High priced free agents and Gregory contract

Creeper

Reaction score
It is way too early to see what the Cowboys 2022 CAP will look like. We have to see how this offseason plays out. Do they sign Dak? Chido? Lewis? Aldon Smith? So much can happen.

But the question is, what will Gregory be worth if he finishes the season with 13 sacks, and is as disruptive as he was in 2020 for the short time he played. I would say he could get something in the area of the Smiths in Green Bay, which is $16.5 million a year. However, Gregory is a dump truck of baggage he carries with him. If he messes up again he could be suspended permanently. Teams have to factor that into their negotiations. So, if Gregory has a breakout year, I would assume he has no more setbacks with the league. I still think he gets a minimum of $14 million from someone and probably more. He could be a top tier free agent in 2022.

I would hope he does Dallas a favor, but his agent is not going to allow him to play for pennies in Dallas when he can make big bucks somewhere else. I think he owes the Cowboys, but he owes himself and his family more.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I agree with your opinion of the WRs. I just don't think you need 4.2 or 4.3 speed to stretch the field. Regardless of how fast you can run, DBs have speed too. If they want to keep you in front of them, they will no matter how fast you are in the NFL. If they make a mistake and a WR gets past them, it's already over before the DB can recover. Even against a slower player than them. Speeds in the NFL are just not that far apart when concerning fast players.

We'll see what happens. I have a feeling the Cowboys will go the route you think before mine.

Big difference between the 4.5 guys and the 4.3 guys. If the 4.3 guys get past you, you're not going to close on them. If you don't give them cushion, you're humped.

You can play press man against the 4.5 guys, and still close on them if they get by you. That's what we *saw* with Terrance and Dez in 2017. That's what shut down our offense.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Actually shouldn't be a problem come 2022 to resign Gregory with the new TV contracts, streaming services, legalized gambling, etc. the cap is going to rise and fast after 2021 so getting Gregory for a middle contract would be fine. No team is going to pay Gregory top 5 and probably not top 10 money with his history of drug abuse and his next meeting with the commish if it happens means he is gone for a couple of years.

The new TV contracts are the big unknown here. They change everything in evaluating player market value. They really *should* remove that unknown from the bargaining, and denominate player contracts in percentage of cap, but they don't, so all the talk of player value will turn out to be right or wrong based on a huge unknown. But probably a lot *less* unknown for Jerry.

On Gregory, you don't let a quality DE hit free agency, then expect to get a good deal on him. The time is now to give him an extension. It shows team faith in him, while Gregory's loyalty may still get us a good deal. Protect both sides with performance bonuses but loss of income if Gregory gets suspended.