How am I supposed to feel about this draft?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Agreed.

They at least acknowledged there's an issue.

What is better? We've yet to see any games and, "what they did last year," was part of their historically poor showing.
It can take some time to rebuild a defense....I like what they’ve done in 2 offseasons and for a team that took a receiver in the first last year they have done much better at fixing this defense then I expected.

RS12

Reaction score
I am not a super fan so you need to draw your own conclusions. I myself am in major wait and see mode.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
My daughter got married this weekend and as a result, I didn’t see much of the draft. I caught the first round and that is about it.

I see several different schools of thought going on here, which are lumped into a few categories:

1. The Cheerleaders. Every pick was wonderful. Home Run.

Me:
That’s doubtful, but OK

2. The Cowboys suck. Jerry never does anything right. I have never heard of any of these guys. They must suck because I haven’t heard of them.

Me: You didn’t know about any NFL players at some point in time.

Also me:

On the other hand it IS frustrating as hell when the Cowboys pick a no name player over a guy everyone has heard of and expects to be a hit, and later on the no name gets cut, while the named player does what we expected him to do—succeed.

3. I love the fact that we addressed defense with almost every pick, our defense sucked last year.

Me: Hmm. What are the odds that a defender was the best player available at each of the first seven picks. Not likely. I smell reach.

4. The Cowboys draft totally sucks.

Me: Shouldn’t we at least wait to see what comes from this draft class before we declare it a bust?

5. I LOVE THE PARSONS PICK.

Me: Slater WAS on the board. He was also highly ranked. The talking heads and most people on the board had him rated higher. CW sucks. What happens when CW yells “Ole’” and Dak is out the rest of the year. Can Parsons play T or G?

I’m partly poking fun here. I knew that this year the ratings of the players would be more diverse than ever because of the opt outs and the limited playing time some players had. But it doesn’t make me feel any better that most of the players we picked in 2-4 screamed reach.

I guess its a wait and see game, as it always is, but I feel pretty uneasy about the 3rd round picks especially. We passed on what seem like really good players to draft some people I haven’t heard much about. I hope the Cowboys know a lot more than I am worried that they know.
I think there was a method to the madness. The defense has been soft, for the most part; not just bad... soft. Lots of "aw shucks, pa" Opie Taylors out there.

Micah Parsons and Bossman Fat are not soft players. Same can be said for the 3rd round guys. They picked some big hitters and edgier personalities.

That is a gamble. But the Sean Lees of the world are rare. Many edgy players also tend to be edgy people -- guys with a chip on their shoulder.

The Cowboys want to get faster, for sure. But they also want to be an edgier, nastier defense. They picked some guys with a little attitude.

Haimerej

Reaction score
It can take some time to rebuild a defense....I like what they’ve done in 2 offseasons and for a team that took a receiver in the first last year they have done much better at fixing this defense then I expected.

What do you like? Did you expect a rebuild?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The draft alone isn't going to lift this team out of the wild card round of the playoffs. We need all hands on deck.. Vets, coaches AND the draft picks to click. If they do, we'll have a great season.. If they don't we'll be 9-8 and MAYBE win this putrid division but no better than that.

waving monkey

Reaction score
My daughter got married this weekend and as a result, I didn’t see much of the draft. I caught the first round and that is about it.

I see several different schools of thought going on here, which are lumped into a few categories:

its a wait and see you are correct
Me:
That’s doubtful, but OK

2. The Cowboys suck. Jerry never does anything right. I have never heard of any of these guys. They must suck because I haven’t heard of them.

Also me:

On the other hand it IS frustrating as hell when the Cowboys pick a no name player over a guy everyone has heard of and expects to be a hit, and later on the no name gets cut, while the named player does what we expected him to do—succeed.

3. I love the fact that we addressed defense with almost every pick, our defense sucked last year.

Me: Hmm. What are the odds that a defender was the best player available at each of the first seven picks. Not likely. I smell reach.

Me: Shouldn’t we at least wait to see what comes from this draft class before we declare it a bust?

Me: Slater WAS on the board. He was also highly ranked. The talking heads and most people on the board had him rated higher. CW sucks. What happens when CW yells “Ole’” and Dak is out the rest of the year. Can Parsons play T or G?

I’m partly poking fun here. I knew that this year the ratings of the players would be more diverse than ever because of the opt outs and the limited playing time some players had. But it doesn’t make me feel any better that most of the players we picked in 2-4 screamed reach.

I guess its a wait and see game, as it always is, but I feel pretty uneasy about the 3rd round picks especially. We passed on what seem like really good players to draft some people I haven’t heard much about. I hope the Cowboys know a lot more than I am worried that they know.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Me:
That’s doubtful, but OK

Also me:

considering where we drafted and how many extra picks we had in third and 4th this draft was very disappointing. Jerry blew it. Hopefully we get two good starters out of it.

Maverick84

Reaction score
The draft alone isn't going to lift this team out of the wild card round of the playoffs. We need all hands on deck.. Vets, coaches AND the draft picks to click. If they do, we'll have a great season.. If they don't we'll be 9-8 and MAYBE win this putrid division but no better than that.
9-8?? you mean 8.5 and 8.5 bruh

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I try to stay even-keel about every draft because you never know what the end results will be.

I was thinking about the year we drafted Taco. Most everyone did not like that pick, at least not over Watt, and it turned out we were correct. That may make us think that we know better than this team.

However, I believe there was a lot of praise for the team taking Awuzie, Lewis and Xavier Woods, even Ryan Switzer and Noah Brown were considered good picks for when they were taken, I believe. None of those really turned out to be great picks. Although they were better than Ivie, White and Carrell, who were panned.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How am I supposed to feel about this draft?
raw