How big is Connor Williams really?

Wood

Reaction score
In at least 3 of the Cowboys losses, the failure to the offensive line blocking, particularly in the running game was at least partly responsible. Inevitably, we all seem to blame Connor Williams first. Some of the blame is deserved but not all of it. The entire line is failing. Against the Jet, even Zack Martin got pushed around.

But Williams intrigues me. He is a second year guy who was highly touted when he entered the draft. Reading the pre-draft reviews of Williams almost no one thought he would fail at the NFL level. Many reviews described him as having a meanness about his game and videos of Williams bullying smaller defensive ends to prove it. I haven't seen any of that at the NFL level yet. He had a 3.7 GPA so he is no dummy and was athletic enough to play LT for UT. That's something, isn't it? Some drafniks had Williamm going in the 1st 20 picks. Some called him on of the best offensive linemen in the draft.

The first time I saw Williams in a Cowboys uniform, it struck me how small he looked next to the other Cowboys offensive linemen and some defensive linemen. His college measurements were 6'6" and 315 lbs. The Cowboys have him listed at 6'5", 320 lbs. But he still looks a little undersized to me for some reason. Some fans want to give up on him already. I get why, but I am not there yet. He is only 22 years old. He will grow stronger over the next couple years especially if he works hard at it, which apparently he does. I think once he gets stronger, we will see a return of his mean streak.

But still, he looks small to me. Does he look 6'5, 320 to anyone else?

I was surprised too first time I saw him in pads. Almost looked liked TE. I think he is average at OG. Maybe this off-season they can see if he can play LT and let him be swing tackle.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Connor William's should be a glorified Full back.. he has no business playing guard. The guy is weak and gets pushed around every game.

He does one thing well and that's block in the second level. Outside of that he's TRASH with all caps.

jnday

Reaction score
He's terrible at run blocking, which rules him out as an RT. He's really nothing more than a swing backup now.
Run blocking at the RT position does not involve the big DTs that the LG position faces every play.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
In at least 3 of the Cowboys losses, the failure to the offensive line blocking, particularly in the running game was at least partly responsible. Inevitably, we all seem to blame Connor Williams first. Some of the blame is deserved but not all of it. The entire line is failing. Against the Jet, even Zack Martin got pushed around.

But Williams intrigues me. He is a second year guy who was highly touted when he entered the draft. Reading the pre-draft reviews of Williams almost no one thought he would fail at the NFL level. Many reviews described him as having a meanness about his game and videos of Williams bullying smaller defensive ends to prove it. I haven't seen any of that at the NFL level yet. He had a 3.7 GPA so he is no dummy and was athletic enough to play LT for UT. That's something, isn't it? Some drafniks had Williamm going in the 1st 20 picks. Some called him on of the best offensive linemen in the draft.

The first time I saw Williams in a Cowboys uniform, it struck me how small he looked next to the other Cowboys offensive linemen and some defensive linemen. His college measurements were 6'6" and 315 lbs. The Cowboys have him listed at 6'5", 320 lbs. But he still looks a little undersized to me for some reason. Some fans want to give up on him already. I get why, but I am not there yet. He is only 22 years old. He will grow stronger over the next couple years especially if he works hard at it, which apparently he does. I think once he gets stronger, we will see a return of his mean streak.

I thinik he takes over LT when its time. He has very good footwork

Tussinman

Reaction score
I thinik he takes over LT when its time. He has very good footwork
But he has short arms and according to scouts can't handle explosive NFL caliber edge rushers (if anyone thought he even had a slight chance of becoming a franchise LT he would of never made it past the 1st round). RT would be arguably a worst fit because it's more run heavy.

It's a no win with him which is why I hate spending a fringe top 50 pick on a project. He has tackle footwork without tackle arms and tackle burst. He has a Guard build without guard strength or girth. There's no winning :(

Cowboys will do what they do with all there mediocre D-lineman and spin it as "oh he's a versatile player" (versatile = backup quality at multiple positions).

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Ben Bredeson 6"4' 325 from Michigan would definitely sure up that LG spot. Trade back in the first, pick up an extra pick, then draft Ben.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only poster here that's tire of the O'lines Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde routine.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Ben Bredeson 6"4' 325 from Michigan would definitely sure up that LG spot. Trade back in the first, pick up an extra pick, then draft Ben.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only poster here that's tire of the O'lines Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde routine.
He's the exact same size as McGregor who we just drafted. We just got unlucky because he got injured during training camp

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
He's the exact same size as McGregor who we just drafted. We just got unlucky because he got injured during training camp
McGovern was listed as 6'6" 306 when he was drafted. The left guard generally goes up against the bigger heavier DT on the defense. You need a bigger heavier body to constantly handle the bigger heavier DT.

