How could wearing a mask help build immunity to COVID-19? It's all about the viral dose

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by joseephuss, Sep 26, 2020.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

26,698 Messages
    5,595 Likes Received
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-09-mask-immunity-covid-viral-dose.html

How could wearing a mask help build immunity to COVID-19? It's all about the viral dose

People infected with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, can spread the virus when they speak, sing, cough, sneeze or even just breathe. Scientists think face masks help limit virus spread by protecting everyone else from the infected wearer. As a result, face maks are now mandatory in many cities, states and countries to limit the spread of COVID-19.

People typically wear surgical, cloth or other face coverings that don't completely prevent the virus from infecting the wearer, though medical grade surgical masks do appear to offer more protection. Nonetheless, these don't have the same level of protection as N95 or P2 "respirator" masks worn by many health-care workers. Additionally, how we wear the mask matters, as touching it often and not completely covering the nose and mouth renders it ineffective.

While these face coverings may not completely prevent us from getting infected with COVID-19, they probably reduce the number of virus particles we inhale—the "viral dose". Scientists think a lower viral dose can reduce the severity of the disease we get. Indeed, where universal face masking is implemented, a much higher proportion of new infections with COVID-19 are asymptomatic.

Noclaf, DallasEast and DoctorChicken like this.
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Regular Joe....

55,597 Messages
    23,769 Likes Received
    So, the title of the thread suggest that wearing a mask cold help build immunity. But I didn't see anything that spoke to any of that. Is there some kind of study supporting that or something?

3. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Moderator

44,913 Messages
    29,411 Likes Received
    The article presents several postulations based upon immunity building but does not highlight the postulations' hypothesis. The hypothesis definition is found it the article's embedded New England Journal of Medicine link (e.g. "new infections with COVID-19 are asymptomatic"). Here are short excerpts from doctors Gandhi and Rutherford's opinion:

"...universal facial masking — might help reduce the severity of disease and ensure that a greater proportion of new infections are asymptomatic. If this hypothesis is borne out, universal masking could become a form of “variolation” that would generate immunity and thereby slow the spread of the virus..."

"Variolation was a process whereby people who were susceptible to smallpox were inoculated with material taken from a vesicle of a person with smallpox, with the intent of causing a mild infection and subsequent immunity. Variolation was practiced only until the introduction of the variola vaccine, which ultimately eradicated smallpox."

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2026913

The OP article's detailed premise is a continuation of this conjecture.

MichaelWinicki likes this.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

55,597 Messages
    23,769 Likes Received

OK, so no validated studies to support this hypothesis.

5. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Moderator

44,913 Messages
    29,411 Likes Received
    You are correct. Per the article:

"Could this lower viral dose help us build some immunity to the disease? Two researchers from the University of California have raised this possibility, writing in the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine. Although the theory hasn't been proven yet."

I have held an elementary (and very unscientific) conclusion similar to Dr. Gandhi and Dr. Rutherford for a long time. It will be interesting to me what their findings will be after conducting studies to test their theory. How long those studies might take is a good question. Definitely not good for my impatience. :laugh:

6. ABQCOWBOY

55,597 Messages
    23,769 Likes Received
    Well, hang in there DE!

;)

DallasEast likes this.
  7. DasSchnitzel

DasSchnitzel Well-Known Member

1,723 Messages
    3,455 Likes Received
    If it's an unconfirmed hypothesis then no, there won't be validated studies available to confirm or deny it.

8. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

20,898 Messages
    4,760 Likes Received
    I saw it in a couple of articles. Sounds hokey and just a way to get people to wear cloth if you ask me

Kevinicus likes this.
  9. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

7,921 Messages
    6,893 Likes Received
    Also consider how often do people even wear them? How much of their day is wearing a mask? And in that little bit of time how often are you exposed to the virus? So even if the theory is correct it doesn't really apply to most people.

10. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

8,423 Messages
    1,594 Likes Received
    I have posted with many of you for decades. Back when we had a forum that shall not be named, I made my leanings extremely clear. Now that I am 49 I have moderated some views. I have moved from a very conservative county in KS to a more conservative county in Florida. I wear the stupid mask in public. I do it so Karens on the other side do not freak out. I also do it because after selling my business, my new job requires traveling throughout the state of Florida. There are too many unknowns. I would feel horrible if I got someone else sick, not knowing I am an asymptomatic person with it from a recent trip.

On the other hand... I am about done with this ****.

Air Force One likes this.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

55,597 Messages
    23,769 Likes Received
    People, I think, need to be mindful of the situation. Trying to ride herd over folks is only going to last for a short while. Eventually, people are going to get tired of all of this and all of this is going to change. There is going to be backlash and when it comes, it's going to be ugly.