How about Suh for a 1 year deal 14 million like he did the rams?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have wondered if he would be interested in one of the 330+ guys that have great quickness.
I’ll bet he would. I think he wants guys who can get into the offensive backfield and disrupt things, and the focus on smaller DTs is more from that being easier to find with smaller players.

Sydla

Reaction score
0 production for 17 games Only showed up in playoffs & where do we get said 14 mil

We have 19MM in cap space right now and that includes Lawrence's cap hit of $20MM for the tag and Cooper's cap hit of over $14MM.

With long term deals you could add another $8-10MM in cap space.

If the Cowboys wanted to, they could easily sign Suh to a one year $14MM deal. Frankly, I am not sure he's going to get a number that big anyway. If his market continues to be soft, I would absolutely consider him on a one year deal if the price tag fell below $10MM.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I simply never get these answers.

Someone suggests signing a vet on a one year deal and people start saying we can't do it, we have to sign our own guys.

Signing a guy to a one year deal wouldn't really hinder our ability to sign our guys if we want to. Shoot, signing Lawrence and Cooper would likely increase our cap space this year.
Ok then no. Because I don’t like him, unless Marinelli can get fired up without him getting suspended for stomping on someone’s arm or leg.

Sydla

Reaction score
Ok then no. Because I don’t like him, unless Marinelli can get fired up without him getting suspended for stomping on someone’s arm or leg.

That makes more sense than saying we can't sign him because of the cap and not being able to sign our players if we do sign him to a one year deal.

glimmerman

Reaction score
That makes more sense than saying we can't sign him because of the cap and not being able to sign our players if we do sign him to a one year deal.
I think next year might be the year we make a bigger splash.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Why would you want an OLB with our first pick in the draft?

Because D'Andre Walker would complete our LB in my view. He is a monster of a linebacker. I picture us with him, Jaylon, and LVE. Lee will play occasionally, but Walker completes our LBers by giving us 3 beasts at LB.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I'd rather go with Sheldon and Peko than Suh. They'd be cheaper combined than Suh, and I think they'd be excellent for our defence. Then, I'd get D'Anthony Walker (OLB Georgia), Ximines (DE Old Dominion), and Tell (S USC) with our first 3 picks.
Suh would prove invaluable to us, were we pursuing the quested accumulation of greatest number of untimely yellow flag zebra awards
:thumbup: o_O

I don’t think it’s the size as much as the quickness and the ability to penetrate and get into the backfield. If he could find a 350 pound guy with Aaron Donald quickness he would probably have to change his shorts
WoW! a 350 lb. 1 tech possessing unpredictable lightening strike like efforted speed ,Manning his post in the middle of OUR D.L. ? ? ?
You could color me long gone giddy down south& if you'd be gracious enuff to shove a sweet potato pie,,,er:huh:,,,into MY pie hole, in the meanwhile?,,,I'd be guaranteed to shut my mouth,,,as that fantasy conceptualization flat-out shivers me timbers,,,er,,,two:thumbup:

Sydla

Reaction score
Because D'Andre Walker would complete our LB in my view. He is a monster of a linebacker. I picture us with him, Jaylon, and LVE. Lee will play occasionally, but Walker completes our LBers by giving us 3 beasts at LB.

But the problem is the 3rd LB doesn't even play all that much as he comes off the field a lot since we play a lot of nickel D. Wilson was our SAM LB last year and he only was on the field for 25% of the snaps. Factor in Lee took some snaps from him when he came back it's likely our SAM LB only plays 30-35% of the snaps.

There's no value in using a 2nd round pick on a LB that will play roughly a third of the time. Plus, isn't one of his best attributes the ability to rush the passer? We don't blitz all that much so we probably wouldn't even really get the most out of him anyway.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
But the problem is the 3rd LB doesn't even play all that much as he comes off the field a lot since we play a lot of nickel D. Wilson was our SAM LB last year and he only was on the field for 25% of the snaps. Factor in Lee took some snaps from him when he came back it's likely our SAM LB only plays 30-35% of the snaps.

