How am I supposed to feel about this draft?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Verdict, May 2, 2021.

1. CowboyoWales

CowboyoWales Well-Known Member

1,198 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    Argh, you're playing the classical Cowboys way of drafting.....pick the name not the player.

2. underdark

underdark Well-Known Member

1,246 Messages
    909 Likes Received
    Hopeful for a dominating offense and a super young, tall, fast defense that tries to make up for giving up run yards and some big plays by creating turnovers.

3. cowboyec

cowboyec Well-Known Member

24,513 Messages
    29,358 Likes Received
    i'm not gonna pretend i didn't like rashawn slater because i did.
    but i'm not so sure he was the better player over micah parsons.
    i never said anything about parsons pre-draft because there was nothing....no pre-draft buzz...that indicated we were interested.
    i loved him...but didn't think they did as much as me.
    so i figured it was corner or slater because thats all we heard.
    i'm glad i was wrong.
    i think parsons is a helluva player.
    and i think he was the right pick.

i didnt mind the defense heavy picks early...im glad we got 2 ol...but im not gonna pretend i know who the hell they are.
    i dont.
    i wouldve prefered alaric jackson over ball...and deonte brown earlier.
    but jackson went undrafted.
    brown slid all the way to the 5th.
    which reminds me why i clean toilets instead of scout players.
    but we are winning the super bowl.

Techsass, Typhus and CowboyoWales like this.
  4. CowboyoWales

1,198 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    We were never going to go DT with the second pick, after drafting Parsons.... so that takes out Barmore and McNeil.

I remember hearing a lot of rumors that we looked to trade up on day 1 and couldnt get a deal.....so probably a) teams wanted the S and were aware of the potential run at the beginning of the second day or 2) the trading price was too high...especially for a team that valued it's picks to address the extensive holes.

5. Cowboy Lover

Cowboy Lover Well-Known Member

4,466 Messages
    2,432 Likes Received
    Yep. DEFENSE!

"My plan" was to give the defense 2-3 studs, and 2-3 JAGs. NO "projects". (hurt/didn't play last year/headcase/etc). Kind of a bad year for such wishful thinking (as pointed out to me, thanks!) . But...we gave the defense some bodies...hopefully we get 2-3 "players". And pick up some trade/FAs?

rocyaice likes this.
  6. CowboyoWales

1,198 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    So you wanted names that you've at least heard of?

7. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

23,010 Messages
    16,567 Likes Received
    I can understand the Cowboys’ unwillingness to package multiple third round picks to move up. They are premium picks and you would expect that they would get premium players with those picks.

But I am a little bit surprised that they didn’t use a 4th or 5th round pick to move up a little bit in the 3rd round. Of course Cox is a name we all know so maybe it’s better that they didn’t move up with a 4th round pick.

The Cowboys seem super confident that they had a plan and implemented it. I’m not certain that they did the right thing. On the other hand I’m not sure they didn’t do the right thing.

Maybe this is a hall of fame draft class of the ages. Or maybe it’s the 2009 draft all over again. I won’t be surprised either way. But I will say this—if we wasted this draft class and all the ammo we had on hand, it’s going to be seriously disheartening to the fan base. Time will tell which it is.

CowboyoWales likes this.
  8. CowboyoWales

1,198 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    Good post. I would say that this draft is more of a crapshoot and it may be prudent to have the quantity of picks.
    As you say it may work, it may not, but at least we changed up from the normal which with what we had on Defense was possibly needed.

9. Cowboy Lover

4,466 Messages
    2,432 Likes Received
    Ha...that actually wouldn't be very many. I;d have to rely on the zone to tell me how to feel about them. :p

10. Cowboy Lover

4,466 Messages
    2,432 Likes Received

So you are saying it could be a bust...or a boom? :rolleyes:

11. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

44,050 Messages
    36,956 Likes Received
    Man....I think this might be it.....they've already added about 12-13 guys on defense haven't they? Well that's including some of these draft picks...I think Basham and Urban is the most they are gonna do on defensive line. Then they went linebacker and DB heavy in the draft....

Cowboy Lover likes this.
  12. charron

charron Well-Known Member

7,578 Messages
    7,894 Likes Received
    Not all of these players will make the team but they all should help push the current group to do better.

Cowboy Lover and rocyaice like this.
  13. rocyaice

44,050 Messages
    36,956 Likes Received
    Exactly.

And last year was one of those drafts....It just shockingly fell the way fans did.....

But this draft was different. This draft had direction. This draft needed to find players to fit what Quinn wants to do.

I'm with you on Keldon I don't are that he wants to rap. To use that as a reason he should fall or to insinuate he doesn't like football is silly. To me that's someone looking for a flaw in him. Tom Brady has other investments that never get questioned. It doesn't stop him from prepping for games on Sunday.

90% of the infatuation people have in Moehrig is he was somewhat a name that fell. Same goes for Barmore.....this level of talent is available in the draft every single year.

CowboyoWales likes this.
  14. rocyaice

44,050 Messages
    36,956 Likes Received
    I wonder who does make this team though...hate this time of the year because every draft I see all of these guys making the roster and they never do lol.

charron likes this.
  15. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

6,267 Messages
    4,275 Likes Received
    If we make the playoffs you should feel great. If we don't you should feel disappointed.

16. charron

charron Well-Known Member

7,578 Messages
    7,894 Likes Received

Should make for a fun camp. I stopped buying into all the hype, even camp hype. Show me on the field and no doing it half speed when the defense can't hit full throttle means nothing. Gotta see if vs others fighting for their jobs too.

rocyaice likes this.
  17. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

24,197 Messages
    47,251 Likes Received
    Congratulations to you and your daughter.

I've seen sports sites rate our draft anywhere from A+ to C-, so I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle: B. Of course we have the extremes represented most loudly here, as is usually the case.

Verdict likes this.
  18. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

23,010 Messages
    16,567 Likes Received
    I think Barmore and Moerig were probably pimped a bit too much. Slater may have also fallen into this category to a lesser degree as well.

rocyaice likes this.
  19. rocyaice

44,050 Messages
    36,956 Likes Received
    Yeah I didn't understand the Slater thing. Mostly because it was a rather deep tackle class or it seemed like one anyway. I don't look at Slater as making a immediate impact sure he could've played guard but I expect good guard play next season whether its McGovern or Williams.

20. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

30,470 Messages
    52,893 Likes Received
    I stopped reading after "My daughter got married this weekend and as a result, I didn’t see much of the draft". Oh Verdict, how could you???

It's not your fault. I blame your daughter for scheduling it on Draft Day. That's the problem with young people today, it's all about them!

Congrats, much more important than some silly old draft. Oh maybe not much more, just more.

You were the lucky one, you got to see your daughter on the happiest day of her life. We got to see the Jones family in the boardroom and they didn't even give us a shot of the buffet they set up for McCarthy.

Verdict likes this.