How close are you from walking away as a fan?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depends on why someone is a fan. I became an exclusive fan in the Ice Bowl so winning isn't the only thing.

I will watch the team play because I am a fan of that but I am not a fan of the organization, in fact, I can't stand them. And the bleed over has affected my acceptance of losing and dysfunction and I approach every game with the same thought. I am going to be happy they won or I am going to be happy that egotistical clown is angry and unhappy that they lost. I win either way. And to be honest with this dysfunctional clown circus, it's a tie.

It really doesn't come from the fan gene. It comes from the realization that whether they win or lose, it doesn't affect my life either way. I wasn't always like that, I was an awesome person to be around if they lost and took losing personally. I had my ego all tied up with the team.

My biggest obstacle to overcome, and it is getting more difficult, is that this has morphed from being the Dallas Cowboys to Booger's Boys.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Been a fan for 47 years and will be for life. But it’s never been more difficult. The fans have known for years Garrett couldn’t get it done but to sit and watch failure after failure and see Jerry continue to back him is just so painful. I seriously have no hope and find myself half wishing we don’t make the playoffs as I know if we do it gives Jerry reason to extend Garrett. And that may be the breaking point for many fans.

kskboys

Reaction score
You need to go back and look at our seasons prior to Jones buying the team. Landry and the old guard weren't winning anything. There ONLY thing old ownership/MGMT (Murchison/Schramm) did was hire Landry. Bum Bright never won anything and wasn't going to win anything. You think we'd have won more SBs? More likely we'd have looked like the Browns.
Yessssssss, you finally got it. We don't know. We've now had 25 years of bumbling frustration. We might have looked like the Browns, and we might have looked like the Pats. You don't know and neither do I.

Defending Jerry after watching this mess through over two decades is just weak, man. You have a terrible defensive argument.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If you’re a true fan, someone who grew up following the Cowboys then you’re a fan for life. If you’ve been following the Cowboys the past 35+ years and didn’t walk away after the 1988 and 89 season when they were 3-13 and 1-15 you’re not walking away now. Your fandom was put to a real test those years and if you stuck with the team when the franchise hit its lowest point, you’re sticking with them for the rest of your life. Only a true fan can handle this 25 year rut the Cowboys have been in and not turn their back and walk away.

scottsp

Reaction score
If I’m walking away from the Cowboys, I’ll be done with football altogether. Unfortunately for me, I find car wrecks fascinating. So for that, I tend to dig in just as much when this club isn’t doing so well.

Been that way since the early 70s. I know nothing else. Even though this franchise is more of a punchline now, I guess the soap opera keeps me engaged on some level.

Maybe I’m a lifer. Then again, I wouldn’t completely rule out a breaking point.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Yessssssss, you finally got it. We don't know. We've now had 25 years of bumbling frustration. We might have looked like the Browns, and we might have looked like the Pats. You don't know and neither do I.

Defending Jerry after watching this mess through over two decades is just weak, man. You have a terrible defensive argument.

But I have a pretty good idea. Aside from the Patriots, exactly zero teams have won as many or more Super Bowls since Jones bought the team. What you're insinuating is that some random dude could have purchased the team, then managed it better, then have had more Super Bowls than every other team in the league except for one.

No matter how you spin it, only one team has won as many or more Super Bowls than Jones since he bought the team.

Jones owns the team. He bought it with his money. He and his family have decided that they are going to handle football operations. They will do that as long as they own the team, and that's going to be for longer than you or I will be alive. You don't have to like it, but that's never going to change. Either come to terms with it and accept it or find another team to call your own, but for goodness sakes, quit whining like a baby about it.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Will never root for another team, but I sold 1/2 my PSLs early this year and don't know how much more of this Jerry Jones crap I can take as an investor.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Man. I've been a fan since 1971, and my parents were fans since the 1960 inaugural season. It would be weird to walk away. The only season I've ever missed was the 1987 one, and that was because I was living in Germany and had no way to access the games. Even then, I still read about every game in USA Today. If I walked away, I wouldn't root for some other NFL team. I would just quit watching pro football altogether. It's a strange thought.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fan for life. Been a fan since I was 6 in 1964.

BUT...I haven’t spent a dime on this team in over 10 years. No jerseys, hats, tshirts, etc. I was gifted some tickets last year to a game so technically I spent some money on concessions. But I refuse to put any of my money in the pocket of this obstinately foolish owner. Until changes are made how this team is run, my wallet is closed.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Or are you a fan for life, no matter what?

You’re 33 so you probably weren’t even following the Cowboys when they won their last Super Bowl. A lot of fans who start these threads never saw the Cowboys win a championship. The only good thing about getting old is I got to see all 5 of the Cowboys Super Bowl wins. The old-timers who’ve been following the Cowboys for decades don’t start these type of threads. They’re fans for life and have stuck with the team through the highs and the lows. You were still in diapers when the Cowboys won only four games in two seasons in 88 and 89. I’ve experienced extreme highs and extreme lows with the Cowboys. It’s frustrating right now and things aren’t looking good but the team still has a chance.

