Hindsight Offseason

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Do this every year and act as I'm the GM, while signing players to the contracts that they signed, and drafting players at or above the position they were taken. Along with any roster adjustments I see fit. I typically try to use less than the CAP space we used on the season.

Alright so I'll start with in house names. Players I would have signed like we did:
Kerry Hyder- $887K cap hit
Tavon- $1.3M hit
Covington- $1.7M
Robert Quinn trade- 6th rounder

I skip on Olawale, Cobb, Iloka, and Witten. I like the Fleming signing, but prefer to go a different direction. I also wouldn't have picked up Hurns $5M option. These moves would have saved roughly $18M.

Outside FA I would have signed:
Shaq Barrett Edge- 1yr/$4M
Kareem Hunt RB(suspended 8 games)- 1yr/$1.1M
Maurice Harris WR- 1yr/$1M
Demetrius Harris TE- 2yr/$6M
Ty Nsekhe- 2 yr/$10M
Eric Weddle- 2yr/$10.5M

Now moving onto the draft. I wouldn't have traded down from the initial picks, so here are my selections.

58- Nasir Adderly S Delaware
90- Hakeem Butler WR Iowa State
128- Kingsley Keke 3T Texas A&M
136- Christian Miller Edge Alabama
165- Lamont Gaillard Guard Georgia
241- Dakota Allen LB Texas Tech

UDFAs- Daniel Wise, Mitch Hyatt, Jon'Vea Johnson, Chris Westry, Stanley Morgan WR Nebraska, Antione Wesley WR Texas Tech, Darius West Safety Kentucky, Devine Ozigbo RB Kansas, Te'Von Conley LB Notre Dame, Jordan Ta'amu QB Ole Miss, Gerald Willis DT Miami

Depth chart:
Dak/White/Rush
Zeke/Jackson/Ozigbo/Hunt after game 8
Smith/Collins/Nsekhe/Hyatt
Williams/Martin/Gaillard/XSF
Frederick/Looney
Cooper/Butler/Gallup/Tavon/Harris/Wilson/UDFA
Harris/Jarwin/Schultz

Lawrence/Armstrong/Taco/Hyder
Gregory/Quinn/Barrett/Miller
Woods/Covington/Wise
Crawford/Collins/Keke
LVE/Jaylon/Lee/Thomas/JML/Allen/Covington
Byron/Awuzie/Brown/Awuzie/Westry
Weddle/Woods/Adderly/Heath/Thompson

What would yall have done?

Reaction score
I have absolutely no problem with what we did in free agency. I would just swap out Clayton Geathers or Berry for Iloka. I think they’re more dynamic, albeit more injury prone.

In the draft, I loved Hill and McGovern picks. Would not change. I would have taken Isaiah Johnson in 4th over Pollard (hoping we got him with our second 4th). I would have taken Willis over Jelks in 7th. But Wise UDFA makes they better. I like the rest of what we did.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you save $18 million cap space for $19.1 million, for possibly lesser players and one that will not contribute for 8 games.
Then you have a lesser draft than what the team actually had IMO.

Way too many UDFA making the roster.
Weddle is done, Iloka was the better signing for much less, and fits more into the long term plan of getting a younger, better SS in here for the 2020 draft.
Having Jackson on the team as the #2 RB if that is the order you have them listed, is failure. Again IMO.
You have 3 new WR and unproven along with a 6th round draft pick in Wilson who we have no idea how he will be. That is too much of a change.

I really Ould not have one much different. I liked what they did in FA, and I think Hurns can still add value, however if Wilson is all that, then he replaces him.
I would have done a little something different with the way they did day 3 draft. Like take Johnson, then they still could have got Pollard and Weber, and even Wilson and M. Jackson too. They could have done without the 2 DE's. A trade up and could have got those same players, but instead of Johnson it could have been a S.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
So you save $18 million cap space for $19.1 million, for possibly lesser players and one that will not contribute for 8 games.

Weddle is done, Iloka was the better signing for much less, and fits more into the long term plan of getting a younger, better SS in here for the 2020 draft.
Having Jackson on the team as the #2 RB if that is the order you have them listed, is failure. Again IMO.
You have 3 new WR and unproven along with a 6th round draft pick in Wilson who we have no idea how he will be. That is too much of a change.

I really Ould not have one much different. I liked what they did in FA, and I think Hurns can still add value, however if Wilson is all that, then he replaces him.
I would have done a little something different with the way they did day 3 draft. Like take Johnson, then they still could have got Pollard and Weber, and even Wilson and M. Jackson too. They could have done without the 2 DE's. A trade up and could have got those same players, but instead of Johnson it could have been a S.

There's a ton wrong with this post. Hard to even know where to start.

It's fine to say that you don't know outside FAs or the draft very well, so you're going to just trust what the Cowboys did, but then there's really no reason to comment in here, right? Trusting what the Cowboys do in free agency is.... pretty risky recently. I have done much better than them, and in the draft to an extent.

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's a ton wrong with this post. Hard to even know where to start.

It's fine to say that you don't know outside FAs or the draft very well, so you're going to just trust what the Cowboys did, but then there's really no reason to comment in here, right? Trusting what the Cowboys do in free agency is.... pretty risky recently. I have done much better than them, and in the draft to an extent.

Who says you done better? You?
I will trust the team over you.

