Hitchens is the most reliable LB we have

TheFinisher

Reaction score
I'd make a hard run at him before he hits FA and try and convince him to stay. Sean Lee is getting up there in age, and we all know he's almost a guarantee to miss some games each year.

This is the problem for me.

Say we let Hitchens walk. That would mean Jaylon Smith, another high investment, will be expected to start at MLB next year. I think Jaylon is a great kid and I'm encouraged by what I saw late in the season, but let's be honest, he's still wearing a brace to make it possible for him to lift his foot. I know the hope and expectation is that it will continue to get better, with the possibility he won't need the brace going forward. He was a high selection and the team will want to see a return on their investment.

With Jaylon and Lee slated to be our 2LB crew, the value doesn't really match up with selecting another LB at 19. Your hope is that Jaylon and Lee stay healthy and play excellent, effectively rendering the selection of a round 1 LB to have little impact on the team. However, if either of them goes down, which carries a better possibility here than other teams, then that LB would play a ton.

We already have that guy in Hitchens. He's been an excellent insurance policy who knows the scheme inside and out. Not every player can deliver off the bench when their number is called, but Hitchens is one of those guys.

Cebrin

Reaction score
I'd make a hard run at him before he hits FA and try and convince him to stay. Sean Lee is getting up there in age, and we all know he's almost a guarantee to miss some games each year.

Say we let Hitchens walk. That would mean Jaylon Smith, another high investment, will be expected to start at MLB next year. I think Jaylon is a great kid and I'm encouraged by what I saw late in the season, but let's be honest, he's still wearing a brace to make it possible for him to lift his foot. I know the hope and expectation is that it will continue to get better, with the possibility he won't need the brace going forward. He was a high selection and the team will want to see a return on their investment.

With Jaylon and Lee slated to be our 2LB crew, the value doesn't really match up with selecting another LB at 19. Your hope is that Jaylon and Lee stay healthy and play excellent, effectively rendering the selection of a round 1 LB to have little impact on the team. However, if either of them goes down, which carries a better possibility here than other teams, then that LB would play a ton.

We already have that guy in Hitchens. He's been an excellent insurance policy who knows the scheme inside and out. Not every player can deliver off the bench when their number is called, but Hitchens is one of those guys.

I think he is sorely underappreciated. He's a mid rd pick, that IMO just started to show his potential this past season. He looked more confident, slashing to the ball carrier, and understanding his assignments than I have ever seen him. He is middle of the pack in coverage, but I wonder how much of that plays in to an ineffective 1 tech? Having to anticipate being the 1st to touch a RB will slow your reads down. It is a team game, after all. That fraction of a second that a big body could slow the gap, would allow all of the LB's to make reads better. I hope he likes it here, and takes a respectable deal in Dallas.

conner01

Reaction score
There is a price where hitch would be too high but I would love to keep him
He is better than most fans think and it forces you to take a LB early if not at 19
I’m all for taking a LB if he’s the best player there but don’t want to have to if he’s not

sosweeth2

Reaction score

that really really sad

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

He has an easy job

Two down LB that only plays 50% of the snaps

His ceiling is JSmith's floor

cern

Reaction score
Hope we don't lose him. I expect there will be lots of interest in hitch.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't think even if Jaylon is 100% healthy he is really the guy we want at MLB anyway. He's more of a pursuer than a physical guy to plug the holes and take on FB's and interior O-Linemen in the middle. I don't know that's really an ideal role for Hitchens either, but I think it fits him better, and would leave Smith to an OLB role where he could more effectively use his speed and playmaking ability.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I hate FA now.

It's going to end up like the MLB soon enough, salary bubble collapse. Teams meeting the floor will grudgingly overpay players and pray they get half the production.

I like Hitchens, but market value looks like it's going to be stupid. This just based on projection from what I've seen, if he ends up being affordable then right on.

I'm still looking at Bowman, I know he likes the Bay but if I can get him cheaper than Hitchens on a fair enough deal, I'd probably do it quickly.

LB is also a candidate for BPA in the draft. Also wouldn't be surprised to see a few of our mid/later round picks that we have a few of thrown at it. Churn.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

We need to get younger at LBer.

Will not be surprised they draft one #1.

But must be able to also pass rush the QB to help with sacks.

Hitchens is going to out price himself with Martin needing to be resigned and a FA WR maybe being needed.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like most I want to see Hitch stay at a reasonable rate. He is good at what he is asked to do. Maybe not great but pretty darn reliable. The problem with him leaving is simple. The Cowboys already need to invest a day 1 or day 2 pick at LB. If Hitch leaves that's yet another hole that will need fixed this spring. I'd rather use that resource to find a DT, S, WR or OL.

Sydla

Reaction score
There is a price where hitch would be too high but I would love to keep him
He is better than most fans think and it forces you to take a LB early if not at 19
I’m all for taking a LB if he’s the best player there but don’t want to have to if he’s not

They probably need to take a LB high at some point regardless of whether Hitchens is back or not.

conner01

Reaction score
They probably need to take a LB high at some point regardless of whether Hitchens is back or not.
I’m all for it if he’s the best player
I just don’t want to be in a position I have to take one if a better player is there

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Anthony Hitchens 12 starts 84 tackles 0 sacks 1 FF 2 PD
Jaylon Smith 6 starts 81 tackles 1 sack 2 FF 2 PD

Smith has the same production in half the starts. You saw at the end of the yr an incredible amount of improvement from the start. Hitchens is gone.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Like most I want to see Hitch stay at a reasonable rate. He is good at what he is asked to do. Maybe not great but pretty darn reliable. The problem with him leaving is simple. The Cowboys already need to invest a day 1 or day 2 pick at LB. If Hitch leaves that's yet another hole that will need fixed this spring. I'd rather use that resource to find a DT, S, WR or OL.
u fix it with Smith. IDK why people dont think Hitchens wasnt a liability in runs right up the middle.

cern

Reaction score
For those who are calling hitch a situational player, what other lb is subbing for him on third downs? Surely not jaylon who doesn't change directions easily. And teams just don't throw only on third downs anymore. I've seen him playing on third downs often.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If Hitch leaves that's yet another hole that will need fixed this spring. I'd rather use that resource to find a DT, S, WR or OL.
We have a way bigger problem at LB than at three of the four positions you listed, believe it or not.

Re-signing Hitchens does not address it other than committing you to start, for the next two or three years, a player that has never truly been a full time starter but a fill-in. His presence does not make Lee stay healthy, make Smith smarter and healthier or make Wilson more talented.