There's no value in using a 2nd round pick on a LB that will play roughly a third of the time. Plus, isn't one of his best attributes the ability to rush the passer? We don't blitz all that much so we probably wouldn't even really get the most out of him anyway.

Oh, I thought we were a 4-3. Thus, loading a 3rd powerful LB would be massive. Very well, in that case, Zach Allen DE Boston College is my choice at 58 followed by the chap that plays DT for Western Illinois.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Like suh but not a fan of paying 14 mil to a player that takes plays off

How bout games off? Suh might be the most dominant DT in terms of all aspects of the DT position but he only plays when he wants to, seems like. I wanted Suh very badly coming out. Now, I'm not so sure he wants to be an every down player. We could sure use a guy like that but I just don't know if he wants to play that hard?

Sydla

Reaction score
Oh, I thought we were a 4-3. Thus, loading a 3rd powerful LB would be massive. Very well, in that case, Zach Allen DE Boston College is my choice at 58 followed by the chap that plays DT for Western Illinois.

We are a base 4-3 but in today's game with more passing, teams are playing a lot of nickel and dime defense. Not many teams put a lot of value or resources into the 3rd LB.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
We are a base 4-3 but in today's game with more passing, teams are playing a lot of nickel and dime defense. Not many teams put a lot of value or resources into the 3rd LB.

Ah, fair enough. Well, then I suppose Zach Allen would be the logical choice at 58 since he's an excellent DE.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s the size as much as the quickness and the ability to penetrate and get into the backfield. If he could find a 350 pound guy with Aaron Donald quickness he would probably have to change his shorts

Weren't we going to draft Vita Vea last year if he had still been on the board? There was a lot of talk of that by the TV analysts on the day of the draft.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Weren't we going to draft Vita Vea last year if he had still been on the board? There was a lot of talk of that by the TV analysts on the day of the draft.

They see what we all see. But we will never know if Vita would have been the pick. I mean, the team pretty much said all along that they targeted that Viking Kid.

:laugh:

Kaiser

Reaction score
They see what we all see. But we will never know if Vita would have been the pick. I mean, the team pretty much said all along that they targeted that Viking Kid.

And thank God we did! The thing that still stands out to me about LVE was Troy Aikman saying in the second half that LVE was going to be one of the "all time great LBs". That blew me away.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Signing Suh (or frankly anyone) on a one year deal doesn't preclude you from signing Lawrence and Cooper and Zeke and Dak going forward.

If it's a large deal, like $14M it abolsutely can hinder you from signing your guys.
That's $14M of cap space that isn't available and it's $14M of cap space that won't be rolled over into next year's CAP.

If we aren't counting on that $14M of cap roll over to sign our guys then it without a doubt can hinder you, absolutely no question.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I'd love to see Suh on our defensive line. He commands a double not all the time but alot of the time. He helped the rams stop our running attack. Just think about what he would add to our defense. The way the rams knocked our tackles back in that playoff game wouldn't happen ever with suh. He is one of the most powerful players in the league not just on defense. You put him in front of a Jaylon Smith and LVE and our defense just got so much tougher. Add a Robert Quinn who I'm willing to bet will turn it up under Marinelli and our defense will be better than last season. I'd like to know what people think about adding Suh for a one year deal what do you guys say

I loved watching him play for Nebraska, but I've soured on him in the NFL. He's done some of the worst and dirty cheap shots in the history of the NFL. He could be helping the team do great and then get his sorry worthless bohiney suspended several games for dirty playing. He's a risk.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
And thank God we did! The thing that still stands out to me about LVE was Troy Aikman saying in the second half that LVE was going to be one of the "all time great LBs". That blew me away.

I'm pleased that we got him as well but listen, that Big Boy could still turn into the dominant Defensive Force in the League in a few years. Hard to argue with the pick though.