How about trade down

cnuball21

Reaction score
Cooper is not a speed threat, and that's not what he does best anyway, so asking him to be a burner is undermining his skill set. The speed guy in the top 20 allows Cooper, Gallup, Jarwin and the run game to operate better, because it forces defense to deploy a safety over it. NFL offenses today are numbers game, and you need players to dictate that - speed in particular.

This just isn't how it usually plays out, especially for corners. There are like 5 difference-making corners in the NFL. Fulton isn't going to be one of them, and I really doubt even Henderson will. There is really no difference between a #2 and #3 corner, b/c of how much nickel teams play, and how few passes are thrown out of 2 WR sets. The difference between a high #2 and low #2 is basically non-existent. Chido was a high #2 last year and would have been a #1 on a lot of teams, but it's not like he's a game changer.

Cooper wins as an elite route runner, but he can run and has very solid speed. He was a low 4.4 guy coming out and when he gets open down the field he doesn't get caught and can hit home runs we just need to give him more of those routes.

I understand what the speed guy does for the rest of the offense, I just think it's a terrible idea to take him in the top 20.

And disagree in that there isn't a difference between a #2 or #3 CB. You mentioned taking advantage of and exploiting matchups quite a bit, so do you not think offensive opponents aren't studying film and knowing which CBs to target? If CB #3's completion percentage against is 10% higher and his QBR against is 20 points higher which one do you think the opposing team is going to target?

cnuball21

Reaction score
I agree w/ your 2nd paragraph.

Problem is, we're simply not going to advance in the playoffs until we fix our D. And that starts up front. Poe and McCoy are a nice start, but they are bandages.

Speed WR's can almost always be found in the mid rounds. Reagor, Aiyuk, Hamler, Hightower, Jeff Thomas, there's a bunch of guys this year who can fly, no need to look for your deep guy in the 1st. That's generally a waste of resources.

100%. Maybe not the same speed as Ruggs, but there are guys with great game speed that can be had a full round later and even beyond.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Cooper wins as an elite route runner, but he can run and has very solid speed. He was a low 4.4 guy coming out and when he gets open down the field he doesn't get caught and can hit home runs we just need to give him more of those routes.

I understand what the speed guy does for the rest of the offense, I just think it's a terrible idea to take him in the top 20.

And disagree in that there isn't a difference between a #2 or #3 CB. You mentioned taking advantage of and exploiting matchups quite a bit, so do you not think offensive opponents aren't studying film and knowing which CBs to target? If CB #3's completion percentage against is 10% higher and his QBR against is 20 points higher which one do you think the opposing team is going to target?
Well you get those guys in the top-20...especially prospects as good as Ruggs. You don't get the same thing with, say, Hamler, b/c he can't actually catch the ball. And with the way the league is going, there's going to be a greater emphasis on speed at WR than ever.

They go by which matchup a WR will win, doesn't matter what the CBs do. If CB 2 has a comp% of 55 and CB3 is 50, it doesn't matter. The vast majority of these guys are one completion or two away from being exactly the same.

kskboys

Reaction score
100%. Maybe not the same speed as Ruggs, but there are guys with great game speed that can be had a full round later and even beyond.
I don't think most realize that speed threats generally catch about 30 passes or so. Ginn, there's one. They see Julio Jones or Tyreek Hill on the highlights and think the league is littered w/ deep threats who are also high volume receivers. There's only a very few of those, and wasting a high pick on them as MIA did w/ Ginn(9th overall) is generally foolish.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well you get those guys in the top-20...especially prospects as good as Ruggs. You don't get the same thing with, say, Hamler, b/c he can't actually catch the ball. And with the way the league is going, there's going to be a greater emphasis on speed at WR than ever.

They go by which matchup a WR will win, doesn't matter what the CBs do. If CB 2 has a comp% of 55 and CB3 is 50, it doesn't matter. The vast majority of these guys are one completion or two away from being exactly the same.
And KC still had to win w/ D. The teams who wasted first rounders on speed threats generally regret it.

cnuball21

Reaction score

I"m not a fan of Hamler, so that's a bad comparison, but that's besides the point. Disagree again X2. Obviously we see this way differently which is fine.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I don't think most realize that speed threats generally catch about 30 passes or so. Ginn, there's one. They see Julio Jones or Tyreek Hill on the highlights and think the league is littered w/ deep threats who are also high volume receivers. There's only a very few of those, and wasting a high pick on them as MIA did w/ Ginn(9th overall) is generally foolish.

If you look back at the list of speed guys taken in the 1st that have either under produced or been injured a lot it's gross. The hit rate is very small. Big reason I want nothing to do with a guy like Ruggs in the top 20.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I guess it just depends on how serious the injury was in relation to long term effects. I honestly have no idea what the team knew so can’t say.

the neck injury was discussed by multiple sources pre draft.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
I'd love it if we could trade down for an extra 2nd or 3rd. I'd take Gladney or Gallimore and be happy with that.