Hitchens is the most reliable LB we have

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I'd make a hard run at him before he hits FA and try and convince him to stay. Sean Lee is getting up there in age, and we all know he's almost a guarantee to miss some games each year.

This is the problem for me.

Say we let Hitchens walk. That would mean Jaylon Smith, another high investment, will be expected to start at MLB next year. I think Jaylon is a great kid and I'm encouraged by what I saw late in the season, but let's be honest, he's still wearing a brace to make it possible for him to lift his foot. I know the hope and expectation is that it will continue to get better, with the possibility he won't need the brace going forward. He was a high selection and the team will want to see a return on their investment.

With Jaylon and Lee slated to be our 2LB crew, the value doesn't really match up with selecting another LB at 19. Your hope is that Jaylon and Lee stay healthy and play excellent, effectively rendering the selection of a round 1 LB to have little impact on the team. However, if either of them goes down, which carries a better possibility here than other teams, then that LB would play a ton.

We already have that guy in Hitchens. He's been an excellent insurance policy who knows the scheme inside and out. Not every player can deliver off the bench when their number is called, but Hitchens is one of those guys.
Let Hitchens walk.
Bellichek will claim him. Coach him and make him an all-pro.
Something we seemingly cannot do.

aria

Reaction score
Anthony Hitchens 12 starts 84 tackles 0 sacks 1 FF 2 PD
Jaylon Smith 6 starts 81 tackles 1 sack 2 FF 2 PD

Smith has the same production in half the starts. You saw at the end of the yr an incredible amount of improvement from the start. Hitchens is gone.
That’s only because the running backs and receivers were afraid of Hitchens so ran towards Smith instead.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
He's not getting 4/$45MM whoever made that projection was on crack. He will get between $6-8MM AAV, though, probably. Maybe a bit more.

That's a problem to me , Idgit.....................I cannot justify a 2 down LB'er being given $8 million a year................Your thoughts...............

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I hate FA now.

It's going to end up like the MLB soon enough, salary bubble collapse. Teams meeting the floor will grudgingly overpay players and pray they get half the production.

I like Hitchens, but market value looks like it's going to be stupid. This just based on projection from what I've seen, if he ends up being affordable then right on.

I'm still looking at Bowman, I know he likes the Bay but if I can get him cheaper than Hitchens on a fair enough deal, I'd probably do it quickly.

LB is also a candidate for BPA in the draft. Also wouldn't be surprised to see a few of our mid/later round picks that we have a few of thrown at it. Churn.
There will be your usual teams shopping, and willing to over pay, but Hitch is in a group of worthy talent that might somewhat affect his bargaining power.
I put Hitch in this group of available FA LBs..
Hitch
Bowman
Whitehead
Kyle Van Noy
AJ Klein
Danny Trevathon
Christian Kirksey

I would rather try and retain Hitch.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's a problem to me , Idgit.....................I cannot justify a 2 down LB'er being given $8 million a year................Your thoughts...............

I play Hitch over Smith, for starters. He's our 2nd best LB right now. I was hoping to get him done for $6MM/year, so, like Lawrence Timmons/AJ Klein money. I'm not sure that's possible, though, because he'll get more on the market. He might be a better fit, even, in a 3-4 defense, so he could play for literally any team that needs a LB.

We'd have to keep him under Sean Lee's $7MM AAV, though, right?

MCMetal69

Reaction score
I play Hitch over Smith, for starters. He's our 2nd best LB right now. I was hoping to get him done for $6MM/year, so, like Lawrence Timmons/AJ Klein money. I'm not sure that's possible, though, because he'll get more on the market. He might be a better fit, even, in a 3-4 defense, so he could play for literally any team that needs a LB.

We'd have to keep him under Sean Lee's $7MM AAV, though, right?

I would assume so , but it's getting bothersome watching our best defensive player constantly missing critical games every season.........I simply don't see a way the Boys can keep Hitchens based on the free agent money that's sure to be out there.....................

