Houshmanzadeh Trade Rumors?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Houshmandzadeh subject of trade rumors

By Carlos "Big C" Holmes
Tuesday, October 7, 2008, 11:49 AM

The NFL trading deadline is 4 p.m. Oct. 14 and trade rumors are starting to run rampant throughout the league and the Cincinnati Bengals appear to be headliners.

T.J.%20Houshmandzadeh.jpg

Rumor has it that the San Francisco 49ers could have interest in acquiring Bengals WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

According to a league source, Houshmandzadeh’s name has come up quite frequently during conversation at Niners headquarters in recent weeks. Apparently, 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz is enamored with Houshmandzadeh and may have learned some positive things about the receiver from a member of the Zampese family who Martz remains close to.

The 49ers are looking to upgrade the receiver position opposite veteran Isaac Bruce and are expected to do so by the trading deadline. The acquisition of Houshmandzadeh would provide the team with more firepower in the passing game.

According to the source, the Niners organization is also expected to make contact with the Detroit Lions regarding the availability of receiver Roy Williams, who has been the subject of trade talk for months.

Boysboy

Reaction score
The Niners are the new Commanders-wouldn't surprise me if they give up their entire '09 draft to get both of those guys.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Boysboy;2317853 said:
The Niners are the new Commanders-wouldn't surprise me if they give up their entire '09 draft to get both of those guys.
First I have heard he is a UFA after this year or any trade rumors.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Let the 49ers have him. And RW.
Better there than in the NFC east.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Football's Future

Roy Williams, UFA, Detroit Lions
It is hard to imagine that the Lions will let Williams leave town. Of three first round receiver selections, he is the only on that has paid off. Injuries have slowed him and caused him to miss time in his four seasons, but his athleticism and talent have helped him become a significant offensive threat. He should reach 4,000 career receiving yards in ’08 and he will look to stay healthy so that he can build upon his success. He is capable of over 1,300 receiving yards, as he proved in ’06, and he has scored 28 touchdowns in 55 games. If the Lions are unable to improve, Williams may find a team that will better compete with the rest of the league.

Lee Evans, UFA, Buffalo Bills
If a team wants downfield speed after this season, they can look no further than Lee Evans. Evans is undersized by current standards, but he has used his speed and hands to make up for any perceived lack of size. Evans caught 48 passes during each of his first two seasons in the league and had 16 total touchdowns. In his third season, Evans put himself on the map with 82 receptions and nearly 1,300 receiving yards, and after a slow start last season, he still got open for 55 receptions and over 800 yards. Ideally, a team would like to pair him with a larger possession type receiver while Evans stretches defenses with his speed. Buffalo hasn’t had the best help around Evans, so a new team could produce even better results.

Bobby Engram, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Engram likely won’t be the most desired receiver on the market next offseason, but he will provide a veteran option for team’s looking to add experience with their youth and others. Engram has an injury history that has caused him to miss a fair amount of time, but he’s been a solid receiver when healthy; he also seems to have good timing, as last season was the best of his career. His 94 receptions helped him rack up 1,147 yards and six touchdowns without a strong running game supporting the offense. Engram will miss the beginning of the upcoming season, but if he returns and can somewhat repeat his performance of last season, he should be well paid. He’ll likely wind up back in Seattle with his career much closer to the end than the beginning.

T.J. Houshmandzadeh, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
Now a Pro Bowl player, Houshmandzadeh is one of the league’s top receivers and arguably the best number two receiver along with the likes of Indianapolis’ Reggie Wayne. A seventh round selection, Houshmandzadeh will surpass 5,000 career receiving yards in ’08. Amazingly, he has increased his reception and touchdowns totals in each of his six seasons and is coming off of a league-leading 112 receptions with 12 touchdowns. Cincinnati is already having issues with number one receiver Chad Johnson, so losing Houshmandzadeh could be a major setback. Look for the Bengals to make every effort to retain and possibly promote Houshmanzadeh.

