How’s this for a great secondary?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We talk quite a bit around here about how long we’ve needed some major help in the secondary. I’m old enough to remember what is easily the greatest secondary in Dallas Cowboys history. In fact, this group unbelievably included 3 NFL HOFers.

Between 1970-72, the Cowboys secondary was manned by HOF CBs Mel Renfro and Herb Adderly, and HOF Free Safety Cliff “Captain Crash” Harris, and 4 time All Pro SS Cornell Green, who should at the very least be in the ROH. (Green btw, never missed a single game for 13 straight seasons. One of the toughest Cowboys to ever wear the Star)

Those guys had a whopping 163 interceptions between them. Absolute greatness. Sometimes we forget how many absolutely great players this franchise has had.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I miss the days of Cliff Harris, Charlie Waters, etc. Those were the players I admired most when I first became a Cowboy F.F.L.

The current players just don't get the same level of admiration I had as a youth. Maybe it was my age, I guess.

Last edited:

cowboyec

Reaction score
greatest secondary of all-time.
☆most under-rated:cornell green.
all-pro...pro bowler at both cb AND s.
☆best player:mel renfro...pound for pound greatest db in our history and the game.
☆herb adderly:for my money...one of the greatest outside hires we made.
especially in big games.
☆cliff harris:greatest safety ever.
:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
We talk quite a bit around here about how long we’ve needed some major help in the secondary. I’m old enough to remember what is easily the greatest secondary in Dallas Cowboys history. In fact, this group unbelievably included 3 NFL HOFers.

Between 1970-72, the Cowboys secondary was manned by HOF CBs Mel Renfro and Herb Adderly, and HOF Free Safety Cliff “Captain Crash” Harris, and 4 time All Pro SS Cornell Green, who should at the very least be in the ROH. (Green btw, never missed a single game for 13 straight seasons. One of the toughest Cowboys to ever wear the Star)

Those guys had a whopping 163 interceptions between them. Absolute greatness. Sometimes we forget how many absolutely great players this franchise has had.
Doomsday defense was outstanding

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I haven’t looked it up- but would be difficult I’m sure, to find a secondary with those kind of INT numbers. I realize the game was different than today.

But I’m also amazed at how tough these guys were. The game was much more physical than today (and it’s physical today) yet a guy like Cornell Green, who hit like a freight train, went 13 years without missing a single game.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
and 4 time All Pro SS Cornell Green, who should at the very least be in the ROH. (Green btw, never missed a single game for 13 straight seasons. One of the toughest Cowboys to ever wear the Star)
Not just yes, but heck yes. Remember that Cornell Green never even played football in college. He was a basketball player and one of the remarkable finds that the organization regularly dug up out of nowhere Back when we had smart football people in charge of the organization.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not just yes, but heck yes. Remember that Cornell Green never even played football in college. He was a basketball player and one of the remarkable finds that the organization regularly dug up out of nowhere Back when we had smart football people in charge of the organization.
Yeah Cornell Green was an All-Western Athletic Conference Basketball Player at Utah State. You know- the prototype for an NFL All Pro Safety! Lol! Green was a great athlete and one of many players Gil Brandt discovered in his HOF career as a player personnel director.