HOF - Cliff Harris in; Drew Pearson not

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Chuck Howley was so good I tend to just assume he's already in the Hall of Fame.

He was probably the best defensive player on the team every year he played other than Lilly.
I think part of the problem is we had so many great talents on that defense but we didn’t win enough championships.

George Andrie, Jethro Pugh, Chuck Howley, Lee Roy Jordan, Cliff Harris , Charlie Waters and Cornell Green all great talents.

And only Lilly and Renfro in up until now. Not counting Aderley who was inducted as a Packer of course.

The lack of championships has cost that era more inductions.

erod

Reaction score
Now Cliffs buddy in my long time avatar needs to be considered.
f50f4849f027d4cd13560d89b5cbf317.jpg

You mean the guy on the right of this very disturbing photo? :laugh:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think part of the problem is we had so many great talents on that defense but we didn’t win enough championships.

George Andrie, Jethro Pugh, Chuck Howley, Lee Roy Jordan, Cliff Harris , Charlie Waters and Cornell Green all great talents.

And only Lilly and Renfro in up until now. Not counting Aderley who was inducted as a Packer of course.

The lack of championships has cost that era more inductions.

Agreed. I wonder what the headcount is though for dynasties? Packers, Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys. Feels like the Steelers get every man in quickly.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
f50f4849f027d4cd13560d89b5cbf317.jpg

You mean the guy on the right of this very disturbing photo? :laugh:
My brother lives just down the road from Randy. His place sticks out like a sore thumb in Prosper with all of the new affluent homes around it. Lol

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Carmichael
All-Decade 70s (2nd team)
0 AP 1st team All Pro
4 Pro Bowls
12 Top 10 Seasons
0 rings

Pearson
All-Decade 70s (1st team)
3 AP 1st team All Pro
3 Pro Bowls
10 Top 10 Seasons
1 ring

Top 10 Seasons = receptions, yards, or TD

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm working but a good friend, who is also a Cowboys fan, texted me the news. Congratulations to Cliff Harris.

The Board of Selectors gave Drew Pearson the middle finger for yet ANOTHER year. Signing off again and going back to work before I type something that will have me ban myself.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I thought Pearson would get in before Harris. It’s a mystery to me why Pearson’s not in. He was the greatest third down receiver of the 1970s. Came up with clutch catch after clutch catch. In 22 playoff games he had 68 receptions for over 1100 yards and 8 TDs. He was on the receiving end of one of the greatest plays of all time the Hail Mary. It’s a travesty he’s not in. This may have been his last and best chance.

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
Carmichael
All-Decade 70s (2nd team)
0 AP 1st team All Pro
4 Pro Bowls
12 Top 10 Seasons
0 rings

Pearson
All-Decade 70s (1st team)
3 AP 1st team All Pro
3 Pro Bowls
10 Top 10 Seasons
1 ring

Top 10 Seasons = receptions, yards, or TD

I was just looking at this and the fact that Carmichael didn't make the first team as an All Pro one time and he got in over Pearson is a joke. Howley with FIVE All Pro first team selections should also be in!

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Cliff just named to the Hall of Fame.

Drew Pearson not named.

Criminal.
Entry into the HOF is becoming akin to selection for the Pro Bowl... a popularity contest that is losing its meaning (maybe not so much for the members that get in, but for the fans). Selection to both used to mean something, but both are rapidly losing their prestige. That's sad for those who are in the Hall and deserve to be there, but there are too many who are sitting on the outside that deserve to be in over some that are already in. The older players are screwed. There are too many writers (ie Hall voters) who don't know the history of the game and its players from years past.
It's also strange/comical that the same institution (media reps/writers) that selected the "all decade" team also determines who gets into the Hall. This "institution" selected the "all decade" 2nd team guy for the hall while snubbing the 1st team "all decade" player for the same honor. Where's the logic in that? Idiots...

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Pearson never made a Pro Bowl or All Pro in the 80's, and his top receiving year in the 80's was 614 yards. Carmichael had a 1,028 yard season and a 815 yard season in the 80's, and essentially also only played through the 1983 season like Drew (he did play 2 games as a Cowboy in 1984, and caught only 1 pass). Warfield was a 3 time Pro Bowler in the 1960's, and had 5 seasons in the 1960's that were better than Drew's best season in the 1980's. As for Drew retiring early because of the car crash, that's true, but in his last season 3 Cowboys had more receiving yardage than he did, so he was about at the end anyway.
You can go by the stats, but Pearson made some significant and great plays his entire career.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can go by the stats, but Pearson made some significant and great plays his entire career.
I agree completely, but you have to understand the context of my comments, which were only made as a response to the notion that Pearson is getting screwed because Warfield and Carmichael are in the HOF even though they weren't on the 1970's all decade team and Pearson was. I was simply pointing out that he was omitting the fact that Warfield and Carmichael built their careers on more than just the 1970's.