let’s see him actually make it through the offseason, training camp and a whole season before we start talking about resigning him!

14. DallasDomination

DallasDomination Well-Known Member

11,526 Messages
    5,761 Likes Received
    I wouldn’t trust Gregory to a long term deal..
    That guy is a hired assassin, one year, performance based deals... nothing more.

plymkr likes this.
  15. cowboyec

cowboyec Well-Known Member

24,123 Messages
    28,628 Likes Received
    they don't chase free agents anymore.
    they pay their own.
    but they don't pay big for f/a's.

16. plymkr

plymkr Well-Known Member

4,065 Messages
    5,125 Likes Received
    You're basically asking if he puts in a noticeable all pro year then how much does he get paid.

I'm no expert on the numbers and what we'll have in cap room. But my prediction is we would make him prove he's not a one year wonder by franchising him or signing him to one year deal. This could be doable because by that time cutting Zeke, Jaylon and LVE is saving us money on the cap. My guess is 12-15 million would get it done considering his past unavailability and commitment. So I predict if he had an all pro year this year we could sign him to a one year 7-10 million deal to see if he can maintain it and then 12-15 a year after that. Totally my opinion. Hopefully he plays well enough that this is a real conversation this time next year and not a hypothetical.

17. Mr_437

Mr_437 Well-Known Member

6,895 Messages
    7,013 Likes Received
    I think if RG has a really good season going around the midway point Ole Stephen will slide RG's agent fair offer across the table.

18. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

9,815 Messages
    8,544 Likes Received
    Gregory and Gallup are due for extensions right now. Not after next season. No good GM waits for their player to play out their contract unless they intend to let them go into free agency. You either sign or trade them the year prior to their last season under contract. Otherwise you'll see bigger numbers on the cap hit.

Here's the problem the Cowboys have. Guys up for an extension this year. Gallup, Gregory, Connor Williams, Trysten Hill, Darian Thompson, Armstrong, and Dalton Shultz. That's not to mention if they want to keep Aldon Smith and LVE. They have until May 3rd to decide if they want to pick up his 5th year option. Technically he's up for an extension too. Jerry probably intends to sign Dak. You think Dallas is thinking about high priced free agents? DBs Lewis, Chido, Woods, among other players that have already played out their rookie deals. I don't see any of them coming back. With 20+ million in cap space, this is a mess. I wouldn't want to figure this crap out.

I think most of these guys will be playing their last year with the Cowboys in 2021. Jerry needs to figure out who he thinks isn't easily replaceable, and let the rest walk after 2021.

buybuydandavis likes this.
  19. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

32,420 Messages
    22,788 Likes Received
    Would be nice to see a Quinn/Cobb quality VFA or three

20. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

12,266 Messages
    8,361 Likes Received
    Stephen’s penny-pinching ways have put a stop to Jerry and his habit of signing top end free agents.

Aven8 likes this.