How big of game is this for Riverboat Mike

Techsass

Reaction score
Beating good teams, whether for real or just perceived, is always important. At this point you could even say it's more important than the actual W/L record.

cern

Reaction score
I’d like to play down the importance of this game in the overall aspect of the season. But I just read a great post in another thread which sparked this thought.

Isn’t this this the type of game we expect this new coaching hire to make a difference?

We brought in a proven HC to lead us over the hump. When does the hump begin? And when do we begin pressing for better results?
It began against the falcons. Despite being down 20 points, we were coached to victory. And lest the OP forget, we were but one bad ref's call from tying the rams game.

nobody

Reaction score
Seems to me that someone is very bitter that they were wrong about Garrett this whole time and is vindictive about it and taking it out on the new coaching staff for having been proven wrong.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It began against the falcons. Despite being down 20 points, we were coached to victory. And lest the OP forget, we were but one bad ref's call from tying the rams game.

A Rams team that then easily dispatched the eagles.

That Rams squad is good.

I would love to see the cowboys steam roll teams. But losing to a good team on the road by 3 points isn’t exactly shameful.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s your take . Not mine.

My take was Falcons had an epic collapse. And our coach blew the 4th and 3 call with Rams which could have tied the game. The interference call was questionable but I don’t believe Gallup gets separation from Ramsey without the contact .

So far, my take is our coaching decisions has hurt us not helped.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A Rams team that then easily dispatched the eagles.

That Rams squad is good.

I would love to see the cowboys steam roll teams. But losing to a good team on the road by 3 points isn’t exactly shameful.
Except we were favored to win . A game we could have won possibly with better coaching decisions. We could have at least tied it and extended the game.

I didn’t see how this alleged better coaching helped. That was my take. So far we don’t look like a better coached team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Seems to me that someone is very bitter that they were wrong about Garrett this whole time and is vindictive about it and taking it out on the new coaching staff for having been proven wrong.
I said from the beginning I’d hold our new HC feet to the fire. And I intend to. So far , Our new HC is making my objective easy.

And It doesn’t appear I was wrong about Garrett. After 2 games it appears he wasn’t doing too bad with the team he had.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Except we were favored to win . A game we could have won possibly with better coaching decisions. We could have at least tied it and extended the game.

I didn’t see how this alleged better coaching helped. That was my take. So far we don’t look like a better coached team.

We could have, but we didn’t. I’m going to wait and see more than two games before deciding one way or another on his coaching and how it’s going.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We could have, but we didn’t. I’m going to wait and see more than two games before deciding one way or another on his coaching and how it’s going.
I haven’t arrived at any final conclusions. I’m simply reporting my take after 2 games. I always attempt to leave myself room to be influenced with new data and results.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I haven’t arrived at any final conclusions. I’m simply reporting my take after 2 games. I always attempt to leave myself room to be influenced with new data and results.

I understand that. I’m not being critical of the thread. It’s a fair question to ask.

I’m not sure the exact number of games. I’m going to try my best to just judge the season in totality.

Truth is. The last coaching staff had some excellent regular seasons (and some bad ones). But the deciding issue was the lack of playoff success.

it’s all about whether McCarthy can get the team to an NFCCG or beyond. I would love for it to happen this season.

HungryLion

Reaction score

I also think they’re all “big games”. Every one of them is important. That’s part of what makes football so special. How important regular season games are and how much goes into them.

quickccc

Reaction score
Special Teams vs Special Teams ...both teams have reputed Special teams coaches ...Seattle has been long run known for
their usual splendid special teams play,.. we made the last two big splash special teams work that actually help us win the game,.ala onside recovery and clutch FG winning kick...

but Pollard was horrible on kick returns and Bones made a questionable 4th and 5 fake run that turned ball over to ATL

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I understand that. I’m not being critical of the thread. It’s a fair question to ask.

I’m not sure the exact number of games. I’m going to try my best to just judge the season in totality.

