Twitter: Hill: Donovan Wilson Getting 1st Team Reps

Carson

Reaction score
ECbq0IGW4AEt0JQ.jpg

Of course Heath gets a pick with the 2s. Dude is a solid role player ... just doesn’t need to be with the 1s

speedkilz88

Reaction score
All I want for Christmas is for Jeff Heath to become a core special teamer who only comes on when another safety gets injured.
In dime packages as an extra safety would work well. Put him in robber situations.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think our four safeties are going to be Heath, Woods, Wilson and Thomspon.....

If we go with four, that's possible. I haven't seen much to like from Thompson, but he is a free safety and possibly as good on special teams as Frazier. I lean toward Frazier being kept, though.

Iloka hasn't really caught my eye.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Darian Thompson should be on the same train out of Frisco.
Why?

He appears to be in the right place at the right time.
I didn't notice any pass coverage issues.
He appears to have the ability to pick up TEs in man coverage.
He made several tackles.

The primary issue I saw was that he came in too aggressively on some tackle attempts.
- He had about 3 plays over the two ps games where he came running in at full speed, dove at the ball carrier & missed.

pacboyX

Reaction score
Omg I think I’m gonna cry. Dreams really do come true. Lol

Plankton

Reaction score
Why?

He appears to be in the right place at the right time.
I didn't notice any pass coverage issues.
He appears to have the ability to pick up TEs in man coverage.
He made several tackles.

The primary issue I saw was that he came in too aggressively on some tackle attempts.
- He had about 3 plays over the two ps games where he came running in at full speed, dove at the ball carrier & missed.

Exactly what you mentioned at the end - not secure tackling. If you can't tackle at the safety position, you're kind of useless. He missed multiple tackles in the Ram game, and hasn't done much else to offset the problem.

John813

Reaction score
Scary thought going into a superbowl run without Heath.

That's like the 49ers trying to win without Lott.

CWR

Reaction score
Step off bro, you aint no Heath...goat.

quickccc

Reaction score
i'd much rather hear that than Jamiel Showers taking his reps away again ...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly what you mentioned at the end - not secure tackling. If you can't tackle at the safety position, you're kind of useless. He missed multiple tackles in the Ram game, and hasn't done much else to offset the problem.

I just reviewed him in the Rams game.
  • I saw 2 plays that probably get recorded as missed tackles in the stats.
  • On one play he had a RB by the leg and held him up long enough that help should have arrived but was delayed.
  • On the other play he went for the big hit when he and two other defenders were converging on the ball carrier.
    • I didn't see him go for the big hit when he was the last line of defense.

Maybe you mixed him up with another player on some plays.
  • Thompson is #23.
  • #28 played significant snaps at Safety & #28 looks similar to #23.
  • #53 and #43 played significant snaps at LB. Sometimes the #3 flashes and it's hard to see for certain which player it was without rewinding a couple of times.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Woods and Wilson. Sounds good to me. It will more then likely be a next year thing, but it still sounds good to me.

I like Thompson but he should be a SS instead of a FS. Doubt he makes the team at FS. Because Wilson may need a year of learning. Which means Wilson will be backing up Woods, for now.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
More like the end of the Iloka experiment.

The fact that he's hardly being mentioned at all in media reports seems to speak volumes in terms of his success in TC. I haven't heard nor read anything about him being injured, either, so apparently, something isn't quite right with him and his contributions (or lack thereof) for the defense. I'm inclined to suspect you might be right about that experiment being one that might very well end with his release.

He's reportedly getting some "strong" reps lately, along with Donovan Wilson in camp. With Jeff Heath being injured, ot's understandable, although, he was getting the lion's share of reps before going down. Perhaps we'll get a better idea of what to expect when Heath comes off of the injury list. I thought Illoka was a fairly weak link to add to start with, though. The final cuts should prove interesting, no doubt about it.

Last edited: