Hitchens is the most reliable LB we have

Sydla

Reaction score
Who is paying Hitchens 8-9 mill a year? Let me know when Hitchens gets 8 to 9 mill a year.

It was just an example to highlight the point that there is absolutely a line you don't cross when it comes to paying Hitchens. Some are acting like you have to bring him back regardless of cost because he's so important. One, he's not that important. Two, he's not even the guy they plan on playing MLB long term. Three, you don't overpay for his level of production.

I wouldn't pay him 6-7MM a year either, frankly.

Sydla

Reaction score
A lot of jaylons tackles were 6-7 yds pass the line of scrimmage. He didn't do a great job at tackles for loss or tackles around the line of scrimmage.

I don't recall Hitchens being a tackles for loss machine or around the LOS himself either.

This is not meant to slam Hitchens, who I like and think is a good LB for what he should be. But people overrate how good he is.

Sydla

Reaction score

Myles Jack struggled at MLB or WILL, so the Jags had to move him to SAM and also made him the nickel LB.

If Cowboys fans are thinking Myles Jack should have been picked and it would have solved our MLB position, they would be mistaken. Frankly, I think putting either Jack or Smith at MLB is a mistake. They are both likely WILLs.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I don't recall Hitchens being a tackles for loss machine or around the LOS himself either.

This is not meant to slam Hitchens, who I like and think is a good LB for what he should be. But people overrate how good he is.
0t7gjkg.png

Hitchens was decent at it. He was ranked #62 in the NFL amongst all linebackers, linemen, and secondary.

FYI I like Hitchens but also dont think he's great...I just think he's the second best linebacker on the cowboys and an above avg NFL player.

Sydla

Reaction score
Team Rankings is notoriously inaccurate, FWIW.

ghst187

Reaction score
He has an easy job

His ceiling is JSmith's floor

That's not really possible considering Jaylon Smith was quite possibly the worst LB in football the first few games he saw the field. You are making that statement with the assumption that Jaylon will be 100% or close to it and we don't yet even know if that will ever be the case. He showed a lot of improvement for sure but to put our LB completely in the hands of two LBs with serious serious injury problems is insane. Hitch is well worth a nice but reasonable salary just because we know he can play and will likely be available to play every week. I'd pay that insurance money and look at other more glaring holes to fill instead of creating another.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Lets not forget we have a hole coming in the LB corp, Wilson still has pending disciplinary action coming. I would imagine with the current climate the NFL may not go light due to the offense, road rage with a gun, an Ar15 no less.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'd make a hard run at him before he hits FA and try and convince him to stay. Sean Lee is getting up there in age, and we all know he's almost a guarantee to miss some games each year.

This is the problem for me.

Say we let Hitchens walk. That would mean Jaylon Smith, another high investment, will be expected to start at MLB next year. I think Jaylon is a great kid and I'm encouraged by what I saw late in the season, but let's be honest, he's still wearing a brace to make it possible for him to lift his foot. I know the hope and expectation is that it will continue to get better, with the possibility he won't need the brace going forward. He was a high selection and the team will want to see a return on their investment.

With Jaylon and Lee slated to be our 2LB crew, the value doesn't really match up with selecting another LB at 19. Your hope is that Jaylon and Lee stay healthy and play excellent, effectively rendering the selection of a round 1 LB to have little impact on the team. However, if either of them goes down, which carries a better possibility here than other teams, then that LB would play a ton.

We already have that guy in Hitchens. He's been an excellent insurance policy who knows the scheme inside and out. Not every player can deliver off the bench when their number is called, but Hitchens is one of those guys.
mr Finisher--- i must agree with hitchens is our most reliable...i love the guy..i wouild rather dump crawford and his 9 mil contract and keep Hitchens...our D line can become total elite if we can keep Irving and Collins returns to 2016 form and Taco and Tapper get better and we get a viable 1-tech

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Lets not forget we have a hole coming in the LB corp, Wilson still has pending disciplinary action coming. I would imagine with the current climate the NFL may not go light due to the offense, road rage with a gun, an Ar15 no less.
mr jr-- i thought i heard that went away?????

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I hate FA now.

It's going to end up like the MLB soon enough, salary bubble collapse. Teams meeting the floor will grudgingly overpay players and pray they get half the production.

I like Hitchens, but market value looks like it's going to be stupid. This just based on projection from what I've seen, if he ends up being affordable then right on.

I'm still looking at Bowman, I know he likes the Bay but if I can get him cheaper than Hitchens on a fair enough deal, I'd probably do it quickly.

LB is also a candidate for BPA in the draft. Also wouldn't be surprised to see a few of our mid/later round picks that we have a few of thrown at it. Churn.
i heard this draft is lean on LB's..well ...lean on lots of good ones?

PUSHfold

Reaction score
It's simple...if he will resign at a reasonable price then great if not cya. We can't pay elite MLB money to an average-slightly above average MLB. I hope he stays but not at 8-9mpy. Also I agree with above poster who said Jaylon Smith would be a better WLB, I don't think his best position is MLB.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
**Draft an Upgrade**

**Draft an Upgrade**

**Draft an Upgrade**

Hitch is always injured and he’s a back up at best. An early draft pick will be more economical and likely far more reliable....

CCBoy

Reaction score
0t7gjkg.png

Hitchens was decent at it. He was ranked #62 in the NFL amongst all linebackers, linemen, and secondary.

FYI I like Hitchens but also dont think he's great...I just think he's the second best linebacker on the cowboys and an above avg NFL player.

Myself, I prefer Hitchens being retained for quality depth, and one of the top two linebackers taken during the draft. That would then place Dallas with a top shelf linebacker group, and cause the Marrinellli defense to function at a top shelf manner as well...now!

Verdict

Reaction score
If he gets to the market, he's gone. And we probably won't sign him prior unless we have Martin and Lawrence worked out. I can't imagine why Lawrence would sign early. Even so, Hitchens has to know he'll get more on the market, so unless he wants to stay in Dallas, yeah, he's probably gone.

Which sucks, because we sit here not signing other teams' guys in VFA and saying it's because we want to sign our own. And then let one of our better defenders who plays through injury and plays 3 positions for us walk at 25 YO. What's the point?

You make an excellent point. Why can't we keep Hitch at market rate? Here is your answer......

We have pissed off a ton of cap room on Dez and Witten. Some on here act like the cap charge do any count because Dez and Witten are "Cowboys for life". That's beyond stupid use of cap space.

I am not "for" paying Hitchens too much to stay a Cowboy. But I would rather over pay Hitchens than Dez or Witten. Neither are bringing anything to the table but both are killing the **** out of our cap.

Issues like these are why you can't be sentimental with players. If Hitchens walks it will NOT be because he can't play OR because we don't want him. It will be because we have chosen to spend cap dollars elsewhere. See: DeMarco Murray, Leary, and others.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
A lot of jaylons tackles were 6-7 yds pass the line of scrimmage. He didn't do a great job at tackles for loss or tackles around the line of scrimmage.
Would you rather he not make the tackles that other people missed?