Truth is. The last coaching staff had some excellent regular seasons (and some bad ones). But the deciding issue was the lack of playoff success.

it’s all about whether McCarthy can get the team to an NFCCG or beyond. I would love for it to happen this season.
I’m not attempting to be any more or less than our local beat writers and local media who will report each week after the results.

You’re welcome to come back at the end of the season and provide final evaluation but I plan to provide my take on a more regular basis .

Id like to think we’re all rooting for the Cowboys success regardless who our HC is but it doesn’t release us from criticism. But this HC was touted as being hired to take us further than we’ve been. That sets a defined bar to hold accountable.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I’m not attempting to be any more or less than our local beat writers and local media who will report each week after the results.

You’re welcome to come back at the end of the season and provide final evaluation but I plan to provide my take on a more regular basis .

Id like to think we’re all rooting for the Cowboys success regardless who our HC is but it doesn’t release us from criticism. But this HC was touted as being hired to take us further than we’ve been. That sets a defined bar to hold accountable.

I’m not telling you to not share your opinion. Just providing my input.

Football is a results oriented business. If a head coach isn’t the solution, then they need to be held accountable and you keep moving on until you find one that is. IMO.

McCarthy will be judged the same.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Actually to add on. I just thought this.

McCarthy was hired because of his experience. He wasn’t hired to be a long term program builder. He was hired to win and win soon.

I think he needs to at least make an NFCCG within the first 2-3 years if not further. Before people start calling for his head and to maybe go with somebody else.

It’s not like hiring a younger, newer coach who you expect to give a bunch of time to build a program. They’re in win now mode. I don’t think any one regular season game matters necessarily.

but obviously they gotta win enough of them to make the playoffs and then they need to Have success in the playoffs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not telling you to not share your opinion. Just providing my input.

Football is a results oriented business. If a head coach isn’t the solution, then they need to be held accountable and you keep moving on until you find one that is. IMO.

McCarthy will be judged the same.
Cowboys Football this era under Jerry hasn’t always been very clear what our priority or agenda was.

If winning was the clear undisputed priority or goal then our ownership certainly has had a dysfunctional manner in achieving that remaining as GM while hiring less than Elite coaching then meddling and undermining their authority.

As a result of his ways and continued obstacles and handicaps I took a different approach in how I evaluated the coaching situation with little hope of the changes we all knew were needed.

But now we appear to have finally hired a HC with set parameters and established goals. And one I can decidedly present criticism on the results be held accountable since most appear to believe the obstacle is out of the way.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Cowboys Football this era under Jerry hasn’t always been very clear what our priority or agenda was.

If winning was the clear undisputed priority or goal then our ownership certainly has had a dysfunctional manner in achieving that remaining as GM while hiring less than Elite coaching then meddling and undermining their authority.

As a result of his ways and continued obstacles and handicaps I took a different approach in how I evaluated the coaching situation with little hope of the changes we all knew were needed. But now we appear to have finally hired a HC with set parameters and established goals. And one I can decidedly present criticism on the results be held accountable since most appear to believe the obstacle is out of the way.

I know Jerry is the #1 problem. Stephen is #2.

as a cowboys fan. I only continue to hope that they find a coach that can overcome
Them being a problem to achieve success.

Garret couldn’t do it. Which is why I wanted to move on and try somebody new.

I hope McCarthy can overcome the problems. We shall see.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know Jerry is the #1 problem. Stephen is #2.

as a cowboys fan. I only continue to hope that they find a coach that can overcome
Them being a problem to achieve success.

Garret couldn’t do it. Which is why I wanted to move on and try somebody new.

I hope McCarthy can overcome the problems. We shall see.
Yep .. we shall see.

I suspect the door will continue swinging until Jethro and his clan is gone. I’m a fan who lost hope with his foolishness decades ago.

cern

Reaction score
That’s your take . Not mine.

My take was Falcons had an epic collapse. And our coach blew the 4th and 3 call with Rams which could have tied the game. The interference call was questionable but I don’t believe Gallup gets separation from Ramsey without the contact .

So far, my take is our coaching decisions has hurt us not helped.
You're just trolling. Same old story. Same old song and dance. There's an aerosmith song in there somewhere. No one is fooled.