How can anyone still defend what we had coaching wise after this offseason?

phildadon86

Reaction score
In all honesty. Not even a year into the McCarthy era and we have revamped our entire DL, had our best draft in years, have brought in a great staff who are all excellent at what they do, and Jerry has been very quiet. How can anyone defend what has been going on under the prior regime? I’m honestly asking.

aria

Reaction score
Because Jerrah has always held the keys, he’s getting closer to the ground and wants to win? There’s zero proof Garrett was making personnel decisions and there’s zero proof McCarthy has anything to do with this. Maybe they want to give their new shiny toy HC no excuses.

I honestly don’t think MM is back there making draft picks and off seasons acquisitions a la BB. No way. He may have some input but that still doesn’t mean that’s what JJ will do. The interior D line has been a mess for years and we just lost our sack leader so we replaced him.

Did JG get credit for bringing in Quinn last year? Nope. There’s no reason to believe this is anything different.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
In all honesty. Not even a year into the McCarthy era and we have revamped our entire DL, had our best draft in years, have brought in a great staff who are all excellent at what they do, and Jerry has been very quiet. How can anyone defend what has been going on under the prior regime? I’m honestly asking.
I'm not sure anyone is defending it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Some people just can't admit that they were wrong.

Nothing more than that.

dfense

Reaction score
As far as I know, the regime is still there.

They should have been this aggressive with FA several years ago.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I’m not suggesting we had a great coaching staff, but are you suggesting that Garrett was making cap decisions and that he is responsible for free agent acquisition? Do you actually think he told Jerry last year not to sign defensive players last offseason, but rather be millions under the cap, keeping money in Jerry’s pocket?

Jerry hired a new coach and is now capitalizing on the fans’ hope and signing free agents on defense because you don’t hire a new coach and then hamstring him. He is trying to win one more SB and, as always, learning from his mistakes years later than what averages fans have known. Jerry saw that having a top offense meant nothing without a defense.

I love all the coaching changes this year, on paper clearly superior, but the coaches are not making these free agent decisions. Garrett is not in McCarthy’s atmosphere, but it was Jerry who hired him and said use the coaching staff I have Under contract. It was Jerry who allowed him to hire his own coaches piecemeal over several years. It was Jerry who was rightly tight fisted about adding free agents while trying to get a grip on the salary cap after years of bad decisions. Garrett was not a success, but it wasn’t all on him.

visionary

Reaction score
I’m not suggesting we had a great coaching staff, but are you suggesting that Garrett was making cap decisions and that he is responsible for free agent acquisition? Do you actually think he told Jerry last year not to sign defensive players last offseason, but rather be millions under the cap, keeping money in Jerry’s pocket?

Jerry hired a new coach and is now capitalizing on the fans’ hope and signing free agents on defense because you don’t hire a new coach and then hamstring him. He is trying to win one more SB and, as always, learning from his mistakes years later than what averages fans have known. Jerry saw that having a top offense meant nothing without a defense.

I love all the coaching changes this year, on paper clearly superior, but the coaches are not making these free agent decisions. Garrett is not in McCarthy’s atmosphere, but it was Jerry who hired him and said use the coaching staff I have Under contract. It was Jerry who allowed him to hire his own coaches piecemeal over several years. It was Jerry who was rightly tight fisted about adding free agents while trying to get a grip on the salary cap after years of bad decisions. Garrett was not a success, but it wasn’t all on him.

yep, it is completely by coincidence that we massively revamped our DL, brought in a real safety and fired frick and frack DCs

absolutely nothing to do with the new HC

:facepalm::facepalm:

75boyz

Reaction score
Because Jerrah has always held the keys, he’s getting closer to the ground and wants to win? There’s zero proof Garrett was making personnel decisions and there’s zero proof McCarthy has anything to do with this. Maybe they want to give their new shiny toy HC no excuses.

I honestly don’t think MM is back there making draft picks and off seasons acquisitions a la BB. No way. He may have some input but that still doesn’t mean that’s what JJ will do. The interior D line has been a mess for years and we just lost our sack leader so we replaced him.

Did JG get credit for bringing in Quinn last year? Nope. There’s no reason to believe this is anything different.

Yeah,
I guess if the ultimate end game of expectations is change for the sake of change. Maybe there's justification to feel optimistic then, but there's plenty of historical question marks still to be answered on this HC and staff's group resumes imo.
Is McC's body of work as a QB whisperer or a benefactor of Favre/Rodgers?
Why did all his playoff defenses perform so poorly excluding the lone SB run?
Is Nolan's track record a good overall pattern of performance?
What was the specific reason(s) for McC to be fired if his job performance still remained top notch?

Lastly, and in support of your position on Jerry still ultimately calling all the shots...
Why after a yr off supposedly studying all the film and assembling your hand picked top to bottom staff, do you keep a one year OC to call the plays which you have been adamant about doing and run an offense that is quite different from the system you have spent your entire 30 yr coaching life running?...
All in the name of supposed continuity of the previous year's success?

I guess these type questions need to be definitively answered and not discarded by group speculation before I commit to a full buy in.

Jerry's still the ultimate ringmaster and I'll continue to tread lightly until proven otherwise with regards to team decisions.

Go Cowboys

Aven8

Reaction score
The age of these vets and the quality is what has changed. It’s a total 180 from what we were doing. Remember everyone had to be younger than 28 before? That didn’t work out. This is all Mike and him getting with McClay and telling him what he wants.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The age of these vets and the quality is what has changed. It’s a total 180 from what we were doing. Remember everyone had to be younger than 28 before? That didn’t work out. This is all Mike and him getting with McClay and telling him what he wants.

I think there's some Jim Tomsula (Aldon Smith), John Fassel (Greg Zuerlein), and George Edwards (Everson Griffen) sprinkled in there.

75boyz

Reaction score
As far as I know, the regime is still there.

They should have been this aggressive with FA several years ago.

I agree on the same regime part.
But I think last year's 2 defensive and one offensive FA picks in Quinn, Bennett and Cobb are similar in quality to this year's 3 defensive choices in Poe, McCoy and Griffen.

Kind of a wash almost in my eyes but I guess we will see if there's a much improved on the field impact made by these decisions as compared to last year's.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

Just wait a year. It will be even more obvious. Also watch Garrett blow up the NYGs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The fact we have brought in a more experienced and proven HC allowing him to bring in his own staff with the exception of Moore should provide some renewed hope.

It shouldn’t be a slam on Garrett who hands were mostly tied and why I labeled him our Greatest Puppet. It is what it was.

Unfortunately the Football Idiot and his Cheapskate Son are still running Cowboys Football continuing to offer up their meddling and distractions while still being the biggest obstacles and handicaps to overcome . Much like Parcells encountered the last time we hired a proven HC which should leave us all cautiously excited.

All we have to ask is what could wrong? Lol

Watching yesterday’s training camp press conference offered me all I need to know with both Jones in why this franchise has struggled regardless who our coaches were this era.

BigD_95

Reaction score

From what I understand MM was handcuffed in GB. They wouldn't resign players or get free agents. So MM is probably loving the situation he is in now.