Desmond Clark, UFA, Chicago Bears Clark had the best numbers of the ’09 free agent tight end bunch in ’07, and while it will be difficult to do it again in ’08, he should do okay on the market. The Bears have ’07 first round tight end Greg Olsen waiting in the wings, so the chance of Clark staying in Chicago is extremely slim. Even with Olsen taking reps, Clark had 44 receptions for 545 yards and four touchdowns. In ’06, he had over 600 yards and six touchdowns, proving that he can maintain a decent clip at this stage of his career. While he is now in his early 30s, he’s still going to wind up earning a starter role somewhere in the league

Other Wide Receivers
Hank Baskett, RFA, Philadelphia Eagles
Jabar Gaffney, UFA, New England Patriots
Dante' Hall, UFA, St. Louis Rams
Devery Henderson, UFA, New Orleans Saints
Sam Hurd, UFA, Dallas Cowboys
Brandon Jones, UFA, Tennessee Titans
Ashley Lelie, UFA, San Francisco 49ers
Shaun McDonald, UFA, Detroit Lions
Koren Robinson, UFA, Green Bay Packers
Amani Toomer, UFA, New York Giants
Roydell Williams, UFA, Tennessee Titans
Cedrick Wilson, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Big Dakota;2317892 said:
Football's Future

It is hard to imagine that the Lions will let Williams leave town. Of three first round receiver selections, he is the only on that has paid off. Injuries have slowed him and caused him to miss time in his four seasons, but his athleticism and talent have helped him become a significant offensive threat. He should reach 4,000 career receiving yards in ’08 and he will look to stay healthy so that he can build upon his success. He is capable of over 1,300 receiving yards, as he proved in ’06, and he has scored 28 touchdowns in 55 games. If the Lions are unable to improve, Williams may find a team that will better compete with the rest of the league.

If a team wants downfield speed after this season, they can look no further than Lee Evans. Evans is undersized by current standards, but he has used his speed and hands to make up for any perceived lack of size. Evans caught 48 passes during each of his first two seasons in the league and had 16 total touchdowns. In his third season, Evans put himself on the map with 82 receptions and nearly 1,300 receiving yards, and after a slow start last season, he still got open for 55 receptions and over 800 yards. Ideally, a team would like to pair him with a larger possession type receiver while Evans stretches defenses with his speed. Buffalo hasn’t had the best help around Evans, so a new team could produce even better results.

Engram likely won’t be the most desired receiver on the market next offseason, but he will provide a veteran option for team’s looking to add experience with their youth and others. Engram has an injury history that has caused him to miss a fair amount of time, but he’s been a solid receiver when healthy; he also seems to have good timing, as last season was the best of his career. His 94 receptions helped him rack up 1,147 yards and six touchdowns without a strong running game supporting the offense. Engram will miss the beginning of the upcoming season, but if he returns and can somewhat repeat his performance of last season, he should be well paid. He’ll likely wind up back in Seattle with his career much closer to the end than the beginning.

Now a Pro Bowl player, Houshmandzadeh is one of the league’s top receivers and arguably the best number two receiver along with the likes of Indianapolis’ Reggie Wayne. A seventh round selection, Houshmandzadeh will surpass 5,000 career receiving yards in ’08. Amazingly, he has increased his reception and touchdowns totals in each of his six seasons and is coming off of a league-leading 112 receptions with 12 touchdowns. Cincinnati is already having issues with number one receiver Chad Johnson, so losing Houshmandzadeh could be a major setback. Look for the Bengals to make every effort to retain and possibly promote Houshmanzadeh.

Desmond Clark, UFA, Chicago Bears Clark had the best numbers of the ’09 free agent tight end bunch in ’07, and while it will be difficult to do it again in ’08, he should do okay on the market. The Bears have ’07 first round tight end Greg Olsen waiting in the wings, so the chance of Clark staying in Chicago is extremely slim. Even with Olsen taking reps, Clark had 44 receptions for 545 yards and four touchdowns. In ’06, he had over 600 yards and six touchdowns, proving that he can maintain a decent clip at this stage of his career. While he is now in his early 30s, he’s still going to wind up earning a starter role somewhere in the league

Other Wide Receivers
Hank Baskett, RFA, Philadelphia Eagles
Jabar Gaffney, UFA, New England Patriots
Dante' Hall, UFA, St. Louis Rams
Devery Henderson, UFA, New Orleans Saints
Sam Hurd, UFA, Dallas Cowboys
Brandon Jones, UFA, Tennessee Titans
Ashley Lelie, UFA, San Francisco 49ers
Shaun McDonald, UFA, Detroit Lions
Koren Robinson, UFA, Green Bay Packers
Amani Toomer, UFA, New York Giants
Roydell Williams, UFA, Tennessee Titans
Cedrick Wilson, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers

That list is out dated. Evans signed a new 4 year extention with the Bills just last week.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
theebs;2317908 said:
Owens for TJ?

