Highlight of the Super Bowl was Tony Romo

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My opinion hasn't changed much, other than I think he's great calling games. Romo has been sensationalized since he's retired. It goes both ways. People are going to hate, but the opposite is also true.
You didn't dislike him as a player, and you're more even handed than most. I think a lot the ones who assumed Romo was the problem, or based their opinions on what other people said are changing their points of view.

Reactions: G2

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
But had he not declined the penalty it put the Pats in FG range, not to mention only a few yards to go for a first, which them almost no shot a winning had they converted. Do you remember how much time NE had and how much time the Rams would have had they accepted the penalty and stopped NE?

There was 2:25 left after a 4-yard run on first down, so declining the penalty forced the Pats to run their second-down play before the two-minute warning. If the Rams had accepted the penalty, the Pats would have faced first-and-10 from the Rams' 43. However, they could have run the clock down to 2 minutes on the first-down play since LA had no timeouts, then been left with two more plays to run down the clock before having to punt (if they had not moved back into field-goal range.)

So essentially, LA gave up the field goal in order to get the ball back, which was the only chance it had to win. With the penalty declined, the Pats had to kick with 1:16 left. If the penalty had been accepted, there probably would have been about 30 seconds left even if New England had been forced to punt.

aria

Reaction score
Actually, I think Romo is more relevant, because he had the same coach and several of the same teammates that Dak has, not that all these threads are really about that. But I think people are seeing how much knowledge he has and realizing there was more to him than they'd thought. So maybe the concept that he was much less the problem with this team losing than they'd believed is causing them to see him in a different, more admiring light.
He often hung on to the ball too often which is a main reason he had so many injuries. He also took a lot of risks, some paid off and some didn’t. None of those have to do with his overall football knowledge but more his calculated or not so calculated risks.

As I’ve brought up before, he also gets a lot of credit for the wins while he was here because people claimed he was the one actually running the offense by changing plays, calling audibles, etc but when they lost it was always the coaching. That doesn’t add up, can’t have it both ways. So is what the Cowboys accomplished on offense more due to his “genius” football prowess or the coaching? Regardless, neither is flattering.

There’s no doubt the guy has good to above average football IQ, a lot of QB’s do, but that doesn’t make them great. Elijah is allegedly very smart in reading defenses and making adjustments at the line but you would never guess it based on his ill timed throws. Anyways, it’s very possible that Romo was always smart by football standards when he played for the Cowboys but has now gained much more knowledge being in the booth. He’s probably actually watching more film and getting to know the league better as a whole just due to that alone.

aria

Reaction score
My opinion hasn't changed much, other than I think he's great calling games. Romo has been sensationalized since he's retired. It goes both ways. People are going to hate, but the opposite is also true.
I never really hated him as a player, or even disliked him. I kind of felt the way about him as I do Dak now which is good to great at times and po’d the other. As I said earlier, I find it hilarious how many people bashed him hard throughout most of career and now they praise him. This so called “bashing and hating” people accuse me of is nothing more then what many were saying around here during his career and I wasn’t.

As you mentioned, and where I come in, is the sensationalism of him since he retired. I’m not going to bite my tongue week after week when all these threads pop up about how great he was, how it was all the coaces fault, how Jerry and JG wasted his career...some of that is true to a degree and he was above average but he also had his chances and didn’t get it done, people don’t want to hear that and consider it “hating”.

As far as the booth, I’ve acknowledged several times he is a good announcer but again, I’ll always call out the “he’s always right” comments and does there really need to be a thread every week about him in the booth? On a side note, he has some interesting things to say but his school girl giddiness and constant “ooing and ahhing” is annoying to me. I’d much rather listen to Aikman but I would take Romo over the MNF crowd (as much as I love JW) and most other announcers.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I never really hated him as a player, or even disliked him. I kind of felt the way about him as I do Dak now which is good to great at times and po’d the other. As I said earlier, I find it hilarious how many people bashed him hard throughout most of career and now they praise him. This so called “bashing and hating” people accuse me of is nothing more then what many were saying around here during his career and I wasn’t.

As you mentioned, and where I come in, is the sensationalism of him since he retired. I’m not going to bite my tongue week after week when all these threads pop up about how great he was, how it was all the coaces fault, how Jerry and JG wasted his career...some of that is true to a degree and he was above average but he also had his chances and didn’t get it done, people don’t want to hear that and consider it “hating”.

As far as the booth, I’ve acknowledged several times he is a good announcer but again, I’ll always call out the “he’s always right” comments and does there really need to be a thread every week about him in the booth? On a side note, he has some interesting things to say but his school girl giddiness and constant “ooing and ahhing” is annoying to me. I’d much rather listen to Aikman but I would take Romo over the MNF crowd (as much as I love JW) and most other announcers.
I really like him calling games, but I wouldn't mind if he toned down, just a bit. Maybe Nantz is feeding his tendency, I don't know, but he often acts as if he's watching the game at a bar, with someone who doesn't really know much about football.

aria

Reaction score
I really like him calling games, but I wouldn't mind if he toned down, just a bit. Maybe Nantz is feeding his tendency, I don't know, but he often acts as if he's watching the game at a bar, with someone who doesn't really know much about football.
He also lost me a bit of money, I did a prop bet before the SB that he woukd say “here we go” 3 times or more. I knew I was screwed when Nantzy boy started opening kickoff by saying something along the lines to Romo of “and one of your favorite sayings, here we go”. He stole it! That SOB :mad:

Think I still would of lost though, only heard him say it one other time but I think a large part of that was due to the lack of excitement.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He also lost me a bit of money, I did a prop bet before the SB that he woukd say “here we go” 3 times or more. I knew I was screwed when Nantzy boy started opening kickoff by saying something along the lines to Romo of “and one of your favorite sayings, here we go”. He stole it! That SOB :mad:

Think I still would of lost though, only heard him say it one other time but I think a large part of that was due to the lack of excitement.
LMAO

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Halftime was especially garbage....the rapper in the middle was swearing so much i thought my directv was losing signal

Yeah, the halftime show was the worst I've ever seen. What were they thinking hiring those guys?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Tony Romo. Guy was fantastic in the booth! :thumbup:
So was this.... :lmao2:
I07TgE2.jpg