Logic.

Tussinman

Reaction score
McGovern was listed as 6'6" 306 when he was drafted. The left guard generally goes up against the bigger heavier DT on the defense. You need a bigger heavier body to constantly handle the bigger heavier DT.

Logic.
Yeah no ****, I understand logic thanks :rolleyes:

I'll have to find the article but they had McGovern at just over 320lbs before he got injured in the offseason. Same size as Bredeson. There's a reason why most thought he was gonna take Williams job

johneric8

Reaction score

In regards to your original question in your post heading that read "How big is Conner Williams" I will just say that maybe you should ask his girlfriend.

CWR

Reaction score
Williams was small when he got here. Down to 296 at the Combine. A real measurement, unlike the random numbers generated for the Cowboys roster.

Last year he said he played at a "light 300". This year, supposedly came into camp at 315 and "noticeably bigger".
https://247sports.com/Article/Texas...owboys-training-camp-Jason-Garrett-134091946/

There were lots of stories about this. In some of the pictures, I think the consensus was a lot of that weight was upper body, and he still needed more sand in the pants. Which is fine and to be expected.

As you point out, he's young, still only 22. None of our great guys had an All Pro year until they were 24. He's still 22. I think he's been fine this year, and people are complaining about him out of habit from last year.

I bet he's beating Frederick at PFF so far this year. Collins is playing great, Tyron is looking healthy, and Zach is a stud playing a little off from injury. Nobody is a bum, and being the worst among these guys is no cause for shame on his part or panic on ours.

95% of fans dont watch the oline close enough to know how well he is playing. Self included. Ive seen clips of him doing a heck of a job this season and Ive seen whiffs. Ultimately I think he will grow into a very good player for us. For now though Im excited to see what XS can do for the run game.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
95% of fans dont watch the oline close enough to know how well he is playing. Self included. Ive seen clips of him doing a heck of a job this season and Ive seen whiffs. Ultimately I think he will grow into a very good player for us. For now though Im excited to see what XS can do for the run game.

The evidence on Williams improved play this year is that he's not habitually being singled out for a breakdown. For a LG, that's a sign of good play generally. Ts might get some positive air time for one on one pass blocking but Gs are generally ignored unless they screw up or get a nice open field block on a LB.

fansince68

Reaction score

Imho.....his size is not the problem. Stepnoski was an all pro playing sub 300 his entire career. C William's just looks lost out there. His technique is hit or miss. He's not ready. I wish Callihan was still here coaching our o line.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
According to this site http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=31020, Williams has given up 1 sack and been called for 4 penalties in 9 games this year. I think we miss him as a pass protector while he's out.

As a run blocker, he's still not strong enough at the point of attack but is good on the move (which he struggled with last year). He's an improving player.

If we can get better at the position, I'm all for it (and maybe Connor McGovern can eventually supply that), but it seems like we always need a scapegoat(s) after bad games.

Yes.

Filo is a nice run blocker but bad in pass protection. Williams is just not heavy enough to run block at times. And often he doesnt help seczring a block for fredricks before he gets up on the LBs.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I was surprised too first time I saw him in pads. Almost looked liked TE. I think he is average at OG.

Average starter in the middle of his second year with a middle of the 2nd round pick. Win.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Too many of us get into the habit of making assumptions as to what a player is or might be. Once we've committed ourselves to assumptions, pride makes it difficult to admit to being hasty in assuming as much. I think many of us would do well to hesitate in being hasty to find fault that might or might not be justified. At 22, Connor Williams is very young yet and has plenty of time on his side to develop more sufficiently. He's already worked very hard to get to the point that he has. His upper body shows it generously but his lower half still needs added time and hard work to catch up.

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
As I mentioned all offseason....

Nate Newton says the size that matters at guard is in your butt. All three upper body strength in the world doesn't matter is you don't have a huge butt and powerful legs.

All that upper body size everybody was ogling over was meaningless.

stinkface

Reaction score
He still lacks power and will most likely always lack power. If we hadn't signed Collin's to a long term deal he would be the RT next year.