I am all for it.

I really hope that was a joke.

I do wonder if Jerry will make any sort of attempt to snag TJ though. That would be an even better option, that Roy, at the other WR spot. I certainly wouldn't be unhappy with TJ in a Cowboys uniform.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Big Dakota;2317892 said:
Football's Future

I believe that Evans signed an extension this week, so that would rule him out. I don't believe that Engram would be a help with what most fans are looking for in a WR.

Housh would be an asset in the term of working with TO, I also think he'd be a very good asset at the point that TO does finally hang up the cleats. The thing that I found interesting is that I've heard that TJ and the bungals are not having any sort of dialogue. In fact, I believe I had heard that he definitely does not want to re-sign with Cincy.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
It wasnt. Owens and clevelands 3 for TJ and Chatman!!!!!

Just think Every play could go to owens.

Imagine palmer having to deal with henry, owens and johnson!!!!!!!!

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
theebs;2317915 said:
It wasnt. Owens and clevelands 3 for TJ and Chatman!!!!!

Just think Every play could go to owens.

Imagine palmer having to deal with henry, owens and johnson!!!!!!!!

I'd rather not because I don't like any trade discussion that has Owens leaving. That doesn't really help our situation to ship Owens out. Then you'd have TJ, whose awesome, but he'd simply get the treatment Owens is with double and triple coverage cause he wouldn't have the guy you need on the other side to take the coverage off him routinely.

Not to mention that whole pesky contract thing where we extended Owens, and gave him a bonus, thus making it (not that it would be considered anyway) something that would have no shot of ever happening, no matter who the trade was for cause we're not going to just eat the cap space that would be required for his bonus.

First Barber and now Owens. Are there really that many people out there that don't understand the fact that with those new deals, and bonuses, that it would effect the cap to try and move them?

MONT17

Reaction score
The 9ers? Wow I guess Jerry is right if u can't draftem u better trade for em!

Big Dakota

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2317905 said:
That list is out dated. Evans signed a new 4 year extention with the Bills just last week.

OK, you have a brain, cross him off.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
I believe that Evans just cut a new dwal so his name is off the list. OF those remaining Roy Williams still is at the top of my list. TJ Housmanwhatever is an interesting prospect and I would not be upset if he came here but he is a possession type guy and not the speedy deep threat that I am hoping for. The truth is that there are not many on that list that get me excited. I do like Henderson from NO though. I'm not sure how fast he is he does seem to get deep on a fairly regular basis.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Big Dakota;2317922 said:
OK, you have a brain, cross him off.

I wasn't saying that to indicate that you needed to run out and get a new list. I was just pointing out, in case there were people who didn't notice it, that Evans wouldn't be an option off that list. The rest of the list is probably just fine for all I know.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2317928 said:
I wasn't saying that to indicate that you needed to run out and get a new list. I was just pointing out, in case there were people who didn't notice it, that Evans wouldn't be an option off that list. The rest of the list is probably just fine for all I know.

Point well taken. :bow:

I just watchted the debate, it makes me want to fight;);)

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2317920 said:
I'd rather not because I don't like any trade discussion that has Owens leaving. That doesn't really help our situation to ship Owens out. Then you'd have TJ, whose awesome, but he'd simply get the treatment Owens is with double and triple coverage cause he wouldn't have the guy you need on the other side to take the coverage off him routinely.

Not to mention that whole pesky contract thing where we extended Owens, and gave him a bonus, thus making it (not that it would be considered anyway) something that would have no shot of ever happening, no matter who the trade was for cause we're not going to just eat the cap space that would be required for his bonus.

First Barber and now Owens. Are there really that many people out there that don't understand the fact that with those new deals, and bonuses, that it would effect the cap to try and move them?

Howbout pacman and owens for TJ?