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
There will be your usual teams shopping, and willing to over pay, but Hitch is in a group of worthy talent that might somewhat affect his bargaining power.
I put Hitch in this group of available FA LBs..
Hitch
Bowman
Whitehead
Kyle Van Noy
AJ Klein
Danny Trevathon
Christian Kirksey

I would rather try and retain Hitch.
You forget Zch Brown, Preston Brown, Jon Bostic, Brian Cushing

it is a good time to need vet LBers

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would assume so , but it's getting bothersome watching our best defensive player constantly missing critical games every season.........I simply don't see a way the Boys can keep Hitchens based on the free agent money that's sure to be out there.....................

If he gets to the market, he's gone. And we probably won't sign him prior unless we have Martin and Lawrence worked out. I can't imagine why Lawrence would sign early. Even so, Hitchens has to know he'll get more on the market, so unless he wants to stay in Dallas, yeah, he's probably gone.

Which sucks, because we sit here not signing other teams' guys in VFA and saying it's because we want to sign our own. And then let one of our better defenders who plays through injury and plays 3 positions for us walk at 25 YO. What's the point?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You forget Zch Brown, Preston Brown, Jon Bostic, Brian Cushing

it is a good time to need vet LBers
I didn't include them, but you are right,,, Ive posted the list of FA LBs so many times, that I get sloppy, lazy and forget.
Good update, esp both Browns.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
If he gets to the market, he's gone. And we probably won't sign him prior unless we have Martin and Lawrence worked out. I can't imagine why Lawrence would sign early. Even so, Hitchens has to know he'll get more on the market, so unless he wants to stay in Dallas, yeah, he's probably gone.

Which sucks, because we sit here not signing other teams' guys in VFA and saying it's because we want to sign our own. And then let one of our better defenders who plays through injury and plays 3 positions for us walk at 25 YO. What's the point?

And even worse is the free agents we do happen to sign are past their prime or are JAGS who really don't fit..........................Sad.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
And even worse is the free agents we do happen to sign are past their prime or are JAGS who really don't fit..........................Sad.
We only need backups.................. SLee, JSmith and DWilson are locked in

You don't pay backup LBers 5-8m...... you pay them 2-4m tops

Draft SLee's replacement....... it is a good year for 43 LBs

If JSmith was in this Draft he would be a Top 10 pick

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'd make a hard run at him before he hits FA and try and convince him to stay. Sean Lee is getting up there in age, and we all know he's almost a guarantee to miss some games each year.

Say we let Hitchens walk. That would mean Jaylon Smith, another high investment, will be expected to start at MLB next year. I think Jaylon is a great kid and I'm encouraged by what I saw late in the season, but let's be honest, he's still wearing a brace to make it possible for him to lift his foot. I know the hope and expectation is that it will continue to get better, with the possibility he won't need the brace going forward. He was a high selection and the team will want to see a return on their investment.

With Jaylon and Lee slated to be our 2LB crew, the value doesn't really match up with selecting another LB at 19. Your hope is that Jaylon and Lee stay healthy and play excellent, effectively rendering the selection of a round 1 LB to have little impact on the team. However, if either of them goes down, which carries a better possibility here than other teams, then that LB would play a ton.

We already have that guy in Hitchens. He's been an excellent insurance policy who knows the scheme inside and out. Not every player can deliver off the bench when their number is called, but Hitchens is one of those guys.

That is sad. Exactly why we need to draft a LB.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
We only need backups.................. SLee, JSmith and DWilson are locked in

You don't pay backup LBers 5-8m...... you pay them 2-4m tops

Draft SLee's replacement....... it is a good year for 43 LBs

If JSmith was in this Draft he would be a Top 10 pick
Jaylon needs competition

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Hes great if hes your 3rd best linebacker or backup at all 3 positions. But if he is one of your top 2 guys and you have to pay him like that, then its weak. Tough DT, veteran pro bowl type safety and another first round linebacker and I think this defense is ready for prime time.