What makes you qualified more than that are. Most fans aren’t objective as they should be,
It is like picking what stocks to invest in or when to sell it. Most let their emotions and biased opinion take over

I am not saying you did this, but many do. As I have no idea to your thought process. I am just stating my opinion on what I would do. You are the one that asked the question and I answered it. So you do not like it, so you now say there is so much wrong with it. And trusting much of what the team does, is not risky at all, as they had pretty good success lately.

Don’t ask the question if you don’t want an answer you can’t agree with. Did you expect everyone to say...genius...

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

What makes you qualified more than that are. Most fans aren’t objective as they should be,
It is like picking what stocks to invest in or when to sell it. Most let their emotions and biased opinion take over

I am not saying you did this, but many do. As I have no idea to your thought process. I am just stating my opinion on what I would do. You are the one that asked the question and I answered it. So you do not like it, so you now say there is so much wrong with it. And trusting much of what the team does, is not risky at all, as they had pretty good success lately.

Don’t ask the question if you don’t want an answer you can’t agree with. Did you expect everyone to say...genius...

From the prior offseasons when I posted this exact same thing. This isnt a first year thing.

I asked what would have done, you then said I'd do the same exact stuff the Boys did except maybe cutting one player lol.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

1. "So you use $1.1M more and possibly get lesser players?"
Yes, there's always a possibility of them being worse. What was even the point in saying that?
I have faith that mine will produce at a much higher level than what we ended up signing. And if that player weren't suspended for 8 games he would have been much more expensive.

2. "Way too many UDFAs make the team"
What are you talking about? I didn't even post who would make the team lol.

3. "Weddle is done"
Been a top 10 safety for any years, and was the #10 rated safety last year, where as Iloka has never sniffed top 10 status. But sure a top 10 safety last year is "done". Comparing him and Iloka is beyond silly.

4. "You have three new WRs... that's too much of a change"
It's exactly one less new WR than you're proposing lmao. And that guy is Hurns who you might cut possibly. That's a big failure IMO.

5. "Then you have a lesser draft then what the team actually had IMO".
Nothing to back it up, just you think the Cowboys draft was perfect, despite in all actuality it wasnt. Many pundits agree that our draft less us behind the ball compared to the other teams. I'll take my draft over their draft.

See what I'm talking about?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From the prior offseasons when I posted this exact same thing. This isnt a first year thing.

I asked what would have done, you then said I'd do the same exact stuff the Boys did except maybe cutting one player lol.

Go back and read my post. I did not say cut one player.
Don’t make it out to be something I did not post.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
@Hennessy_King

Which group you taking?

Group A:
Witten
Cobb
Olawale
Fleming
Hurns
Iloka

Group B:
Weddle
Demetrius Harris
Ty Nsekhe(I understand if not many people know who he is)
Shaq Barrett
Kareem Hunt
Maurice Harris(again dont blame anyone for not knowing him)

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Just revisiting this.

Hyder, Covington, Quinn, and Tavon are providing value for the Cowboys, while Witten and Olawale are not.
Hurns got let go like I wanted.

We are through six games now and having Jackson as our #2 would have been perfectly fine, considering how little our RB2 plays. And only two more games until Hunt would be back for us who is an elite talent. So the opposite of a failure.

Weddle is playing well for the Rams, while Iloka didn't make the team and still is on the couch.
Shaq Barrett is leading the league in sacks
Flemming is struggling big time, while Nsekhe hasn't allowed a sack this season
Cobb has been our worst performing receiver so far, while Harris got injured.

I won't even get into how bad our draft class has been.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Just revisiting this.

Hyder, Covington, Quinn, and Tavon are providing value for the Cowboys, while Witten and Olawale are not.
Hurns got let go like I wanted.

We are through six games now and having Jackson as our #2 would have been perfectly fine, considering how little our RB2 plays. And only two more games until Hunt would be back for us who is an elite talent. So the opposite of a failure.

Weddle is playing well for the Rams, while Iloka didn't make the team and still is on the couch.
Shaq Barrett is leading the league in sacks
Flemming is struggling big time, while Nsekhe hasn't allowed a sack this season
Cobb has been our worst performing receiver so far, while Harris got injured.

I won't even get into how bad our draft class has been.

It really is amazing how conventional wisdom about players is often right, as opposed to the Joneses thinking they've outsmarted the rest of the league and playing themselves.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

This was a fun back and forth.

Any thoughts now looking back? Haha.

Iloka and Hurns didn't even make the roster and you said Iloka was the better signing than Weddle who played very well for the Rams. Olawale made abolsutely no impact last season.

Shaq Barrett lead the league in sacks.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This was a fun back and forth.

Any thoughts now looking back? Haha.

Iloka and Hurns didn't even make the roster and you said Iloka was the better signing than Weddle who played very well for the Rams. Olawale made abolsutely no impact last season.

Shaq Barrett lead the league in sacks.

Is this a callout post? About what?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
They have a rule against bumping old threads

So we are supposed to predict what we think will happen in the future regarding different football activities, and when the time comes to evaluate how that went you can't even revert back to the original conversation?

That seems silly.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Callout post?
Just asking how you thought it turned out.

Pretty interesting a year later

it was last year, it’s over. I am not going back to read all the posts to see what it is about.
It seems you are trying to bait me into an argument.
I have better things to do.