Big_D

Reaction score
If you’re a true fan, someone who grew up following the Cowboys then you’re a fan for life. If you’ve been following the Cowboys the past 35+ years and didn’t walk away after the 1988 and 89 season when they were 3-13 and 1-15 you’re not walking away now. Your fandom was put to a real test those years and if you stuck with the team when the franchise hit its lowest point, you’re sticking with them for the rest of your life. Only a true fan can handle this 25 year rut the Cowboys have been in and not turn their back and walk away.

It's not about a few bad seasons. It's about the long term pathetic state this team has been in. We were here for all the losing seasons. But once you lose hope what else is there? Just going through the motions of being a fan. Watching the Cowboys cause you're so used to doing it. Hope is the key here and in the current state there is none. You had it in 89, 90. you even had it in 2000, 01, 02. That's been gone for awhile now even with a talented team because of this ridiculous coaching experiment. Jerry can either make a proper decision or once again crap all over the fans. Save the true fan talk cause it's garbage.

The front office needs to care a little more. What a joke for the past dozen plus. I'm not going one season further with Jason Garrett and pretending everything's gonna be OK. True fans actually care about the foundation this team was built on. Quality coaching and winning. People seem more concerned with how much Jerry is worth and that he somehow still makes money. You stick through thick and thin unless the GM is all thin all the time.

Take a look around. Fans are so blatantly tired of it. Even the ones who been there since day 1. This offseason is a golden opportunity for Jerry to right the ship and bring hope back to this football team. We'll see how that goes??? Gotten to the point where fans don't even care anymore, don't buy merchandise, don't go to games etc.. pure apathy is the better solution? lol 89 they drafted a QB 1st overall and had a new coach. You don't keep a coach around like Jerry has done with Garrett and expect fans to still buy in. The guy makes one horrible decision after another like coaching is unimportant. He screwed this team back in 07 and just might do it again in 2020.

Javier

Reaction score
Been a fan since I played NFL Street back in the day on the ps2. This sports in Chile is practically inexistent, so I had to learn everything from zero. I don't know why I chose the Cowboys, maybe for Romo, but I am sure of one thing, I will never regret.

The glory days will comeback, guys. Someday we will retake our spot.

Here we say "You can't trust someone who gives up on his team, or worst, change of team"

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact that J12 can ask that question here speaks to why we are here and can remain fans.

This is our community venting ground because our family and friends just don't want to hear it. Hell, I'd complain to my wife and she'd just respond "just stop watching". What kind of answer is that? I am pissed, do not use logic on me. I was looking for "hell yes, I'm pissed too" and then we'd get in a contest about which of us was the most pissed and had the best right to be pissed.

But isn't that what keeps a lot of us here, this kindred sprits in agony? I can vent here and someone might respond with something I don't want to hear but it's not "just stop watching". Who else can feel your pain if you were around for the 70's and/or 90's. Who else has an owner like this one?

The one thing that is different here was that I got a bigger charge out of trashing Bogger when I knew he was footing the bill and I'd not given him a dime. There was my sense of twisted justice satiated there.

Well, there is one saving grace, we're not going through this alone. Negative, positive doesn't matter, we're all disappointed fans and this is a good group of folks to go through it with and we can still make each other laugh.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I’m still a fan of the team. I’m not a fan of the organization anymore. Winning nothing for 25 years will do that to you.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm a fan for life. But it's hard sometimes to watch and enjoy.

Praxit

Reaction score
..one thing for sure, I'll always be proud to be Dallas fan. Regardless of recent 20 yrs dysfunction. The history is rich of champions.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It's not about a few bad seasons. It's about the long term pathetic state this team has been in. We were here for all the losing seasons. But once you lose hope what else is there? Just going through the motions of being a fan. Watching the Cowboys cause you're so used to doing it. Hope is the key here and in the current state there is none. You had it in 89, 90. you even had it in 2000, 01, 02. That's been gone for awhile now even with a talented team because of this ridiculous coaching experiment. Jerry can either make a proper decision or once again crap all over the fans. Save the true fan talk cause it's garbage.

The front office needs to care a little more. What a joke for the past dozen plus. I'm not going one season further with Jason Garrett and pretending everything's gonna be OK. True fans actually care about the foundation this team was built on. Quality coaching and winning. People seem more concerned with how much Jerry is worth and that he somehow still makes money. You stick through thick and thin unless the GM is all thin all the time.

Take a look around. Fans are so blatantly tired of it. Even the ones who been there since day 1. This offseason is a golden opportunity for Jerry to right the ship and bring hope back to this football team. We'll see how that goes??? Gotten to the point where fans don't even care anymore, don't buy merchandise, don't go to games etc.. pure apathy is the better solution? lol 89 they drafted a QB 1st overall and had a new coach. You don't keep a coach around like Jerry has done with Garrett and expect fans to still buy in. The guy makes one horrible decision after another like coaching is unimportant. He screwed this team back in 07 and just might do it again in 2020.

We’re all frustrated but anyone who’s a true Cowboys fan isn’t frustrated enough to stop following the team. Part of being a fan is having loyalty and hope. A lot of teams fans are frustrated that’s part of being a sports fan. It may not get any better for the Cowboys with their next head coach. If you’ve lost all hope with the team then move on to something that doesn’t involve competition and dealing with ups and downs.

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
Theses are certainly bad times for being a Cowboys fan but I could never walk away. I was born a Cowboys fan through my Father & I'll continue to be one til the day I die.