How Big is Cowboys game tonight?

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the odds of this team going to the superbowl are really low any way this young team needs to win a game to help its confidence losing begats losing

Batman1980

Reaction score
You have Minnesota, Green Bay, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Carolina, St. Louis, maybe Washington and New Orleans too. So 0-2 ends the season before it really gets started and we're pretty much just playing for draft position.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
That’s correct. 12%. Here’s a link.

Good news is better teams can rebound like the 1993 defending SB champs. But lesser teams usually don’t.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-playoff-odds-after-0-2-start-2013-9

Looking ahead. Only 3 teams in NFL history have made the playoffs after starting 0-3.

I believe it. Toward the end of that report, they claim a good team stands a far better than 12% chance of a playoff appearance.

Nevertheless, I'm not overly encouraged by that revelation. I'm expecting our C'boys to be about an average team this season.

Last edited:

mahoneybill

Reaction score
0-2 would be a death knell on the season and 1 foot out the door for the 3 Stooges on our coaching staff.

in addition to a decline in game time viewership as even long time fans may resort to just recording the games, checking the scores instead of watching and then seeing if its worth watching the replay....

With the current " politics" over sports in many aspects even this long time fan is coming to that conclusion......

I was fortunate enough to enjoy the Landry from the beginning years, the struggles to finally win the big one, the great run of our 90's teams, but now it seems we are always one part away from truly being a contender while other teams
seem to maintain true competitiveness ( Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Patriots ) or turn things around faster than our " process" Rams, Philly

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
Well, if your plan is to reel off 14 straight wins then tonight doesn’t matter too much. If you lose tonight it COULD (not necessarily) mean you’re not a very good team and 5-11 could ensue.....

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The second game of the season is never "must win". Like all divisional games, it's of great importance and more important than most games but it's not the end of the world if we lose. The overreaction is palpable, just stop.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I guess for those who believe in Dak, it is a big game. For those of us who don't it is just another game in a season which is going nowhere.

glimmerman

Reaction score
This is a huge game. Division games always count the most. Need to win the division if we wants a shot.

After last weeks train wreck performance for Dak he needs to come out of the gate playing well. Move the Offense and put points up.

Defense needs to keep the pressure on the whole game. We can’t let up. Score first and often and keep the pedal down.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
If you're realistic about the team this year, not big at all. This team likely ain't making the playoffs this year, much less the Superbowl.

I'm just going to watch it and enjoy it. Beyond that, I'm not placing any weight on it.

Verdict

Reaction score
It was reported lately that if an NFL team loses its first two games, its chance of reaching the playoffs is 12%. :omg:

Yeah. Of course most of the 0 and 2 teams are bad. But not all 0 and 2 teams are equal.

We really need this win though. So do the Giants. This should be a real fist fight tonight.

I'm expecting more focus from the Cowboys and better game overall by the Cowboys.

GenoT

Reaction score
Somewhat of a big game, in that it’s against a division opponent.

Barring strange and unforeseen events, the only way this team makes the postseason is as a WC...so beating the Giants is an important step in that direction.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
This game is a huge game for both teams, I know it's early but the winner still has a chance to make the playoffs, the loser will be 0-2 and has zero chance IMO because of the strength of the NFC this year....I'm concerned about the cowboys offense after watching the end of last season and thus far this year...

JDSmith

Reaction score
I think the game is big for Dak. If we win and he doesn't play well I don't think it's big, because I don't think the Giants are a particularly good team. What we need is for Dak to play good football. Without that the team is going nowhere anyway. Beating a bad team by playing slightly less poorly won't mean squat this season. We hitched our wagon to Dak, if he can't pull it we'll be stuck in the mud whether we can manage to get by the relatively smooth patches or not.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
The TCU - Ohio State game last night at Jerry World was bigger. Probably the best game that will be played there the rest of 2018.
I dont think thats what the op means by "big" His context was big as in important to the 2018 Cowboys season